Author Topic: if 'get on your boots' wasnt U2  (Read 5741 times)

Offline domino

• Refugee
Re: if 'get on your boots' wasnt U2
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 08:37:26 PM »
i genuinely think i'd love it. kind of like i fell in love with glasvegas' sound instantly after one song a few months ago (and they're not even that good of a band).

I was thinking this would be a cool Arctic Monkeys song...

I too have uber high expectations for U2, but what more do you want/can you want right? They must kind of detest us for being so critical and having such high hopes. And i wonder who has higher expectations....the band or the fans?

So many elements make a 'good' song. I love Pride, Streets, I will follow...just as much as anyone on here. But I've never listened to Pride on loop with a ridiculous grin on my face and bopped to the beat of i will follow countless times. Maybe it's novely, maybe it's not.

I also wonder if theirs a bit of an age/generational divide on this one.....too hard to tell from my vantage point...

That said...I think the band deserves credit. They have reinvented themselves, if only for 3+ minutes. Pretty remarkable for a 30+ year career...i'd probably get to writing 15 songs before they all started to sound the same. I mean Bruce Springsteen is a rock god, I love him dearly and am a huge fan, but i'd also be the first to admit his last few albums all kinda sound the same...sonically, lyrically etc. And 'Working on a dream' looks to be no different...and for some reason, critics in the popular media always give him high praise, and his albums meet great acclaim but with U2, these same critics are so much harsher...and contradict even their own criteria. i never quite get that. oh well.

streetmission

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 08:56:35 PM »
I think I'd really like the song, because I love the riff and the rhythm section.  I wouldn't have analyzed it as much if it wasn't U2.  I spent some time today analyzing the lyrics for a deeper meaning, and I definitely found one.  There are several intriguing lines in the song, and it definitely has a political undertone.  I think I still would have listened to it a lot, because I fell in love with the song.  Whenever I fall in love with a movie, show, or song I go head over heels and listen to/watch it over and over.  That's just the way I am. :)

As for whom U2 has to please, they really just have to please themselves.  And I honestly think, despite how critical we are as fans, the band is more critical of themselves.  Listening to and reading some interviews about those who have worked with the band in the studio all I can say is wow!  There were a lot of intense moments, especially with the recording of this album (similar to the recording of Achtung Baby).  I remember reading somewhere that there were instances when people working with the band thought the four of them might start throwing a few punches!  Four guys pulling in four different directions can be intense.  I think at this stage the band hopes their music will be popular, but what more do they have to prove?  As long as they feel they've done their best that's all that really matters to them, I think.

Do I think Get On Your Boots will be popular?  Yes!  Will the album?  Yes!  Some have said Get On Your Boots is a pop song.  This isn't Jason Mraz, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay, or the Jonas Brothers.  No way!  This is an all out rocker of a rock song, through and through.  This is Rock 'n' Roll 2009, baby! 8)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:21:02 PM by streetmission »

luieu2

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 09:11:17 PM »
hes not farting is he get over it  , i dont think you are a U2 fan >:(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:14:06 PM by luieu2 »

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
Streetmission, I agree with you 100%!

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
I love U2, they are by far my favorite band.  But uh, Viva la Vida is a better song than Get On Your Boots.

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »
U2 made this song perfectly. i don't know if i'd still love it if it wasn't by U2. this song talks about sexiness but there's no malice about it. it's just really soooooooooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!  :-*

luieu2

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 09:35:45 PM »
to me there is U2 music then theres the rest till the day i die .get your boots is awsome cant wait for the rest of the album . i dont think he can sing cold play lead singer .

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 09:42:39 PM »
i think Chris Martin peed his pants the first time he heard Get On Your Boots.....no contest.

luieu2

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 09:45:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i think Chris Martin peed his pants the first time he heard Get On Your Boots.....no contest.
didnt they rip off satriani with viva la vida mmmmm ;)

Offline u2boy11

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Miss Holiday Golightly, Traveling.
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 09:51:41 PM »
If this song wasn't U2, I would still love it. But I don't think another band could record something like this.

Sure...you say this song isn't Streets...or any U2 song like that...
No -- it's not what you were expecting (isn't that a good thing?).

I think what you believe the song is missing is majesty -- the traditional guitar-scape and "rhythm groove" of U2.

This song takes U2 on to another direction. I think it's pretty much amazing. The album is going to complete the Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby/No Line On The Horizion trio. It's the fastest song they've ever recorded...that's awesome for a band in their mid/late 40s.

Coldplay's Viva La Vida (and I love that song and album very very much)could never touch the hems of this song. This is irony. It's sex. It's greed. It's politics. It's joy. It's culture. It's hope. It's love. It's hate. All in one great package. Viva La Vida...while very good...can't touch it.

luieu2

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 09:55:40 PM »
cold play u2 wanna bees lets see in ten years where cold play is .bargain bin maybe

Offline jralex12

• Refugee
  • just because i rock doesnt mean im made of stone
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 11:06:44 PM »
Hey, great way to introduce yourself to the forum...not.  :P

i dont need an introduction i bet ive been a member of this website longer than you. i just had to change my user name after they switched forums

Offline jralex12

• Refugee
  • just because i rock doesnt mean im made of stone
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 11:20:08 PM »
hes not farting is he get over it  , i dont think you are a U2 fan >:(

yeah im not a U2 fan...i just sign up on various band forums and start trouble...i'll tell you who the fake fans are...they are the people that wanted to petition U2 last year right before their opening of the vertigo tour in san diego...i tore them apart on the U2.com forum and on this forum. i have spent too much money on this band to have my fandom put into question. ive been lucky enough to meet bono and shake his hand and yes im a U2 fan because i was nervous as sh** when i did it...i dont need to be recognized as a true U2 fan and i dont even care to be accepted by the @U2.com forum community! as far as im concerned you all could be a bunch of trashy people that just happen to have good taste in music. and no i did not call you trashy people but seriously comments like this are unnecessary and yes i like the new song
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:02:10 PM by Joe90usa »

Offline the Edge Gotto

• Elevated
  • U2, Peter Gabriel, and Genesis shall dominate
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 11:31:54 PM »
People, this is a U2 fan site. I'm sure someone who doesn't like U2 wouldn't be on here. Let's all respect one another. I'm sure the band wouldn't want their fans arguing over who is a true fan and not a true fan. It's okay to have different opinions but be nice two one another. In the name of love...

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 04:25:29 AM »
I love U2, they are by far my favorite band.  But uh, Viva la Vida is a better song than Get On Your Boots.

It makes think...if "Viva la Vida" was not a Coldplay album, I'd never have listened to it in its entirety.

Not saying it's bad. Just that it doesn't speak to me the way their other albums did.

Anyway, the U2 Vs Coldplay thread is now open :

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:39:28 AM by soloyan »