Author Topic: Lincoln Memorial Concert  (Read 26619 times)

Offline macmango

• Stateless
Re: Lincoln Memorial Concert
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2009, 06:48:29 PM »
BTW
We should all be ecstatic that both The Edge and Adam got new guitars for Christmas!  :D

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2009, 07:07:55 PM »
Wow.  That was a beautiful concert.  Brought a tear to my American eye.  I don't know what you all are talking about.  Sure, Bono's voice sounded a little rough, but I thought they were obviously thrilled and excited to be there.  So glad to see them live again!  Edge was bouncing all over the place.  Bono looked very emotional.  I'm not a performer, so I don't know what it's like performing outside in  the winter, but I can only assume it may not bring out your best performance.  All the performers were beautiful.  A nice cross-section of American (and Irish) popoular music.  Jon Bon Jovi- what a nice surprise.  My kids loved Usher.  I was happy to see James Taylor (is it me or does he have a Lincolnesque look going on?), John Mellencamp and Garth Brooks (don't laugh, he is a fun performer).  Sometimes I am so flipping proud to be American.  This should be a great week.  (Quit laughing.  I'm allowed a patriotic moment, aren't I?)  (I want to know who knitted Pete Seeger's hat.  Awesome!)

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow.  That was a beautiful concert.  Brought a tear to my American eye.  I don't know what you all are talking about.  Sure, Bono's voice sounded a little rough, but I thought they were obviously thrilled and excited to be there.  So glad to see them live again!  Edge was bouncing all over the place.  Bono looked very emotional.  I'm not a performer, so I don't know what it's like performing outside in  the winter, but I can only assume it may not bring out your best performance.  All the performers were beautiful.  A nice cross-section of American (and Irish) popoular music.  Jon Bon Jovi- what a nice surprise.  My kids loved Usher.  I was happy to see James Taylor (is it me or does he have a Lincolnesque look going on?), John Mellencamp and Garth Brooks (don't laugh, he is a fun performer).  Sometimes I am so flipping proud to be American.  This should be a great week.  (Quit laughing.  I'm allowed a patriotic moment, aren't I?)  (I want to know who knitted Pete Seeger's hat.  Awesome!)

Hear, Hear, Yooper!  I haven't felt this optimistic and inspired since . . . listening to my last U2 song! :-)  Hope and inspiration are powerful forces . . .
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:16:44 PM by MirrorballMoon »

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2009, 07:19:19 PM »
I thought this concert - and the whole event - was incredible! Edge certainly was bouncing off the walls, and that brought a smile to my face. I didn't find anything rough in Bono's voice, even in the bitter cold I thought he sounded great.
And he only made one teeny political-related comment, barely. Just "Also an Israeli dream...also a Palestinian dream..." No big deal, nothing to argue about.

Yooper, I liked Pete Seeger's hat too! Maybe you could knit one, eh? ;)

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2009, 07:28:25 PM »
Like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, to me it was Bono being Bono and with that comes the improvisation and the changing of the lyrics.  To me, what he said and what he sung was very fitting...in now way was he trying to make it a Bono moment, to me it came more accross as being and American thing, "Let freedom ring"...etc.  I think that calling out Obama and Biden was pretty cool as when he did it, it fit pretty well.

The biggest thing was the fact that they all were excited to be at the event and it showed.  The whole, we are Irish boys from Dublin was also pretty fitting, being that they were the only non-american act, presenter or anything at an American event...I mean, yeah we heard it before, but the point he was trying to make that even 4 boys from Dublin are/can be at such an event and he was sincere about it.

In the ned it was a great performance, something that stood out from the rest of the performances and the most fitting as well...especially with Pride.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »
The most poignant moment of the whole thing, was when Bono sang "What ever happened to the Beauty inside of me....!!"

He really was examining himself.

Bono is certainly on a self destruction process but don't worry, like most artists that is when he does his best stuff. He was self-destructive all through Achtung Baby. Look at Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrision and even Lennon.

This time next year, Bono will be burnt out and washed up somewhere in his own private drunk oblivion, screaming at the walls. Like when he winded up in Bali after a 5 week bender.

He is going for one last shot at it before he burns out.

The next year will be like a light bulb going brighter just before it burns out.

Americans are seriously funny people. To see the Lincoln day as anything more than the klitch that it was is a joke in itself.

"Whatever happened to the Beauty inside America...."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:39:52 PM by Bono in Bonolands »

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »
The most poignant moment of the whole thing, was when Bono sang "What ever happened to the Beauty inside of me....!!"

Bono is certainly on a self destruction process but don't worry, like most artists that is when he does his best stuff. He was self-destructive all through Achtung Baby. Look at Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrision and even Lennon.

This time next year, Bono will be burnt out and washed up somewhere in his own private drunk oblivion, screaming at the walls. Like when he winded up in Bali after a 5 week bender.

The next year will be like a light bulb going brighter just before it burns out.

Americans are seriously funny people. To see the Lincoln day as anything more than the klitch that it was is a joke in itself.

"Winded up?" Have you even read your post? You sound like the one on a bender...

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »

"Whatever happened to the Beauty inside America

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »

Why are you on these forums again? I was under the impression it was for U2 fans.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »
I think some of us here have lost sight of the fact that this was not a U2 concert.  What seems incredibly repetitive to us ("North side of Dublin", "American Dream...Irish Dream...African Dream" or whatever) is NOT repetitive to the audience today.  He was singing to the 100,000 people there, he was singing to Obama et al, and he was singing to a television audience the VAST majority of which are not U2 fans.  So this may be the first time they ever heard him say things like this.  So I'm ok with him falling back on familiar territory.  The only "Grandstanding" i thought he may have done was trying to get the crowd to sing, "Oh oh oh oh" at the end of Pride.  It seemed more like a concert thing than any kind of tribute performance.  That being said, they were by far the best.  I am a big fan of Springsteen and I thought Bruce was a bit underwhelming.  the wrong song to sing acoustically.  It would have been great to see a full version of it.  

As for making a big deal about Obama, I don't get it either.  They wouldn't be doing this if he were white.  If he said everything EXACTLY the same as he does now but he were white, it wouldn't be a big deal (actually, he'd be John Kerry).  and if McCain had won, they never would have done this either.  but what are you gonna do?

But U2 played live and the Eagles were eliminated from the playoffs.  Good day.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »

Who pi**ed in your vegemite? All the posts that I've seen of yours have been negative and conspiratorial in nature, so I'm left to wonder why you bother coming here. This is not a pro-U2 site, but I don't see the fun in coming here to rag on a band that you apparently don't like.

Hang in there...things will get better.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2009, 07:53:20 PM »
It was just the way Bono spoke when he said those words...

In essence if you listen to COBL the whole build up of the song is culminated into those words.

Whatever happened to the Beauty inside of me....:

It is a self reflective song, while the blinding lights of the city are there, at the same time the writer is examining himself and Bono really drove this home in the concert. Like the first time he wrote it.

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2009, 08:02:28 PM »
Ditto, Stateless.

I was pretty surprised when I first read they'd be performing...didn't really think it was their place but I enjoyed it immensely and was glad to see how happy the entire band was too. And with all that's been said and done, I really admire Bono for always saying what he says or doing what he's doing. I don't know many people (if any?) that would have the GUTS to stand before, what was it, 500-800,000 people and say ANYTHING let alone comment on the American dream as a foreigner etc. I've never really admired America as much as Bono, nor shared his unyielding hope and optimism in it, but the man is brave. And no matter what he does people, fans and non-fans alike, will criticize him. I see why ppl can't stand the man and see a narcissistic, pompous and self-righteous prat but I see his compassion, determination and sincerity. I do think he's sincere; he's just a really colorful personality...to say the least. But I do think something about him has changed in the past 8 or so odd years...in terms of how he presents himself, little things, nuances that could perhaps be more irritating  ;) He's got heart though...I'd find it difficult to show my face in public with the knowledge of so many ppl hating me.

Side note: when Will.I.Am was singing, was anyone else surprised he changed the line "Overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism/
But we still got terrorists here livin/In the USA, the big CIA"....took out the CIA bit. Sure it wasn't the time and place for criticism but I think Bono would've sang a line like that...you know?

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsa
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »
And yes, we americans are funny people Bono in Bonolands. Id like to know what you meant by that? Better yet thats ok, I dont feel like reading another one of your ignorant posts.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: Ultraviolet (Light My Way) !imsa
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2009, 08:26:08 PM »
And yes, we americans are funny people Bono in Bonolands. Id like to know what you meant by that? Better yet thats ok, I dont feel like reading another one of your ignorant posts.

anthony my friend, go to the poetry thread. Go over to the light ;) ;D