Author Topic: Lincoln Memorial Concert  (Read 26193 times)

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
Re: Lincoln Memorial Concert
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2009, 02:19:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I need the *bursting into tears* smiley!!!!

me too!

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 02:20:28 PM »
WHy no bridge in COBL?

I know - that was too bad! My favourite part...

Probably to keep things tight. They still have to fit in Obama's speech and Beyonce as the closing act.

I wish Bono had been in better voice and he forgot the words to COBL at one point. But Edge and Adam looked so pleased to be there. Larry just looked like Larry.

Did anyone notice Edge looking towards Obama or in that direction and having a big smile on his face?  I agree with above, Adam also looked really happy to be at the gig and Larry, well he was Larry, if he smiled, I would think something was wrong!!!

Great performance even though Bono's voice was not in top form, he still delivered and delivered big time with ad-lib and his other antics.  Adding the "It's not just an American Dream, but an Irish Dream, a European Dream" etc.  I also loved how he said about MLK's dream is to be fullfilled come Tuesday...so f'n fitting.  Man, it was great. I am a 41 year old male and fill like a giddy school girl...lol

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2009, 02:21:45 PM »
I posted an mp3 that includes the MLK speech and both U2 songs.

I hope this allowed here, if not I'm sorry in advance.

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsan
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2009, 02:22:25 PM »
Garth Brooks sounds good. LOL. The boys better watch out! Im kidding! Man, Im glad their on the bill. I cant imagine being there. You can feel the unity of the crowd through the TV. LOL.

Yeah, I am watching the football game and recording the show.   I wonder what the crowd reaction is going to be to U2...I am sure it is going to be good, but such and american even and having a Irish band play is pretty cool...I mean it is what America is all about and if ANY band that is not American should play, it is fitting that it be U2.

"We fell in love with America and America fell in Love with us".

Already watched.  I had this feeling during a commercial break to switch and sure enough they were in the middle of pride, so I rewound the DvR to see the beginning and was like...what football game....hehehe

Anyways, yeah, I have been a Warner fan for a long time and I am so glad to see the Cardinals winning at this point..hope they can make it to the SB!!!

Cards are killing the Eagles right now.  Warner is on fire and McNabb is...not.  Everyone going in was talking about how McNabb had playoff experience and that would see him through.  Hello?  Warner's been to two Super Bowls, won one, and has a MVP.  I think that's helping him this year.

Anyway, it was a great performance by U2.  I hope you enjoy it when you watch it later! :)

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2009, 02:23:12 PM »
It's pretty cold in DC today, isn't it?  I'm sure that and the emotion affected Bono's voice.  Other than a couple of cracked notes, I think he sounded amazing!  I wish I could have watched... :'(

~L

p.s.

I'll check out the mp3, justin - thx!

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsan
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2009, 02:23:30 PM »
And yea Starfish I got a bit tear eyed. Corny as it sounds.

silvrlvr

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2009, 02:24:05 PM »
WHy no bridge in COBL?

I know - that was too bad! My favourite part...

Probably to keep things tight. They still have to fit in Obama's speech and Beyonce as the closing act.

I wish Bono had been in better voice and he forgot the words to COBL at one point. But Edge and Adam looked so pleased to be there. Larry just looked like Larry.

Did anyone notice Edge looking towards Obama or in that direction and having a big smile on his face?  I agree with above, Adam also looked really happy to be at the gig and Larry, well he was Larry, if he smiled, I would think something was wrong!!!

Great performance even though Bono's voice was not in top form, he still delivered and delivered big time with ad-lib and his other antics.  Adding the "It's not just an American Dream, but an Irish Dream, a European Dream" etc.  I also loved how he said about MLK's dream is to be fullfilled come Tuesday...so f'n fitting.  Man, it was great. I am a 41 year old male and fill like a giddy school girl...lol

Yes, I saw Edge smiling at them. Sweet moment.

streetmission

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »
U2.com has an update about the rehearsals and how cold it was.  Bono said "I feel like I'm party crashing the American dream." :D

They have a couple of pictures from last night too.  Here's a good one:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

silvrlvr

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
Love, love, love that photo.

Everybody is out on stage now, including the band, to sing America The Beautiful. Hugs and kisses and hands over hearts. Perfect ending.

Offline Alex

• Wanderer
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »
Oh my god that photo is  :o :o :o :o

I mean  :o :o :o

Srsly  :o

Offline CharityDance

• Stateless
  • ...and turn me around tonight
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2009, 02:30:50 PM »
I agree that he wasn't in the best of voice.  But so much emotion!  The pause after "an Israeli dream" -- I wonder, was he about to chicken out, or was he consciously trying to make us ask ourselves if he would add "a Palestinian dream"?  Gotta say the Obamas looked rather blase except when they got the direct shout-out at the beginning of COBL.

Offline the Edge Gotto

• Elevated
  • U2, Peter Gabriel, and Genesis shall dominate
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2009, 02:32:24 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a Youtube video or something where I can watch the entire concert (I want to see U2 but my parents also want to see John Legend)? I don't have HBO.

silvrlvr

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2009, 02:33:11 PM »
I agree that he wasn't in the best of voice.  But so much emotion!  The pause after "an Israeli dream" -- I wonder, was he about to chicken out, or was he consciously trying to making us ask ourselves if he would add "a Palestinian dream"?  Gotta say the Obamas looked rather blase except when they got the direct shout-out at the beginning of COBL.

during the rehearsal last night, he called for a cease fire, and then Hamas agreed to one today (we'll see how long that lasts.) Given that, maybe he was deciding whether to say it. But once you mention the Israelis you have to give the Palestinians equal time. I thought it was a little off-key: it was America's day, after all. I wouldn't expect a shoutout to us if this was held in London or Berlin.

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »
Did you catch the ending where Larry was like the last person on the stage and Biden and Obama went to shake some hands...he had a look on his face like "oh f**"..but then the camera panned out, but you can see that both Biden and Obama talked with Larry...then the camera panned out and it ended...funny stuff.  It looked like Biden said something that made Larry laugh as he bent over and then Obama talked with him and too me it looked like he put his arm on Larry's shoulder..not sure will have to look again.  The look on Larry's face though was classic.

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »
THAT WAS AWESOME!