Author Topic: I love that Adam Clayton was a closet hardcore drug user in the early 90's  (Read 34702 times)

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
Mind altering substances and art go hand and hand whether you like it or not.  Most of the great writers of the 20th century were doing something.  You don't necessarily have to like it, but to separate the two you'd have to ignore a lot of great art that came as a result.  Many artists don't function well outside of their realm and in normal society, so they reach for something that they cling on to. 
Most of my favorite writers or artists were probably awful people in person, and I'm not sure if I would like to meet them.  But I still like them because they made great art. 

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just for the sake of "accuracy", I'd like to point out that
there are mormons who would have asked to share your drink,
or even light a joint and invite you. Those would be the fake mormons...
so to speak. I happen to be one of them.
But shhhh... don't tell, please. ;)

LOL! I know quite a few fake mormons - funny how they all left Utah and were "corrupted" (as their parents tell them) by their new friends!

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.

LOL! I know quite a few fake mormons - funny how they all left Utah and were "corrupted" (as their parents tell them) by their new friends!

Is it just a coincidence that your profile location is "The Dark Side"?  ;)
I became a mormon at 31, and later became corrupted by my "old friends", hahaha
I do believe alcohol, cigarrettes and drugs are bad for health. I just can't live up to that...

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun

I believe there could be multiple meanings to the expression "the dark side"...  ::) ::) ;)

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)

I became a mormon at 31, and later became corrupted by my "old friends", hahaha
I do believe alcohol, cigarrettes and drugs are bad for health. I just can't live up to that...

I'm a recovering Catholic!

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Interesting thread indeed...

First, I'd like to state that it's always frustrating for me when certain people suggest that "drug animals" (or whatever you want to call them) are rock n roll heroes and praise people who quit taking drugs altogether at one point or another as heroic behaviour. To me, the true heroes are the ones who, in any given situation, don't do as everyone else is doing, just to fit in or because they're afraid of appearing too stupid. Those heroes are able to make their own mine and stand up for their beliefs. All of this is difficult, especially when you're a teenager.

Second of all, I'm also a cycling fan, namely a Greg LeMond fan and there are a lot of similarities in drug use in art or in sports. The same question of the courage to say "no" at a very early age. I am voluntarily referring to drug, or dope use as a culture in both sectors as I believe they are well spread, for many reasons.

Now... I reckon there are different types of drugs, legal or not, as there are also addictive behaviours such as violence or vidéo games. Human beings also show a wide range of different responses to addictive stimuli. Personnally, I don't do drugs and I tend to stay away from addictions in general because I like to believe I'm responsible for what happens in my life, good or bad.

For example, the only drug I tried is weed. With that product I've experienced next to nothing-consequences as well as dramatic consequences. It depends on the people, it depends on the people but even that drug, which is considered "harmless" by most people, I believe, CAN be dangerous.

As for music, unlike many people I believe drug use has made a lot of damage, including creative damage. A lot of music from the 70's especially, is not as much the result of people playing music as it is the result of chemicals interacting with each other... Personally, I'm having a hard time relating to that. And don't get me started on artists that were literallyconsumed by the drugs and died prematurily.

U2 are in their 50's, a period in life when you reach for balance. I think that if I was to discover U2 as The teenager I was in the mid 80's, I would not become a fan. What attracted me then is contrast. A band capable of jumping from the rooftops of "Pride" all the way down to the deep nightmares of "Exit"... Fascinating. It's not the case anymore. Especially for the so-called " dark side" of U2. It's not the same band. Don't get me wrong, I still love them. Because I've evolved too, I guess. I stll relate to what they're doing. I dig NLOTH a lot, actually. But you know, I was among the people who thought the band should not have given up on "Bullet the blue sky" in the live set. Because of contrast. Although sometimes "Crazy" sometimes, 360 plays it safe, mostly. Even "Sunday bloody sunday" doesn't make much sensé in the set. Especially when you're in France talking about human rights being violated in... Burma, when France is experiencing its most human rights alert since the nazis left the country...

One example comes to mind : in France, we have a band called "Noir Désir". The band appeared in the late 80's and when it reached the early 00's, it was seen as the only french rock band with credibility. It set an example of committment (a strong political content), uncompromising (never been endorsed by a sponsor or softened by record companies, managers or poducers), live machine (its lead singer and frontman always on the verge of going into a trance). And its last 2 albums peaked at 2 million copies in France only. A big deal. Well, it ended up as the singer, Bertrand Cantat, beat his girlfriend to death with his bare hands and put her to bed in a coma she'd never get out of.

What I mean with this example is that, in order to keep the "dark side" going, you have to fuel all the dangerous parts of your pesonality on a daily basis. It's not safe. It's insane. Taking drugs is a part of that process. It's what rock n roll is about. But to be able to do that all your Life is a sacrifice of what most of us are looking for : balance.

So, do I regret U2 are not more rock n roll lately ? Personally and selfishly yes. But I think it makes them better people, actually.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:49:32 AM by Joe90usa »

The Promenade

Interesting thread indeed...

First, I'd like to state that it's always frustrating for me when certain people suggest that "drug animals" (or whatever you want to call them) are rock n roll heroes and praise people who quit taking drugs altogether at one point or another as heroic behaviour. To me, the true heroes are the ones who, in any given situation, don't do as everyone else is doing, just to fit in or because they're afraid of appearing too stupid. Those heroes are able to make their own mine and stand up for their beliefs. All of this is difficult, especially when you're a teenager.

Second of all, I'm also a cycling fan, namely a Greg LeMond fan and there are a lot of similarities in drug use in art or in sports. The same question of the courage to say "no" at a very early age. I am voluntarily referring to drug, or dope use as a culture in both sectors as I believe they are well spread, for many reasons.

Now... I reckon there are different types of drugs, legal or not, as there are also addictive behaviours such as violence or vidéo games. Human beings also show a wide range of different responses to addictive stimuli. Personnally, I don't do drugs and I tend to stay away from addictions in general because I like to believe I'm responsible for what happens in my life, good or bad.

For example, the only drug I tried is weed. With that product I've experienced next to nothing-consequences as well as dramatic consequences. It depends on the people, it depends on the people but even that drug, which is considered "harmless" by most people, I believe, CAN be dangerous.

As for music, unlike many people I believe drug use has made a lot of damage, including creative damage. A lot of music from the 70's especially, is not as much the result of people playing music as it is the result of chemicals interacting with each other... Personally, I'm having a hard time relating to that. And don't get me started on artists that were literallyconsumed by the drugs and died prematurily.

U2 are in their 50's, a period in life when you reach for balance. I think that if I was to discover U2 as The teenager I was in the mid 80's, I would not become a fan. What attracted me then is contrast. A band capable of jumping from the rooftops of "Pride" all the way down to the deep nightmares of "Exit"... Fascinating. It's not the case anymore. Especially for the so-called " dark side" of U2. It's not the same band. Don't get me wrong, I still love them. Because I've evolved too, I guess. I stll relate to what they're doing. I dig NLOTH a lot, actually. But you know, I was among the people who thought the band should not have given up on "Bullet the blue sky" in the live set. Because of contrast. Although sometimes "Crazy" sometimes, 360 plays it safe, mostly. Even "Sunday bloody sunday" doesn't make much sensé in the set. Especially when you're in France talking about human rights being violated in... Burma, when France is experiencing its most human rights alert since the nazis left the country...

One example comes to mind : in France, we have a band called "Noir Désir". The band appeared in the late 80's and when it reached the early 00's, it was seen as the only french rock band with credibility. It set an example of committment (a strong political content), uncompromising (never been endorsed by a sponsor or softened by record companies, managers or poducers), live machine (its lead singer and frontman always on the verge of going into a trance). And its last 2 albums peaked at 2 million copies in France only. A big deal. Well, it ended up as the singer, Bertrand Cantat, beat his girlfriend to death with his bare hands and put her to bed in a coma she'd never get out of.

What I mean with this example is that, in order to keep the "dark side" going, you have to fuel all the dangerous parts of your pesonality on a daily basis. It's not safe. It's insane. Taking drugs is a part of that process. It's what rock n roll is about. But to be able to do that all your Life is a sacrifice of what most of us are looking for : balance.

So, do I regret U2 are not more rock n roll lately ? Personally and selfishly yes. But I think it makes them better people, actually.

People take drugs - you might not like them - they might be destructive when some people take them. But not all.

However, they have been used for hundreds if not thousands of years to enhance creativity and as a way to achieve altered states of consciousness. Without drugs some of the greatest music would never have been made.

And seeing as you love U2 so much... songs like Bad and Exit or Running to Stand Still simply wouldn't exist without drugs. Drugs are just another side of being human - and an important one.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:50:24 AM by Joe90usa »

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Agreed.

rock n roll can get in the way of actually living a good life, whatever that means... I'd say the same about religion or work, for that matter. But it's just me.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:51:22 AM by Joe90usa »

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...

Wise words, indeed. I totally agree.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
I modified a few posts to comply with language standards. Thanks.

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down

Wise words, indeed. I totally agree.

Me too. I agree

Offline MistyLeigh32

• Child of Grace
  • RAN the Marine Corps Marathon 10/30/2011
I'm surprised that the more sensitive type haven't come to Adam's defense yet.
*sets up a chair and watches the thread*

Zooey ... you trip me out..

*pulls up a chair next to Zooey...