Author Topic: Lincoln Memorial Concert  (Read 26295 times)

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
Re: Lincoln Memorial Concert
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2009, 04:26:42 PM »
Am I the only U2 fan honest enough to say that today performance was ruined by Bono's over the top antics and ego?  He freaking ruined those songs with his rambling and butt kissing of Obama and Biden.  I have been a huge U2 fan since 1981 and just wish that he wasn't so over-exposed.  He was way over the top today.  It was ridiculous and embarrassing.  Come on Bono, stop trying to steal the show from your bandmates and other performers because when you come up short, you look foolish.

Don't get mad, I still love U2, just disappointed.  And this is not my first post @u2 forums.  I had to re-register because I have not been on here in a year.

I thought the rehearsal was better than todays performance.  2 cents.  I can't wait to hear the new single and album and hopefully a tour.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2009, 04:31:30 PM »
Agree, Bono took it as a chance to promote Bono Inc not U2 and it is very disturbing. Larry will not be happy. The cracks in U2 are starting to show. Bono shut the f*** up.

Offline shkee23

• Wanderer
  • That's where Adam is...Lost in Space
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Agree, Bono took it as a chance to promote Bono Inc not U2 and it is very disturbing. Larry will not be happy. The cracks in U2 are starting to show. Bono shut the f*** up.

When exactly did he promote himself?

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
Yeah, because Bono's never been, like, political before.

</sarcasm>

;D

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2009, 04:36:59 PM »
Yes, he has been poitical, but like Ricco is saying, its a personal observation. I agree with him, I would rather listen to the lyrics U2 wrote when they originally wrote the songs, not ad-libbed lines for the the ocaision stuff! Aren't U2's lyrics supposed to say these things anyway - why change them?
Again, just observations - I still LOVE the band & Bono!

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsan
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »
I cringe sometimes when Bono opens his mouth. But I really dont think he said or did anything wrong. And, as for kissing Obama's ass? I think he was jus being grateful for being part of the event. Alot of the other musicians did the same.

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2009, 04:47:03 PM »
I have no problems with him being political or even adlibbing, but he used to adlib and make it rhyme and actually went somewhere with it, it was just rambling today and he had trouble rhyming it and he just trailed off a few times like he was drunk or forgot his point.

Oh and by the way Bono, I think everyone in the world knows that you four boys are from the north side of Dublin.  Another old, predictable and tired line.

I love 'em, just get Bono to settle down focus on hitting notes and not what kind of statement he thinks he has to make.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
I have no problems with him being political or even adlibbing, but he used to adlib and make it rhyme and actually went somewhere with it, it was just rambling today and he had trouble rhyming it and he just trailed off a few times like he was drunk or forgot his point.

Oh and by the way Bono, I think everyone in the world knows that you four boys are from the north side of Dublin.  Another old, predictable and tired line.

I love 'em, just get Bono to settle down focus on hitting notes and not what kind of statement he thinks he has to make.

Spot on!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »
Rambles on like a mad man

I wonder if Bono got into the booze before the performance. He is known to like it a lot and who could blame him in the cold. Sounded like it as the rehearsal was 50 times better and his comments  between songs were almost unbearable. Get off the mid day booze Bono.

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »
Am I the only U2 fan honest enough to say that today performance was ruined by Bono's over the top antics and ego?  He freaking ruined those songs with his rambling and butt kissing of Obama and Biden.  I have been a huge U2 fan since 1981 and just wish that he wasn't so over-exposed.  He was way over the top today.  It was ridiculous and embarrassing.  Come on Bono, stop trying to steal the show from your bandmates and other performers because when you come up short, you look foolish.

Don't get mad, I still love U2, just disappointed.  And this is not my first post @u2 forums.  I had to re-register because I have not been on here in a year.

I thought the rehearsal was better than todays performance.  2 cents.  I can't wait to hear the new single and album and hopefully a tour.

This post is hilarious. You act like this is something new. This was Bono being Bono, like it or not. In fact I thought he would have gone even bigger.  I have no problem with anyone who doesn't like the performance but I don't think he was trying to steal the show from his band mates or other performers.

You guys did see Live Aid, A Conspiracy of Hope, Live 8, Make Poverty History concert in Melbourne, etc , etc??

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »
Here's COBL (tv version) from youtube.

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »
Yes, he has been poitical, but like Ricco is saying, its a personal observation. I agree with him, I would rather listen to the lyrics U2 wrote when they originally wrote the songs, not ad-libbed lines for the the ocaision stuff! Aren't U2's lyrics supposed to say these things anyway - why change them?
Again, just observations - I still LOVE the band & Bono!

Changing the lyrics is totally a matter of opinion. I know a lot of people hate it, I personally love it. It's one of the reasons I got so into live  tape trading back in the day and still collect CDs and mp3s of their live shows. I love the lyric changes, snippets of other songs and ramblings.  They don't always work, but its fun to see what he is going to do. If you want the original there is always the CD.

Whether you love it or hate, please understand Bono has been doing it from the beginning.

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2009, 05:12:17 PM »

This post is hilarious. You act like this is something new. This was Bono being Bono, like it or not. In fact I thought he would have gone even bigger.  I have no problem with anyone who doesn't like the performance but I don't think he was trying to steal the show from his band mates or other performers.

You guys did see Live Aid, A Conspiracy of Hope, Live 8, Make Poverty History concert in Melbourne, etc , etc??

...and any of their own concerts?!  You're right, Justin - Bono is just doing his thing.

~L

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »

Yeah, but he was cool then, came across as sincere and it did not affect his ability to stick with the song and hit the notes, now he just comes across as a phony that can't put two coherent sentences together and then he rambles on at the beginning of songs, throws his bandmates off, loses pace, etc.  Maybe it was just today and they will rehearse a bit more before hitting the road.  Just on the national stage, you'd think that he would concentrate on the music.  I saw them early on during Vertigo in San Jose (4/10/05) and they seemed ready to perform.  Everyone in the band performed well except for Bono.  Just my opinion.  You can agree to disagree, I don't care.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsan
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »
I respect the negative comments. But this was such an historic day for the US, I wasnt offended by his actions. This day was more about our new President! And  Springsteen and Mellencamp's performances  rocked!