Author Topic: Will Haiti Become U2360's Katrina?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Will Haiti Become U2360's Katrina?
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:40:58 AM »
Seeing the devastation and loss of life in the wake of the earthquake in Haiti brings back memories of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Many U2 tours become deeply associated with wider global tragedies i.e Zooropa with Sarajevo, Elevation with 9/11, Vertigo with Katrina and the One campaign.
U2 put their considerable weight behind raising public awareness to the crises and foster a sense of unity at their shows.  U2 also help raise substantial funds through benefit auctions, charity singles and their concerts.

Do you think the 360 tour will now become associated in the same way with the Haitian disaster?

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
Re: Will Haiti Become U2360's Katrina?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:24:53 PM »
Hope so.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »
It would be nice, especially if they could help raise a lot of money to help out!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »
If it had happened in the US, definitely.

Offline Sparroww

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »
Part of me says yes, I hope so, and part of me thinks not.  Events that became "part of the tour" in the past, like 9/11, Sarajevo, and the Iranian protests of last summer were actually taking place while the band was on the road.  People came to the shows with these images fresh on their minds (or, in the case of Bosnia, not on their minds at all, and U2 could show them live satellite linkups).  By the time the band is back on tour, several months will have passed since the catastrophe.  There will still be a need for aid and attention directed to Haiti, but it won't be the fresh, hot cause of the day.  Most people not directly affected will have forgotten -to be honest, I probably won't be thinking about it by then, either.   So... unless one of the band members gets really involved with relief efforts and makes it a personal cause (like aid to Africa, Music Rising, or Aung San Suu Kyi), I don't think the heartbreak of Haiti will have staying power enough to show up on tour next summer.  

shockdocta22

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:43:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Seeing the devastation and loss of life in the wake of the earthquake in Haiti brings back memories of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Many U2 tours become deeply associated with wider global tragedies i.e Zooropa with Sarajevo, Elevation with 9/11, Vertigo with Katrina and the One campaign.
U2 put their considerable weight behind raising public awareness to the crises and foster a sense of unity at their shows.  U2 also help raise substantial funds through benefit auctions, charity singles and their concerts.

Do you think the 360 tour will now become associated in the same way with the Haitian disaster?

Do you mean Pomart ???

That would be amazing if it was!  usually there is a song from the album that hits it big time, what will it be?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 03:53:05 PM »

Do you mean Pomart ???

That would be amazing if it was!  usually there is a song from the album that hits it big time, what will it be?

The civil war in Bosnia was raging during the Zooropa European tour of '93 and U2 had satellite link ups with Sarajevo during the shows in London and they went down like a lead balloon. 

shockdocta22

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
Oh... Thats pretty cool of them

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »
Maybe snippets of Wyclef Jean songs and a mention of the earthquake during Bono's campaigning before Moment of Surrender, but thats about it im thinking.  It would have been 6 months since the quake when U2 starts touring again

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 04:24:19 AM »
And think if they DIDN"T mention it, I mean, that would be weird, considering Bono's humanitarian stuff. I'm sure they will. I sure hope they will, at least.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »
The awful consequences of this disaster will last a lot longer than the 360 tour. 

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 05:33:04 PM »
The awful consequences of this disaster will last a lot longer than the 360 tour. 

Very true, but people's attention won't.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »
I am sure they will do what they need to do.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »

Maybe Bono and the boys will focus people's attention on Haiti for the remainder of their tour.

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »

Maybe Bono and the boys will focus people's attention on Haiti for the remainder of their tour.

That would be nice. Of course then One and Red would have to stop ignoring the Red Cross.