Author Topic: The REDGEistry - Edge Lovers of @U2 unite!  (Read 14953 times)

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
The REDGEistry - Edge Lovers of @U2 unite!
« on: December 18, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »
I know we've already got our own little appreciation festival going on in "The Edge Is Just Too Cool" but I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we get to wax poetic as to WHY we love Mr. The Edge with some specifics.

Here's a list of questions for all of you, curious to the responses!

I'm going to answer first and then make a "blank" list which is easier for you to cut/paste your responses later...

Edge fan since - 1983
Favourite Edge eras (in order) - Now, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby
Favourite Edge look - PopMart, of course
The Edge is old enough to be my... (son/schoolmate/wise older brother/dad/granddad) - Wise older brother
Best Edge riffs - Until The End Of The World, Mysterious Ways, One, Last Night On Earth (Popmart style)
Best Edge solos - The Fly, Unknown Caller, Love Is Blindness, Bullet The Blue Sky
Best Edge facial hair - The PopStache.  No contest.
Best Edge hat - Joshua Tree, followed closely by the classic black beanie.
Best Edge performance in a U2 Concert video - Popmart, followed very closely by the JT-era "U2 Live In Paris" - he was SO on fire!!
One word to describe The Edge - Genius
Two words to describe The Edge - The Genius
What do you think he'll be doing post-U2? - Music producer (or SUPERMODEL, baby)
Favourite Edge guitar - Rickenbacker 330, it's so purty.  Followed closely by the epic Gibson Explorer, of course.
What's the closest you've ever been to greatness? - Just concerts... Chicago Sept 12 (right beside the claw leg on his side, front row outer ring), Chicago Sept 13 (directly in front of his amps, front row outer ring), Toronto Sept 16 (a few people left of front row centre outer ring - closest ever, he was literally 10 ft away at some points *squee*), Toronto Sept 17 (lower bowl at Rogers centre diagonal to stage on Edge side) and Vancouver Oct 28 (14 rows up in lower bowl of BC Place on his side diagonal to stage).
The one Edge-related video on YouTube you think everyone needs to see - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why The Edge? - In my early teens The Edge was the very first MUSICIAN I started listening to and made me appreciate real music at a young age while my friends were listening to throwaway pop songs.  His innovative and creative way of playing is truly incredible and all at once can give me goosebumps or bring tears to my eyes in a way that no other guitarist can.  He's also without argument one of the most lovely people in music, a heart of gold, intelligent and wonderful to listen to in interviews, charming and a beautiful soul.  You rock, Mr. The Edge... and now I'm speechless!
Favourite Edge photos

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Airborne Ranger
Re: The REDGEistry - Edge Lovers of @U2 unite!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:17:43 PM »
Here's the post you can cut/paste your answers into:

Edge fan since -
Favourite Edge eras (in order) -
Favourite Edge look -
The Edge is old enough to be my... (son/schoolmate/wise older brother/dad/granddad) -
Best Edge riffs -
Best Edge solos -
Best Edge facial hair -
Best Edge hat -
Best Edge performance in a U2 Concert video -
One word to describe The Edge -
Two words to describe The Edge -
What do you think he'll be doing post-U2? -
Favourite Edge guitar -
What's the closest you've ever been to greatness? -
The one Edge-related video on YouTube you think everyone needs to see -
Why The Edge? -
Favourite Edge photos

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 03:19:17 PM »
One word to describe The Edge - Genius
Two words to describe The Edge - The Genius
[/quote]

EF=awesome

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here's the post you can cut/paste your answers into:

Edge fan since - 1991. The Fly converted me.
Favourite Edge eras (in order) - AB, POPMart, NLOTH
Favourite Edge look - Purple ZOOROPA Uniform
The Edge is old enough to be my... (son/schoolmate/wise older brother/dad/granddad) - Wise Older Brother
Best Edge riffs - The Fly, BTBS, UC, Magnificent, MW, Exit, Bad, Discotheque, Streets, SBS, Wire ETC ETC ETC
Best Edge solos - The Fly, UC, BTBS live, NYD ETC ETC
Best Edge facial hair - PopStache
Best Edge hat - Beret in ZOOROPA uni
Best Edge performance in a U2 Concert video - ZOO TV
One word to describe The Edge - Underrated
Two words to describe The Edge - Musical genius
What do you think he'll be doing post-U2? - Solo work
Favourite Edge guitar - Explorer
What's the closest you've ever been to greatness? - U2 360, 10 rows back, Rose Bowl
Why The Edge? - Because he's a maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagic man
Favourite Edge photos

Boom Cha!

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
This will take a lot of time. I'll work on this sometime in the near future.

KTELF!  8)

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 03:51:54 PM »
Edge fan since - 2005
Favourite Edge eras (in order) - Pop Edge, NLOTH Edge
Favourite Edge look - Pop, NLOTH
The Edge is old enough to be my... (son/schoolmate/wise older brother/dad/granddad) - Dad: scary.
Best Edge riffs - all (informative, I know, I try)
Best Edge solos - all
Best Edge facial hair - POP!
Best Edge hat - JTEH
Best Edge performance in a U2 Concert video - Darn, I don't have a concert video. Sad, I know.
One word to describe The Edge - Magical
Two words to describe The Edge - The Best, Sonic Architect
What do you think he'll be doing post-U2? - Become the #1 best selling artist EVER
Favourite Edge guitar - The Explorer!
What's the closest you've ever been to greatness? - The inaugural concert in DC maybe.
The one Edge-related video on YouTube you think everyone needs to see - (too lazy to find)
Why The Edge? - Isn't it obvious? He's too cool.
Favourite Edge photos (too lazy again to find and post, but the one with Edge and the eagle at the DC inaugural concert)

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
;D Joe

Here you go, Dudette

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 04:19:40 PM »
Thanks, EF.

Offline rockmusicnut (whenyoufindoutwhat'sworthkeeping)

• Airborne Ranger
  • with a breath of kindness blow the rest away - rr
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 05:18:04 PM »
Edge fan since - atyclb came out
Favourite Edge eras (in order) - jt/ R&h, ab/ zootv/z (the latter for the clothes dunno y for the 1st)
Favourite Edge look - jt/ r&h i sure as heck like that ace of spades hat
The Edge is old enough to be my... (son/schoolmate/wise older brother/dad/granddad) - dad
Best Edge riffs - not sure
Best Edge solos - bullet and the fly
Best Edge facial hair - did i say jt?
Best Edge hat - ace of spades
Best Edge performance in a U2 Concert video - dunno
One word to describe The Edge - whitty
Two words to describe The Edge - sonic scientist
What do you think he'll be doing post-U2? - maybe giving guitar lessons or producing records.
Favourite Edge guitar - the explorer
What's the closest you've ever been to greatness? - will be is as close as i can on july 12 from seats.  aka section 119 row 3.
The one Edge-related video on YouTube you think everyone needs to see - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why The Edge? -
Favourite Edge photos

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 07:15:30 PM »
Hmm... a suspiciousBonogirl eyes the proliferation of Edge threads.  And btw, EF, why can't I choose "The Edge is old enough to be my HUSBAND!?"

Offline excavation

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 08:41:51 PM »
I'm with you Yooper.  It's getting a bit out of hand.  We may need to have a serious discussion with NS about all this...

:P :-*

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »
I'm posting here to remind myself to do this.  I want to dedicate some time to his.

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 09:34:09 PM »
Edge fan since - 2009
Favourite Edge eras (in order) - AB, JT, now
Favourite Edge look - the outfit he wears in Red Rocks
The Edge is old enough to be my... (son/schoolmate/wise older brother/dad/granddad) - Dad
Best Edge riffs - New Year's Day, The Cry, Silver and Gold, Acrobat, Ultraviolet, DGPFYCC, Gone, Last Night On Earth
Best Edge solos - New Year's Day, Twilight, Fire, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, Bullet, In God's Country, All I Want Is You, The Fly, Acrobat, Electrical Storm, Miracle Drug, Magnificent, Unknown Caller, BREATHE!!!!!
Best Edge facial hair - the facial hair of AB/Zooropa era... NOT the PopStache. (Sorry EF! :D)
Best Edge hat - none, or the beanie of AB/Zooropa
Best Edge performance in a U2 Concert video - RED ROCKS!!!!!! Although he does seem to be a little angry for some reason...
One word to describe The Edge - Talented
Two words to describe The Edge - Exceptional guitarist
What do you think he'll be doing post-U2? - EF! How dare you even think in terms of no U2! :D
Favourite Edge guitar - The black and white one - I don't know the name, though.
What's the closest you've ever been to greatness? - U2 concert, but very far from the stage.

Look at how intensely he is strumming! :o
Why The Edge? -  He's eloquent, smart, kind, and an AMAZING guitar player
Favourite Edge photos

EF, if you don't mind, I'm adding a new question:

Favorite Edge piano sequences/solos: New Year's Day, Yoshino Blossom, solo at the end of Disappearing Act, October, Lemon, The First Time, the beginning of Angels Too Tied To the Ground
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:42:29 AM by U2_fan8 [LEdge = Epicness] »

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 08:08:36 AM »
Edge fan since; 2007
Favorite Edge era (in order): JT, AB, 360
Favorite Edge look: Anytime he's wearing the JTEH is a good time
The Edge is old enough to be my: Dad (my mom is two months older than him)
Best Edge riffs: Ultraviolet, Streets, Until the End of the World, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, Pride
Best Edge solos: Sunday Bloody Sunday, Street Mission, Miracle Drug, Breathe, With or Without You (one of the live versions), Elevation, Vertigo, In God's Country, Unknown Caller, City of Blinding Lights
Best Edge facial hair: I love baby Edge, so I'd say anywhere between Boy and JT Era, with now as a runner up
Best Edge hat: The JTEH
Best Edge performance in a U2 concert video: He was a little mind blowing on PopMart
One word to describe Edge: Genius
Two words to describe Edge: Sonic architect
What do you think he'll be doing post-U2?  I don't think he'll stop writing music, probably working with up and coming bands and cultivating them
Favorite Edge guitar: The Gibson Explorer, the guitar the Edge was built upon
What's the closest you've been to the greatness?: He walked by me several times at my show in Charlottesville and we were on Edge's side of the outer ring
The one Edge-related video on YouTube you think everyone needs to see: Toss up between these two
Why the Edge? I was seduced by his guitar and then it snowballed from there
Favorite Edge piano solos: RTSS, hands down, followed far behind by Original of the Species
Favorite Edge photos: Can't post them all but .... thank you EF

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 09:35:23 AM »
Hmm... a suspiciousBonogirl eyes the proliferation of Edge threads.  And btw, EF, why can't I choose "The Edge is old enough to be my HUSBAND!?"

Bwaa haa!  I did actually think about that briefly, but since rock stars like to marry the young girls these days you never know....

Seriously though, the reason I didn't put that is to let the Edge-boys answer too :P

I'm with you Yooper.  It's getting a bit out of hand.  We may need to have a serious discussion with NS about all this...

:P :-*

NO.

;D