Author Topic: Lincoln Memorial Concert  (Read 26286 times)

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
Re: Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsan
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOL. Hey ricco do me a favor? U want to talk politics, start a new thread. Because you must be a Republican. I made no comment bout race. So Ill just leave it alone. 

Why would you think that I was a Republican?  A Republican U2 fan, no way, can't happen.  I am middle of the road, independant and anti-government.  

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
Re: Lincoln Memorial Concert
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2009, 05:41:31 PM »
What we all have to remember this is not a U2 concert.  It is a celebration for a new president--m the only difference this time is that we all get to see it.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2009, 05:44:47 PM »
What we all have to remember this is not a U2 concert.  It is a celebration for a new president--m the only difference this time is that we all get to see it.

I agree whitewave. All I did was state on this thread that I prefer to listen to Bono sing, and not preach so much and kiss ass too much with poiticians. But actually, now that I think about the occaision and what it was, you are completely right. It was not a U2 show by a LONG shot, and (my hero by the way) had every right to say soem of the things he said.

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »
Alright, don't lock or delete the thread, I will let it go.  I thought intelligent subjective discussion was allowed for all U2 fans.  I gave my opinion about Bono ruining the performance, not the first time.  I love U2 and their music because they are honest, and I am honest, that is why I am so passionate about my opinion, I'm not going to blow smoke and say that today was the greatest thing ever, like the Brooklyn Bridge show in 2005 or the shows that I have seen them in over the years.  I've seen them live, I've been caught up in Bono's antics, I've even talked to the guy and high fived him during shows.  I love him.  I just cringe as another poster put it, when he gets repetitive with his act.  I expect more.  There is such a thing as over-exposure and although rare in the entertainment industry, I think he may have achieved this feat.

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2009, 05:49:50 PM »
Now carry on with the thread and praise todays performance all you want.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  Right?

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2009, 05:52:24 PM »
Correct. We are all U2 fans = friends  :D

Offline bateylaw

• Babyface
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
Personally, I was a bit underwhelmed by today's performance.  It seemed like there was something a bit off.  I do allow for the possibility it was just me.  Everytime U2 plays a big stage I hold my breath hoping and praying Bono doesn't say or do something regrettable.  I really don't know why he usually steps up to the plate and performs well.  I think it's just that I've seen, heard and felt the magic they can bring to a performance and I want the rest of the world to feel it too.  I must say I did really like that Bono changed the lyrics in Pride from "early morning" to "early evening" to be historically accurate.  With MLK's son there that was appropriate and a long time coming.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsan
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »
Hey ricco its all good here. Nothing better than a healthy debate bout U2. Politics though? Ah not so much. In here anyway. LOL

Offline macmango

• Stateless
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2009, 06:22:28 PM »
I'd love to hear from someone who was there.  I wonder how the band and the songs came across to the live audience?

Today, U2 delivered exactly what was expected.  Bono seemed very, very honored to be on that platform.  The emotion that came through in his singing may have caused him to push a little hard with his delivery, but the strength and sincerity overshadowed any imperfections.

Proud as usual to be a U2 fan. :)

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »
Personally, I was a bit underwhelmed by today's performance.  It seemed like there was something a bit off.  I do allow for the possibility it was just me.  Everytime U2 plays a big stage I hold my breath hoping and praying Bono doesn't say or do something regrettable.  I really don't know why he usually steps up to the plate and performs well.  I think it's just that I've seen, heard and felt the magic they can bring to a performance and I want the rest of the world to feel it too.  I must say I did really like that Bono changed the lyrics in Pride from "early morning" to "early evening" to be historically accurate.  With MLK's son there that was appropriate and a long time coming.

Yeah, I noticed that he corrected that lyric as well.  Good job there.

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »

Agreed. The emotions were different, and the performance had to be different. You don't invite U2 to a Presidential Inauguration and expect them not to do what Bono did. Love it or hate it, he was simply Bono.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »
I must say I did really like that Bono changed the lyrics in Pride from "early morning" to "early evening" to be historically accurate.  With MLK's son there that was appropriate and a long time coming.

I think he changed these lyrics for a good part of the last tour.

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »
I enjoyed the performance for what it's worth, though I did think it wasn't as polished as it could have been; I'll attribute that to the band not having been on tour for a while, and so being a little out of practice when it comes to playing as a cohesive unit. It will be the same for the first few shows on the next tour too, I'm sure, until they've gotten back into practice.

Am I the only Canadian who saw it on TV? Thank goodness that my University carries HBO Canada!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2009, 06:40:16 PM »
U2 gave a lovely performance. Shortest SG post ever ;D

Revolver7

« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2009, 06:41:21 PM »
I loved the performance!  8) It was fitting