Author Topic: would getting rid of live loops improve the experience  (Read 2420 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
would getting rid of live loops improve the experience
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:04:11 PM »
would anyone prefer if they got rid of the hard disks and just took it organic. theres something to be said for totally live music without backing tracks and it might force them to come up with interesting variations on songs to get them to work live.

i was just watching the band commentary on a queen dvd the other day and they were saying how much people rely on hdd's and what a shame it was. they didnt mention any names.

also is anyone interested in this guy whoplays the keyboards getting on stage. i guess i just like to see where all the sounds are coming from so i know how much they're cheating by.

Offline markreed

• Numb
Re: would getting rid of live loops improve the experience
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:49:23 AM »
No.

I'm not a luddite.

If you want to keep it real, get them to hand back the effects pedals as well.

And the autocue.

Edge would be lost without his Big Muff EchoResonator 6000.

Bono would be singing about his Vietnam mother / sisters brother/ streets of broken dreams.

It'd be ACE.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:44:04 AM »
A more fully augmented live band could get away with it but U2 are only a 3 piece band and so if they got rid of the loops and other effects they would be left with a sparse live sound indeed.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:51:02 PM »
i wasnt meaning get rid of the effects on guitar vocal etc, i guess i see that as sound which is still created by the band even tho its modified by technology.

i meant these other parts which get played to "complement" what the band are doing. i woudnt mind a bit of an intro like in bad say but when its going throughout the whole song you're not really seeing a truly live show. i just dont want to get to the stage where we got bono lip synching or edge adding extra guitar from tape.

i dont think it would sound too sparse, i dont think they would have used hard disks in their early days (rattle and hum movie) plus other bands do it all the time. they might just need to think things through a bit more.

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »
no because they would not be able to play their later pieces. U2's music and their technology have evolved over the years, so it's part of the live experience. They are not in danger of being Milli Vanilli anytime soon

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:39:43 PM »
in the old days they used sequencers, now they used much the same, it's no different and I don't see why they should stop.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »
U2 was never really a purely 'live' band like many rock bands.  their sound just isn't like that.  edge's effects make his style, and make the music.  i could never imagine a song like Bad without that ethereal backing loop at the beginning!

Offline u2bono269

• Babyface
  • @atU2 Tours Staffer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:51:52 AM »
I remember reading that they took out a lot of backing tracks during the Vertigo tour.  For example, if you compare the album All Because of You to the live version, you'll hear that the live version is missing the backing guitar when The Edge solos.  I don't think that their use of backing tracks is as pervasive as everyone thinks...don't forget they've got Terry Lawless under the stage playing pianos and synths, so that's not a backing track either.

btw that's got to be the most thankless job ever.  "yeah I play with U2...under the stage." 

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »
At least he got an occasional shout-out to "Terry Lawless in the Underworld."  And we got to see his hands on the videoscreen.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
btw that's got to be the most thankless job ever.  "yeah I play with U2...under the stage." 

the most thankless job had to be the guy who played guitar for Korn from behind the amps on that first tour after Head left.

then again, that's the only way I'd do that gig.

#@!

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »

the most thankless job had to be the guy who played guitar for Korn from behind the amps on that first tour after Head left.

then again, that's the only way I'd do that gig.

#@!

Seriously? "Yeah, you get to play with us, but only if no one sees you." Wow.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
I remember reading that they took out a lot of backing tracks during the Vertigo tour.  For example, if you compare the album All Because of You to the live version, you'll hear that the live version is missing the backing guitar when The Edge solos.  I don't think that their use of backing tracks is as pervasive as everyone thinks...don't forget they've got Terry Lawless under the stage playing pianos and synths, so that's not a backing track either.

Well, he does get thanked in Unknown Caller basically every time, and now he appears on-screen as well!  :D

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 06:14:56 AM »
why don't they just let everyone else playing (backup guitarist, keyboardist, sound effect guy...french horn player!) up on stage with them. I don't think the audience would mind at all that U2 was playing with others. U2 would still play the lead for everything, and they could be up front still

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
why don't they just let everyone else playing (backup guitarist, keyboardist, sound effect guy...french horn player!) up on stage with them. I don't think the audience would mind at all that U2 was playing with others. U2 would still play the lead for everything, and they could be up front still

yeah i'd be up for that.  would add to the theatre. however i think alot of those parts arent played live even behind the scenes (french horn surely) it'd be a recording.

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 06:07:34 AM »
I know... when ever I am watching concert videos, and I see angel of Harlem or Sometimes you can't make it on your own, and the horn parts kick in, I just cringe because I know they are fake and most everyone in the crowd does to, which I think detracts from the concert. Just get rid of them!