Poll

Are The Beatles Overated?

Yes (They Suck!)
6 (17.1%)
No (They Were Ahead Of Their Time)
29 (82.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: December 29, 2009, 12:05:18 PM

Author Topic: Are The Beatles Overated?  (Read 13854 times)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
Re: Are The Beatles Overated?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 07:20:35 AM »
Nope, 12 amazing albums in about 6 years speaks for itself, all of them different, all of them creative, all of them accessible. Great band, great personalities.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 07:41:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have just chipped in with my opinion on the Beatles appreciation thread  ;) (personally i just don't get it, i think they are the most overated band ever!) Come on, all they did was write nonsense lyrics off their heads and they get labelled "ahead of their time" and "geniuses"!

Be interesting to see the results if anyone agrees, as there seems to be a lot Beatles fans on here...

If there's a resounding No vote, i'll keep my opinions on the Beatles to myself in future. Lol!

I'm with you on this one, but I think we are in the minority. I think they were just average musicians but they did have a knack for writing a catchy pop song. I think there are many better bands, but the Beatles just happened to be the first and in the right place at the right time.

The Stones, the Kinks, the Who and Bowie all superior.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 07:52:19 AM »
Nope. They're under-rated.

They will always be the greatest band ever.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »
'' all they did was write nonsense lyrics off their heads'' = "all u2 songs sound the same'' = ''Dylan cant sing'' = ''its just noise'' its a cliche, its BS, its an easy remark for someone to make about something they don't understand - it doesnt make it bad, or wrong - its just not for you.
They've written some great great songs - its not an accident y'know. And I Am The Walrus was a dig at the British Government - LISTEN TO IT. If they weren't so revered you'd probably like them. Ignore everything else and just give the music a chance on its own merits, the songs weren't written with 50 years posterity in mind and neither should they be listened to that way.

If The Beatles first album had come out in 2004 they would be finished by now - keep that in mind.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 04:53:19 PM »
No. They are not over-rated.  They are, or were, a turning point in popular music.  There is Before the Beatles and After the Beatles.  I think they led the way for a whole renaissance of music at that time.  Music at that time was so rich and diverse and exciting, and they were at the forefront of that.  No Beatles, no U2.
well that isn't entirely correct it more like No Skip james and Blind billie johnson (and a whole lot of blues singers) No Little Richard, fats domino, Chuck berry No Johnny Cash No Elvis No Beatles No rolling stones, doors, Hendrix, the who, the velvet underground, led zeppelin etc

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again U2 are the band the Beatles could have been. ;D  The Beatles are a bit too poppy for my taste but having listened to most of their remasters this year I would say that their reputation is deserved.  They are pop and cultural icons and were at the forefront of cutting edge sounds in the 60's.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 05:41:17 PM »

[/quote]

I'm with you on this one, but I think we are in the minority. I think they were just average musicians but they did have a knack for writing a catchy pop song. I think there are many better bands, but the Beatles just happened to be the first and in the right place at the right time.

[/quote]

No way, look at how Sgt. Peppers changed the face of rock, how they were the first to come up with an album with a theme, a true LP as opposed to a collection of singles.

Also, what relevance has the Stones had since Exile on Main Street?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »

[/quote]

No way, look at how Sgt. Peppers changed the face of rock, how they were the first to come up with an album with a theme, a true LP as opposed to a collection of singles.

Also, what relevance has the Stones had since Exile on Main Street?
[/quote]

Musically, What relevance have the Beatles had since Abbey Road?  Of course in a broader sense the Beatles and the Stones continue to influence popular music today.

Revolver7

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 06:48:29 PM »

Musically, What relevance have the Beatles had since Abbey Road?  Of course in a broader sense the Beatles and the Stones continue to influence popular music today.

They've had an unmeasureable influence since Abbey Road. Even though The Beatles broke up in 1970 (not long after long after Abbey Road) they've continued to shape, effect, and influence countless rock bands of the past 30 years. I could give you a list if you wanted, but that would take so long. They've sold over a billion albums worldwide. Abbey Road has sold 4 million album copies since 1991 alone. I'm a teenager, and almost everyone I know who is my age likes The Beatles

Even if you don't like them, to see their influence, all you have to do is look around at the past 40 years of music

Revolver7

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 06:53:52 PM »
And for those who think The Beatles are just pop artists...
Check out these songs:

Revolution:

Helter Skelter:

Everybody's  Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey:

The End:

Dig A Pony:

I Got A Feeling:

And that's just a few

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 08:11:46 PM »
A tad overrated, they neither suck or are the greatest ever

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 08:49:16 PM »
The only reason people think the Beatles are too "pop" nowadays is because pop mainstream has fallen over itself trying to imitate what the Beatles did 40 years ago. When Helter Skelter was released it could hardly have been called mainstream, but that one song singlehandedly created hard rock and heavy metal and all subsequent heavier varieties. The Beatles revolutionised rock and roll. There's no other way around it.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 12:46:02 AM »
The only reason people think the Beatles are too "pop" nowadays is because pop mainstream has fallen over itself trying to imitate what the Beatles did 40 years ago. When Helter Skelter was released it could hardly have been called mainstream, but that one song singlehandedly created hard rock and heavy metal and all subsequent heavier varieties. The Beatles revolutionised rock and roll. There's no other way around it.

Beach Boys liked it:
 In April 1967, Wilson (who was suffering growing mental problems) was deeply affected by hearing a tape of the Pepper song "A Day in the Life", which McCartney played to him in Los Angeles. Soon after, Smile was abandoned, and Wilson would not return to complete it until 2003. Van Dyke Parks later said, "Brian had a nervous collapse. What broke his heart was Sgt. Pepper."

deco20

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 01:03:35 AM »
Just because they were there first in terms of a "modern rock band" doesnt mean they are the best. I can think of other bands who did reach there first and are better. (The Clash, Velvet Underground, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Television etc.)

BUT

I cannot deny their musical contributions. I mean, without Lennon and Co, there maybe no U2.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »
And for those who think The Beatles are just pop artists...
Check out these songs:

Revolution:

Helter Skelter:

Everybody's  Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey:

The End:

Dig A Pony:

I Got A Feeling:

And that's just a few

If Revolution, Helter Skelter, Me and My Monkey et al are your examples of The Beatles playing rock I'm not convinced they aren't just pop artists.