Author Topic: Will Haiti Become U2360's Katrina?  (Read 2307 times)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
Re: Will Haiti Become U2360's Katrina?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Seeing the devastation and loss of life in the wake of the earthquake in Haiti brings back memories of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Many U2 tours become deeply associated with wider global tragedies i.e Zooropa with Sarajevo, Elevation with 9/11, Vertigo with Katrina and the One campaign.
U2 put their considerable weight behind raising public awareness to the crises and foster a sense of unity at their shows.  U2 also help raise substantial funds through benefit auctions, charity singles and their concerts.

Do you think the 360 tour will now become associated in the same way with the Haitian disaster?

why do we need u2 to raise public awareness about an international disaster? do you not watch the news or go online? why do you think we need someone like bono to tell the rest of us what's happening in the world. i think it's a lazy approach if you are relying on a rock star to tell you how to react or how to help these people in haiti. i would rather bono and co left it to the rest of us to send our help without having to rely on their bandwagon jumping excuse for self publicity. apologies, but i really hope bono doesn't start jumping on his high horse again, whilst living it up in the south of france.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 11:06:24 AM »
Seeing the devastation and loss of life in the wake of the earthquake in Haiti brings back memories of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Many U2 tours become deeply associated with wider global tragedies i.e Zooropa with Sarajevo, Elevation with 9/11, Vertigo with Katrina and the One campaign.
U2 put their considerable weight behind raising public awareness to the crises and foster a sense of unity at their shows.  U2 also help raise substantial funds through benefit auctions, charity singles and their concerts.

Do you think the 360 tour will now become associated in the same way with the Haitian disaster?

why do we need u2 to raise public awareness about an international disaster? do you not watch the news or go online? why do you think we need someone like bono to tell the rest of us what's happening in the world. i think it's a lazy approach if you are relying on a rock star to tell you how to react or how to help these people in haiti. i would rather bono and co left it to the rest of us to send our help without having to rely on their bandwagon jumping excuse for self publicity. apologies, but i really hope bono doesn't start jumping on his high horse again, whilst living it up in the south of france.

If you actually read what I wrote I didn't say we needed someone like Bono to tell the rest us what's happening in the world.

BTW, What's Bono's holiday home got to do with anything?  Is it just another opportunity to have a pop at Bono?

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 07:21:28 AM »
Yes, the Haiti victims will be still be suffering when U2 start touring again. Yes, the public will have lost interest. Isn't that exactly why U2 needs to campaign for Haiti in concert? To remind the world that there are still people suffering in Haiti long after the newsprint fades?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 07:34:19 AM »
Yes, the Haiti victims will be still be suffering when U2 start touring again. Yes, the public will have lost interest. Isn't that exactly why U2 needs to campaign for Haiti in concert? To remind the world that there are still people suffering in Haiti long after the newsprint fades?

I agree yukona.  U2 have to strike a careful balance between helping to sustain interest and concern for the plight of Haitians during their shows, and not letting it interfere with the entertainment.  I felt that on the 'Vertigo' tour Bono overdid the preaching with the overlong intro to 'One' and his bandmates probably felt the same. 

It seems that U2 have already recorded a charity single to raise funds for disaster relief.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »
I hope not but this morning they had a 6.1 quake again. I dont know whats
going to happen to the island now.