Author Topic: if 'get on your boots' wasnt U2  (Read 5740 times)

Offline jralex12

• Refugee
  • just because i rock doesnt mean im made of stone
if 'get on your boots' wasnt U2
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:25:55 AM »
say some no name band put this song out would you still like it???

i know im not going to get any unbiased answers so maybe im wasting my time but i think if this song was made by the killers for instance i'd be like 'eh its different, bet it will suck live' but because its U2 its like wow those are my boys

this song couldve been bono farting for 3 minutes and we wouldve eaten it all up and thats not an insult because i wouldve eaten it up too

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
Re: if 'get on your boots' wasnt U2
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:32:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
say some no name band put this song out would you still like it???

i know im not going to get any unbiased answers so maybe im wasting my time but i think if this song was made by the killers for instance i'd be like 'eh its different, bet it will suck live' but because its U2 its like wow those are my boys

this song couldve been bono farting for 3 minutes and we wouldve eaten it all up and thats not an insult because i wouldve eaten it up too

I agree with the second part, we'd go nuts for almost anything but this tune is brilliant. I liked it the first time. Liked it more the second time, by the 5th time I was blown away. There is so much going on. There are two or three parts that could be the chorus.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:33:53 AM »
Hey, great way to introduce yourself to the forum...not.  :P

daveyg

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:08:44 AM »

But he has a point!! And you've almost proved his point - getting half insulted that someone dare not be jumping through the air beacuse of U2's new song..

Offline Kenitai

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 03:20:55 AM »
I'd still very much like the song, even if it wasn't U2.

But that's because I love other rock/punk bands with fast type of music.

I think it's a question more for those loving U2 fans and not be familiar with other today's (some minor) punk/rock bands.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:35:55 AM »

But he has a point!! And you've almost proved his point - getting half insulted that someone dare not be jumping through the air beacuse of U2's new song..

Of course he has a point but :

"this song couldve been bono farting for 3 minutes and we wouldve eaten it all up" is not a clever way to introduce yourself to U2 fans, even if you state "thats not an insult because i wouldve eaten it up too".

Stating it's not an insult or insulting yourself doesn't make it less of an insult.

but he definitely has a point. It was an advice on my behalf. We have a new U2 coming up, lots of new members just pop in I'm trying to help...

Back on topic, it's sure my view of this song would be different if it wasn't U2 but I stopped asking myself this very question since Achtung Baby.

And I don't like everything U2 does.

daveyg

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:04:23 AM »

"this song couldve been bono farting for 3 minutes and we wouldve eaten it all up" is not a clever way to introduce yourself to U2 fans, even if you state "thats not an insult because i wouldve eaten it up too".

Stating it's not an insult or insulting yourself doesn't make it less of an insult.

but he definitely has a point. It was an advice on my behalf. We have a new U2 coming up, lots of new members just pop in I'm trying to help...

Back on topic, it's sure my view of this song would be different if it wasn't U2 but I stopped asking myself this very question since Achtung Baby.

Guess he could have phraseed it better I guess!

But to adress the point I think he was trying to make - us U2 annoracks will love anything U2 produce, whether it was good bad or indifferent. You'll get long threads on various sites saying how brilliant a new song is, even if they released a 30 second version of Baa Baa Black Sheep.

I need to give the song a few more listens - Ive only heard it the once in the car - were it anyone else, or if I werent a U2 fan, Im not sure it'd be an "Oh that's cool" reaction, rushing out to buy the single.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:51:17 AM »
Yeah, I think that the fact that it is a U2 song implies 3 things (or more) for fans :

1/You're more tolerant in the sense that if you don't like it instantly, you'll give it a few listens to let it enter your musical world and give it more chance. Most of the time, if you hear something that doesn't speak to you, you forget about it.

2/Expectations. They give another perspective to the song. Wether it's a good song or not is irrelevant for that matter, the question is : is it a good song for U2 now ?

3/(pun intended) is it a good song for you too now ?

And I think that the answer to both questions is yes : it leads U2 back to their most intriguing and vital works (experiment in sounds/format). And us too.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »
Good point.

This song is pretty lame for a band that gave us Pride, I will Follow, Streets, etc. It isn't even as exciting as the lead singles from the last two albums - and those albums were pretty weak.

I have been a fan since 1983, it makes me sad to hear such weak music.

I know the shows will be better, but I do wonder about all the fans, maybe some of you are newer, who think that everything they do is great.

Offline the Edge Gotto

• Elevated
  • U2, Peter Gabriel, and Genesis shall dominate
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »

Guess he could have phraseed it better I guess!

But to adress the point I think he was trying to make - us U2 annoracks will love anything U2 produce, whether it was good bad or indifferent. You'll get long threads on various sites saying how brilliant a new song is, even if they released a 30 second version of Baa Baa Black Sheep.

I need to give the song a few more listens - Ive only heard it the once in the car - were it anyone else, or if I werent a U2 fan, Im not sure it'd be an "Oh that's cool" reaction, rushing out to buy the single.

I want to hear U2 do a 30 second version of Baa Baa Black Sheep. I think that would be quite funny actually.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »
If this song was by anyone else, I'd probably like it better.  However, I put U2 on a pedestal and expected a little more from them.  I don't hate GOYB but I don't love it either.  Hoping it will grow on me over time.  I can see how it would be good live, though. 

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »
Sure I would approach the song a lot differently if it was by another artist. The difference is that U2 have proven themselves capable of so much over the years that this song has an added kick to it because it signifies a whole new area of musical direction. It sounds different from anything they have done over the past 30 years.
If another band put this out, my thought would be: "Cool song....but what else can you do?"

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
If this song was by anyone else, I'd probably like it better.  However, I put U2 on a pedestal and expected a little more from them.  I don't hate GOYB but I don't love it either.  Hoping it will grow on me over time.  I can see how it would be good live, though. 

I think I'm in this boat as well. I think the rhythm section does a great job in this song, but I keep waiting for Edge to jump in and top it off with a killer solo. Then I remember that U2 really does not want to be a rock band, they want to be a pop band and dominate the charts. My hope is that when they play this song life, Edge gets to add that killer solo that I want and this song really takes off.

I'll add the caveat that this is how I feel about the song after hearing it a few times. That could change as time goes by.

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »
I was thinking about starting a thread like this earlier...

I try to not really think of something as "oh, it's U2, then it must be great" frame of mind.  I'm sure we all do it subliminally though.  I personally, if I heard this on the radio, I'd like a few parts of the song but would detest a lot of it.  That's kind of what I'm thinking now, only, yes, it is growing on me so that I can handle the 'singing' (is that what he called it?)  Really though, it's just my personal opinion.  Anyone else hear that guitar in the background of the second verse of 'let me in the sound'?

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »
I sure as heck wouldn't have listened to it 10+ times today!!