Author Topic: GET ON YOUR BOOTS!  (Read 8909 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: GET ON YOUR BOOTS!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
:o SG You're an Angel of Harlem!

Well done  ;D!

Thank you Nielsen! Always nice to see you here! SG

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »
Had to be here  ;)
Couldn't be bothered to stay in College so I ran home to at around 12 and just blasted this song in a loop ;D

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 11:26:02 AM »
I'm listening to this all day at work yay me!!!!  Its like punk rock on venus. 

Offline robert

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
lovin it
get on your boots
bossy boots

got this just swagger to it, lovin it

step aside everyone else and they dont like it either muha

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:12:15 PM »
Not quite feeling it.  The verses resemble Vertigo's too much and it just feels like the third part of the Elevation/Vertigo/now Boots series where U2 have to have a loud, fast, relatively-simplistic song at the front of their album push to remind folks that they're still totally a rock band.  Totally.  I dunno, it just feels a bit more contrived than I'd like and isn't fascinating me the way the lead singles off the previous 15 years' worth of albums have.  I know it'll grow on me and in a little while I'll be loving it but...I guess it just feels forced a bit.  What's most important is how it works in the context of the full album.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »
It's going in so many directions, it's really hard to take it all in just now. I'm not quite in sync with the song yet, but it's got so many layers to it I think it'll take a few more listens. But there are some awesome sounds in there.

Offline thefool

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
I'm kinda with Ian on this one - not really blown away. I mean, it's not a bad song, but it's just not grabbing my interest. I feel like I've heard it before, and the thing that pulls me into U2 songs is that they are often something I've never heard before. This one feels to me like a rehash of Fast Cars, and, as Ian points out, fits the Elevation and Vertigo formula. It is also the bazillionth song in rock music to borrow from Subterranean Homesick Blues (not that there is anything wrong with that - just that I was hoping for something I had never heard before). Anyway, don't let my opinion skew yours. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the album.

Offline achtung jeff

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 02:27:44 PM »
It's got a 60's go-go vibe, don't you think? I can almost see Bono doing a twist in some sort of high water dress pants, black socks, and a blazer.

I agree with the Dylan reference (however in my case I immediately thought of Wild-Wild-West by Escape Club). Edge's vocals in the chorus remind me of Alice in Chains (long, flat notes). Definitely a different mashup than what I've heard before so I'm eager to hear the rest of the album to see what else they've done.

Hmmm. I'm not blow away, but haven't turned my nose up either. I've only listened to it 3 or 4 times. I need a little time to digest it.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 02:28:15 PM »
I am dying to hear the song more.  I only listened to it once this morning and was unsure.  Didn't love it but didn't hate it.  Then I found the beat was in my head for awhile after so I guess that's a good sign. 

I'd be listening to it at work but none of our computers have speakers!!  >:(

Offline padrepio

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 02:46:51 PM »
Totally underwhelmed by that new single.Sounds like a HTDAAB reject. Sounds very similar to Vertigo which again I am not a big fan of. Trying to hard to force the music I think to try and appear hip and rocky. I am pretty confident that the album will be better than that single. I hope for their sake it is, as HTDAAB was average. The lads need a strong album but this single is a big disappointment to me, after waiting all this time. Sorry for going against the grain, been a fan since 84` with the release of The Unforgettable Fire, sadly "Boots" is forgettable.

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
Not quite feeling it.  The verses resemble Vertigo's too much and it just feels like the third part of the Elevation/Vertigo/now Boots series where U2 have to have a loud, fast, relatively-simplistic song at the front of their album push to remind folks that they're still totally a rock band.  Totally.  I dunno, it just feels a bit more contrived than I'd like and isn't fascinating me the way the lead singles off the previous 15 years' worth of albums have.  I know it'll grow on me and in a little while I'll be loving it but...I guess it just feels forced a bit.  What's most important is how it works in the context of the full album.

I felt that way about Vertigo. To me, Vertigo is the more contrived of the too. And Boots is just way more loose and FUN!! I haven't gotten tired of it after 50+ listens already. And i NEVER play songs on loop.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »
I felt that way about Vertigo. To me, Vertigo is the more contrived of the too. And Boots is just way more loose and FUN!! I haven't gotten tired of it after 50+ listens already. And i NEVER play songs on loop.

I agree that Vertigo is more contrived but it is also more catchy, in my opinion. 

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »

Well, to be fair, I listened to it on a non-stop loop over my whole lunch break, as well as at intermitent times during the work day and I'm still not tired of it...but I don't get tired of U2 songs as a general rule.  
With Vertigo, it definitely felt like it was spawned from Elevation in that it was a vague, emotional, one-word title, a high-energy rocker, and something that had lyrics that felt a bit down from Bono's standard.  With Vertigo, though it just had so much energy it took my breath away.  Rationally I knew it was U2 but it didn't really click with me that "this is U2 doing this song!" until I saw the HQ music video they did for it.  That's when it really sank in that the band which, on their previous album, did In A Little While and Wild Honey was doing this balls-to-the-wall rocker.  Yeah, it was gimmicky and planned, but it didn't feel forced.  It felt like a breath of fresh air and kick to the stomach and it was really invigorating.
Boots doesn't, at least at first blush.  I'm sure the more I listen to it, the more I digest it, I'll come to love it, but it's just not catching me right away like U2's first singles normally do.    

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 03:23:17 PM »
Totally underwhelmed by that new single.Sounds like a HTDAAB reject. Sounds very similar to Vertigo which again I am not a big fan of. Trying to hard to force the music I think to try and appear hip and rocky. I am pretty confident that the album will be better than that single. I hope for their sake it is, as HTDAAB was average. The lads need a strong album but this single is a big disappointment to me, after waiting all this time. Sorry for going against the grain, been a fan since 84` with the release of The Unforgettable Fire, sadly "Boots" is forgettable.

How many times have you listened to it?

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 03:26:42 PM »
Just came home from a night out and put this song straight on ...what a song... its got to be my 12th listen, its very addictive and I'm hearing something differant every time i play it,reminisant of achtung baby, hope the rest of the album lives up to this!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:28:26 PM by kale »