Author Topic: GET ON YOUR BOOTS!  (Read 8904 times)

Offline achtung jeff

• Wanderer
Re: GET ON YOUR BOOTS!
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2009, 07:28:50 PM »
I had the same thought as anthony but I didn't post it. I can distinctly remember waiting in line at midnight to buy AB and rushing to my friend's dorm room to listen. It was so foreign. I didn't get any of it - the Fly, the glasses, the groove. Now though AB is my hands-down, never-get-tired-of-it fave.

Now that I'm home and can listen to it on a waaaay better stereo, I can hear the whole thing and not just the high end. The bass line really adds a lot. I'm still trying to get into the boys' head to understand it better.

Where are they taking us this time? I really want to find out now.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Glad to be a U2 FAN!
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 07:47:20 PM »
Nice post jeff. I remember  seeing The Fly video and thinking my head was going to explode. Bono's fly shades, the heart pounding sound of Larry, and the Edge just jammin out like never before. Lets hope this album goes where AB went.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 08:09:16 PM »
This song is going to ROCK live!!!!!!  Bring it on!

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 08:29:41 PM »
Well, I figured out why I wasn't so into Boots.  I was listening to it too quietly.  I was listening to it in my earphones or at home or in my car with it at a moderate volume.  It doesn't quite make sense at that volume.  On my drive home from work, I cranked it up and it almost immediately clicked how sweet it is.  Wicked song, it just needs to be listened to loudly.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 06:29:57 AM »
Finally some interesting / fascinating instrumentation again from U2. The flurry of melodies can be a bit crazy for musically untrained ears, so I'm even more surprised that they picked it as first single, but I enjoy it. I think it suits them well that they are back to being unconventional. I've just listened to it once, so I haven't gotten round to understand yet what the lyrics are about.

Offline opreator

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »
Why are you all so excited by Get On Your Boots? It is incredibly forgettable. Having been a U2 fan for 20 years, I know that we are a one-eyed lot who melt at pretty much everything they do. This song suffers from the same over-involved, over-produced nonsense that led U2 to release technical-heavy duds like Discotheque & Vertigo. Listen to 'Pump It Up' by Elvis Costello; it sounds almost like a legal rip-off (Costello's version actually has rock'n'roll guts to it). The lyric style are a direct rip-off from Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues. Read reviews from non-partisan and partisan sites all over the web. People are incredibly under-awed and disappointed with the song. It will not catch on, it will not be popular, but Bono (who are obviously surrounded by 'yes-men'-a stance they used to rally against) will thrash it ilke he did Vertigo and bang on about it being the best thing they ever did - as he does with every long-awaited U2 single/album release

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »

For those asking if I was around when unforgettable fire was released - eh yeah (in fact as near as dam it the beginning) Dont mock or accuse - everyones ears and tastes vary - U2 are what ever that one person wants them to be - this forum is great coz we debate and discuss the merits of albums - but the U2 snobbery stuff does leave a bit of a shiver - lets get on and enjoy (in whatever degree)!!!

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2009, 02:18:41 PM »
Troll in the dungeon, folks... [opreator]

In any event, "Vertigo" had this kind of reaction (detractors getting all wound up about the "hola!" bits), and whilst I wasn't paying attention at the time, the "Discotheque" video almost certainly split opinion too. I never mind these things - it's always been a key part of Bono to be somewhat gauche and odd, and that's one of the reasons why Joshua Tree doesn't rank highly on my list - it's Bono (and indeed the band) very much curbing themselves, from my view.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[Why are you so excited by Get On Your Boots? It is incredibly forgettable. Having been a U2 fan for 20 years, I know that we are a one-eyed lot who melt at pretty much everything they do. This song suffers from the same over-involved, over-produced nonsense that led U2 to release technical-heavy duds like Discotheque & Vertigo. Listen to 'Pump It Up' by Elvis Costello; it sounds almost like a legal rip-off (Costello's version actually has rock'n'roll guts to it). The lyric style are a direct rip-off from Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues. Read reviews from non-partisan and partisan sites all over the web. People are incredibly under-awed and disappointed with the song. It will not catch on, it will not be popular, but Bono (who are obviously surrounded by 'yes-men'-a stance they used to rally against) will thrash it ilke he did Vertigo and bang on about it being the best thing they ever did - as he does with every long-awaited U2 single/album release

Three minute pop tunes do not get any better, they make it look easy, as Neil Young once said 'my music was steering a steady course down the middle of the road, so I headed for the ditch'. This is U2 showing an energy, spirit and lightness that defies their age. They sound like they're having a blast! Not everything has to be so serious y'know, they have more than enough 'deep and meaningfuls' and the album will no doubt add some more, but right now lets be thankful that after all this time we still have new records to argue about, all great music gets frowned upon and criticised at first - Elvis, Dylan goin electric etc - for a thirty year old band to diverse opinion and get me outta bed at 7 in the morning is testament to their courage as artists and love for what they do, may we all be arguing and swearing at each other for many years to come.

My God. What a diverse but intelligent range of opinions, long term U2 fans are so divided in ideas. People who have waited a long time for a special present. Opened it up and thought Good or Bad. The new single reminded me of this yesterday. I have 5-year old twin sons and it was their birthday yesterday. They both got a lot of presents at their party. A lot of the people bought the same or similar presents for both of them. They were both excited and opened the presents. One twin liked one present and the other twin didn't like it so much. Then they would go to other presnets and the exact opposite response would happen. The twin who liked the first present didn't like the second one so much and the twin who didn't like the first present, liked the second present a lot more.

So this first single from NLOH is an interesting representation of people's responses to the presents that they open. As i said to my sons once their party was over.

Offline Michael Samuelle

• Babyface
  • Michael & Nikita
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
As a long time U2 fan, I would have to say that I'm very dissapointed in this song. I waited three years for new material and this is what I get. It sounded like a garage band cutting it's first song, that's how bad this boots song is. I listen to it once and hopefully never again. I hope the other songs on the album are a lot better than this. They should have just released Mercy instead of boots. I'm really bumbed by this, I would like to know from each band member what makes boots good? ???

luieu2

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
As a long time U2 fan, I would have to say that I'm very dissapointed in this song. I waited three years for new material and this is what I get. It sounded like a garage band cutting it's first song, that's how bad this boots song is. I listen to it once and hopefully never again. I hope the other songs on the album are a lot better than this. They should have just released Mercy instead of boots. I'm really bumbed by this, I would like to know from each band member what makes boots good? ???
i love mercy but the first single is not allways the best song on the album wait till the album comes out ,im sure you wont be disapointed Michael

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2009, 07:09:22 PM »

Despite all of the hype, rockers fail to broaden horizons

Independent, January 20, 2009

A NEW lead single from U2, and the same old brouhaha.

The band have done much to talk up their forthcoming 12th studio album, 'No Line on the Horizon', and if you believe Bono and the Edge, they have rewritten the rulebook, torn up the template and turned the world on the axis.

The reality is a bit more mundane. The first taster from the album, 'Get on Your Boots', is unquestionably U2 -- but it's hardly the radically different U2 its members and associates have been promising us.

As usual, with a new U2 track, the first thing you notice is The Edge's guitar. It has always been the primary colour in the U2 spectrum, and that's certainly the case here.

It's meaty, aggressive and as heavy as any guitar part he has written.

It also boasts the sort of riffs to appeal to air-guitar aficionados everywhere.

The song benefits from a thunderous rhythm. It's quite conceivable that Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen swotted up on Led Zeppelin during the recording of the album.

Whatever their preparation, the pair are in fine form with Clayton's bass providing a strong undercurrent and Mullen's drumming giving the song a primal energy.

So far, so good. The lyrics don't stand up to the same sort of scrutiny, however.

In fact, Bono has rarely been on cheesier ground than the following verse which opens the song: "The future needs a big kiss/Winds blow with a twist/ Ever seen a moon like this/Can you see it too?"

Nonsensical

Other lines are similarly vague -- and nonsensical: "Night is falling everywhere/Rockets hit the fun fair/Satan loves the bomb scare/But he won't scare you." Quite what the refrain -- "Sexy boots -- get your boots on" -- has to do with images of rockets and the devil is anyone's guess.

Perhaps the band fused two songs together -- as has been their wont in the past. Or maybe, they used the cut-and-paste technique that their long-term producer Brian Eno devised -- with a little help from David Bowie -- in the 1970s.

Either way, lovers of the beautifully penned lyric will have to look elsewhere. Bono's debut column for the 'New York Times' displayed a much better facility with words. But then, the three-and-a-half minute song brings different demands.

This being Bono, he sings his words with conviction.

His urgent delivery suits the song's frantic tempo and in the final third he spits out his words in a staccato rap.

The final part of the song will remind many of their 'Achtung Baby/Zooropa' days -- and it works quite well.

Compared to strong opening tracks from previous albums, 'Get On Your Boots' falls some way short.

It isn't in the same league as previous lead singles such as 'Vertigo' from 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb', 'Discotheque' from 'Pop', or 'New Year's Day' from 'War'.

Still, if the euphoric online response to the song is anything to go by, the "four boys from the northside of Dublin", as Bono put it during Sunday's concert for Barack Obama, should have nothing to fear.

The single will be released as a digital download on February 15. The album is available in Ireland from Friday, February 27.

'No Line on the Horizon' is their first studio album since November 2004's 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb', and Universal Records' executives will be hoping it can match that album's nine million sales.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2009, 11:19:59 PM »
Why are you all so excited by Get On Your Boots? It is incredibly forgettable. Having been a U2 fan for 20 years, I know that we are a one-eyed lot who melt at pretty much everything they do. This song suffers from the same over-involved, over-produced nonsense that led U2 to release technical-heavy duds like Discotheque & Vertigo. Listen to 'Pump It Up' by Elvis Costello; it sounds almost like a legal rip-off (Costello's version actually has rock'n'roll guts to it). The lyric style are a direct rip-off from Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues. Read reviews from non-partisan and partisan sites all over the web. People are incredibly under-awed and disappointed with the song. It will not catch on, it will not be popular, but Bono (who are obviously surrounded by 'yes-men'-a stance they used to rally against) will thrash it ilke he did Vertigo and bang on about it being the best thing they ever did - as he does with every long-awaited U2 single/album release

I assume you joined just to post this?

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
  • see the future just hanging there...
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 02:13:51 AM »
No one would want to eat their desert first.  Who WOULD want the best song out first? Sheez! Who would want to know the songs are worse here on out?...I want  hors'doerves (ooh I spelled that wrong I think) at first and then the entree and then the desert....But I know others will say....no I want all the songs to be desert....me too I guess
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 02:45:59 AM by silverbad »

Offline AmericanAngel

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My nick-name is Wonder Woman.
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 06:18:48 AM »
OH MY GOD.

This is like nothing I ever expected. This is... oh my god. I love it. How can I describe this?

Larry Mullen Jr. is FABULOUS in this!  ;D

WOW!!!!!!!! Like, I had an out-of-body experience when I heard this song for the first time!!!!! I immagined me in my sexy boots on stage with Bono and we were like sharing a bowl of chocolate pudding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not an out-of-body experience!!!!!!!! ;D That's a fantasy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

:) :) ;) ;) ;)    :D :D :D    ;D ;D ;D