Poll

Are The Beatles Overated?

Yes (They Suck!)
6 (17.1%)
No (They Were Ahead Of Their Time)
29 (82.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: December 29, 2009, 12:05:18 PM

Author Topic: Are The Beatles Overated?  (Read 13962 times)

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Are The Beatles Overated?
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2009, 07:38:30 AM »
Are we on the same page on what's "pop"? How can you say A Day in the Life, Strawberry Fields, Eleanor Rigby are pop?

To me, it's putting most of their songs on the same page as Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, etc, which is extremely disrespectful and unbelievably ignorant. Sorry.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2009, 12:40:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are we on the same page on what's "pop"? How can you say A Day in the Life, Strawberry Fields, Eleanor Rigby are pop?

To me, it's putting most of their songs on the same page as Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, etc, which is extremely disrespectful and unbelievably ignorant. Sorry.

Why do you consider the label 'Pop' is inferior to 'Rock'?

I, for one, am on the same page as Shockdocta and think most Beatles songs sound popish.

shockdocta22

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »

I, for one, am on the same page as Shockdocta and think most Beatles songs sound popish.

i never said Pop is bad though, but songs of theirs do sound a little more Popish, compare Eleanor Rigby to rock songs at the time from say..the Rolling Stones

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »

i never said Pop is bad though, but songs of theirs do sound a little more Popish, compare Eleanor Rigby to rock songs at the time from say..the Rolling Stones

Exactly.  The most perfect pop song of all 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' is held in equal esteem by me as say 'You Really Got Me'.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »

Exactly.  The most perfect pop song of all 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' is held in equal esteem by me as say 'You Really Got Me'.

"Eleanor Rigby" isn't exactly a pop song...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2009, 01:20:19 PM »

"Eleanor Rigby" isn't exactly a pop song...

Pop + Chamber music. ;D

Boom Cha!

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »
I know some people that claim The Beatles as the greatest yet never listen to their music.  ???

I'd say they're overrated in the sense that they're just the "go-to" band when asked who the greatest band is.

I don't think they're the best, but I do realize what they've done for music in general.

shockdocta22

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »
I know some people that claim The Beatles as the greatest yet never listen to their music.  ???

I'd say they're overrated in the sense that they're just the "go-to" band when asked who the greatest band is.

I don't think they're the best, but I do realize what they've done for music in general.

x2

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2009, 06:53:39 PM »

X500.

shockdocta22

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »
So lets say a guy came up to me and played A Day in the Life, Help, I wanna hold your hand, Let it be, and all you need is love, id say thats pretty good, whos it by and they said it was by the Greatest band of all time, i wouldnt agree, so i dont think there the best, but top 25

Revolver7

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2009, 07:05:23 PM »

Eleanor Rigby
Something
Penny Lane
Let It Be
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
All You Need Is Love
Here Comes The Sun
Can't Buy Me Love
The Long And Winding Road
Nowhere Man
Yesterday
Here, There, Everywhere
Blackbird
She Loves You
Norwegian Wood
Hello, Goodbye
Hey Jude

I could go on.... all Pop songs.

Not so laughable.

If those are all Pop songs, then a lot of the Stones output would be considered Pop as well

She's Like A Rainbow- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ruby Tuesday- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Love In Vain- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mother's Little Helper- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wild Horses- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You Can't Always Can;t Always Get What You Want- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I Wanna Be Your Man- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let it Loose- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let's Spend the Night Together- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. All those songs are great songs, and I'm a big fan of the Rolling Stones, but I think it's bulls**t to say that "The Beatles were just pop, and the Stones were all rock", or "The Beatles weren't guitar driven, while the Stones were". These two bands weren't "just" anything; they delved into countless different sounds and genres, and both bands have songs that are more pop oriented, and songs that  really rock hard.

Revolver7

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »

Helter Skelter is just a forced attempt by Macca to write a rock tune, no doubt influenced by Led Zep.

No doubt; especially since the White Album recording sessions started almost a year before Led Zeppelin's debut came out

shockdocta22

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2009, 07:08:24 PM »

Helter Skelter is just a forced attempt by Macca to write a rock tune, no doubt influenced by Led Zep.

No doubt; especially since the White Album recording sessions started almost a year before Led Zeppelin's debut came out

lmao :D :D :D

Eleanor Rigby
Something
Penny Lane
Let It Be
A Day In The Life
All You Need Is Love
Here Comes The Sun
Can't Buy Me Love
Nowhere Man
Yesterday
Here, There, Everywhere
Blackbird
She Loves You
Norwegian Wood
Hello, Goodbye
Hey Jude

Not so laughable.

If those are all Pop songs, then a lot of the Stones output would be considered Pop as well

Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You Can't Always Can;t Always Get What You Want- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let's Spend the Night Together- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. All those songs are great songs, and I'm a big fan of the Rolling Stones, but I think it's bulls**t to say that "The Beatles were just pop, and the Stones were all rock", or "The Beatles weren't guitar driven, while the Stones were". These two bands weren't "just" anything; they delved into countless different sounds and genres, and both bands have songs that are more pop oriented, and songs that  really rock hard.

I agree RS has put out pop songs (Ruby Tuesday, Wild Horses, You cant always get..)  but there majority is rock

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »

Eleanor Rigby
Something
Penny Lane
Let It Be
A Day In The Life
All You Need Is Love
Here Comes The Sun
Can't Buy Me Love
Nowhere Man
Yesterday
Here, There, Everywhere
Blackbird
She Loves You
Norwegian Wood
Hello, Goodbye
Hey Jude

Not so laughable.

Do you have an inferiority complex with The Beatles or something.  Sure the Stones made some pop songs, rhythm & Blues, psychedelic songs, even raggae, disco and funk infused songs.  But generally speaking the Stones made better rock songs and the Beatles made better pop songs like the ones I listed above.  I've said it before and so I'll say it again I don't regard 'rock' as being superior to 'pop'.  If you wish to label the Beatles a rock band and their best songs rock songs then you can.  I consider most of what I believe to be the Beatles best songs as pop songs.  On the other hand I think of 'Jumpin' Jack Flash', for example, as a rock song.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2009, 07:32:03 PM »

I rather think that Paul McCartney was aware of the changing musical trends going on around him and the heavier rock sounds of the newly formed Led Zeppelin and others and attempted to incorporate that into the Beatles sound when they composed The Beatles album.