Author Topic: would getting rid of live loops improve the experience  (Read 2432 times)

Offline markreed

• Numb
Re: would getting rid of live loops improve the experience
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
No. Let's not. It'll sound rubbish.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
why don't they just let everyone else playing (backup guitarist, keyboardist, sound effect guy...french horn player!) up on stage with them. I don't think the audience would mind at all that U2 was playing with others. U2 would still play the lead for everything, and they could be up front still

U2 made the decision to be a four piece act on stage a long time ago.  I don't think they should change now because they have such an established visual image on stage.  Of course this means they have to make compromises to how 'live' they can be.  A fully augmented band works well for many artists e.g REM, The Stones, Genesis and could work for U2 as well but I don't think they should share the stage with any other bodies.

Offline emoon1983

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »
Muse hired a keyboardist to manage the synths because they didn't want to use backing tracks anymore. Coldplay overuses the backing tracks to where it detracts from the show. U2 commits this sin almost to the extent of Coldplay but its acceptable.

No one is asking that the Edge hands over his effect units, but it would be nice to get a real keyboardist on stage and cut the backing tracks. People who complain about a sparse sounding set without the synth backing tracks probably have never played in a band. I have performed a few times and we sounded very full with one bass, one drummer, one guitarist with minimalist effects, and a modest PA system.

I mean, do we really need the backing tracks for Beautiful Day? No, its overkill.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 12:21:19 AM »
Honestly, i think Terry Lawless's synth sound can't match up to the Brian Eno-played ones. I prefer songs like One on earlier tours, when they played to a backing track. :/