Author Topic: Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Appreciation Thread!  (Read 16370 times)

Offline latindrummer2112

• Refugee
  • my gig review blog ->latindrummer.wordpress.com
Re: Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I'm always disappointed at the lack of metal touring acts my area gets. I live in desolate Central California, a secondary market, so most "big" rock and metal acts pass over this area in favor of LA, San Jose and San Francisco. Tool and Paramore were here recently, but they're very mainstream. Mayhem Fest was here years ago. Wish there was something I could do to get more touring acts here.

my gig review blog---->You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »
any hard rock fans here every listened to Ace Frehley (of Kiss) '78 solo record? I grew up a Kiss fan from my older brothers but never really gave a serious listen to their '78 solo records. I've read a lot of good things about Ace's album so I decided last week to give it a listen and it's actually a really good hard rock album. More hard rock then every Kiss album other then maybe Hotter then Hell. It also contains the only hit from the solo albums in New York Groove, and has some really good songs like Rip it Out and I'm in Need of Love. He plays everything but drums which are done by Anton Fig of David Lettermans band.

Full album You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rip it Out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm In Need of Love You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

New York Groove You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2014, 09:57:58 AM »
^ best thing any member of KI$$ ever did.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Great to see the King back out there after the health scares of the last few years. Hoping to get to Toronto.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »
GRANDMA WHAT WAS IT LIIIIIKKKKKKEEEE?!!! 8)

Offline The Mimsy

• Stateless
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:03 AM »
Never been a KISS fan. Sorry. And after the whole R&R Hall of Fame BS, they lost what little respect I had for them. I do however love the whole thrash thing. I'm from the Bay Area, grew up with the guys from Metallica, Exodus, Testament, etc. In fact, I'll be spending some time with Chuck Billy from Testament and his family this weekend. But aside from the musical aspect, there are a lot of things that the average person doesn't know about the metal/thrash community. It is one of the most close knit, amazingly loving, charitable communities you will find in music. They not only do unprecedented benefits for their brethren in the metal community, they will turn out in droves to help out a fan. There was a couple that were huge fans of the Bay Area metal scene and they were involved in a motorcycle accident a few years ago which took the life of a man named Jeff Davis and left his wife, Nikki, in a coma for a long while, to only wake up to the fact that her partner of 15 years had been killed. Her medical costs skyrocketed and when the metal community heard about this, Robb Flynn from Machinehead and a good friend of mine, Craig LoCicero who was the guitar player for Forbidden and now in a band called SpiralArms, got together and managed to get members from Metallica, Slayer, Testament, Exodus, Forbidden, Vio-Lence and many more to do a benefit for Nikki to cover her medical costs. Every time one of their own (and by their "own", I mean not only those in the industry but their fans) is in need, regardless of what they have going on in the careers, they drop it and rush to help. I've been involved in the music industry for over 25 years and I've never seen the kind of love and respect anywhere as I do in the metal community. There's no such thing as being "too big" of a band in that genre. They always ensure they are accessible to the fans and ego seems to be a ridiculous concept among them...the exception being a certain drummer from a previously mentioned band that is the one dark spot amongst all the bright ones. Ahem. :)

And with my love affair with the metal genre, my número all time fave band of any genre is...you guessed it- our boys in U2. I get teased a lot by my metal family but the respect they all have for the the musicianship of U2 is universal.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Great to see the King back out there after the health scares of the last few years. Hoping to get to Toronto.

I'm not as familiar with King Diamond as I'd like to be but I'm sort of thinking about going to the Pittsburgh gig.

hrsan

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »

And with my love affair with the metal genre, my número all time fave band of any genre is...you guessed it- our boys in U2. I get teased a lot by my metal family but the respect they all have for the the musicianship of U2 is universal.

I'm the same way.   I never got teased for it though.   

Offline The Mimsy

• Stateless
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
For you metal fans, the new Mastodon album is a MONSTER. Definitely worth a listen or 10. :)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
Never been a KISS fan. Sorry. And after the whole R&R Hall of Fame BS, they lost what little respect I had for them. I do however love the whole thrash thing. I'm from the Bay Area, grew up with the guys from Metallica, Exodus, Testament, etc. In fact, I'll be spending some time with Chuck Billy from Testament and his family this weekend. But aside from the musical aspect, there are a lot of things that the average person doesn't know about the metal/thrash community. It is one of the most close knit, amazingly loving, charitable communities you will find in music. They not only do unprecedented benefits for their brethren in the metal community, they will turn out in droves to help out a fan. There was a couple that were huge fans of the Bay Area metal scene and they were involved in a motorcycle accident a few years ago which took the life of a man named Jeff Davis and left his wife, Nikki, in a coma for a long while, to only wake up to the fact that her partner of 15 years had been killed. Her medical costs skyrocketed and when the metal community heard about this, Robb Flynn from Machinehead and a good friend of mine, Craig LoCicero who was the guitar player for Forbidden and now in a band called SpiralArms, got together and managed to get members from Metallica, Slayer, Testament, Exodus, Forbidden, Vio-Lence and many more to do a benefit for Nikki to cover her medical costs. Every time one of their own (and by their "own", I mean not only those in the industry but their fans) is in need, regardless of what they have going on in the careers, they drop it and rush to help. I've been involved in the music industry for over 25 years and I've never seen the kind of love and respect anywhere as I do in the metal community. There's no such thing as being "too big" of a band in that genre. They always ensure they are accessible to the fans and ego seems to be a ridiculous concept among them...the exception being a certain drummer from a previously mentioned band that is the one dark spot amongst all the bright ones. Ahem. :)

Nice post. I'm a Kiss fan but I can see why a lot in the metal community don't like them. Kiss's music is more straight ahead rock then metal.

My older brother is a metal fan and he got me into Iron Maiden when I was young. They are about as heavy as I will go. He is a huge Slayer fan but they aren't my cup of tea.

so what drummer were you talking about? Lombardo or Ulrich?

From what I've read Lombardo doesn't have many good things to say about Slayer. Supposedly he was making less then $100,000 a year from them and claims their management stole all the money. When he wanted to hire a auditor the band let him go.

Offline The Mimsy

• Stateless
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »
Not Dave. He is a gem. I know both sides of the split story and they both had valid arguments. Sometimes, all the brotherhood in the world and all the love can't repair the all too familiar "creative differences" thing. Along with the fact that money was a huge issue. I used to date a bass player in one of the more well known metal bands and as big as they were, they'd go on tour, play festivals in Europe (either headlining or second headliner) to sold out crowds, some as many as 80,000 in attendance and then come home and have to borrow money to cover the mortgage payment on their house. Aside from the obvious Metallica success and they have absolutely become filthy rich, Slayer is the only other metal act that actually has gotten what most would consider rich from what they do. And that's not because of the album sales or the tour. It's because it's members have invested wisely in other areas. Money was a huge issue with Lomardo and the Slayer camp. Dave felt like he hadn't reaped the rewards in the same amounts as the rest of the band but it was mostly (not completely) due to other investments.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2014, 10:34:37 AM »
^ not to mention that there was a long stretch where he wasn't in the band.

moving on...Tool news:    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2014, 11:05:27 AM »
I'm just discovering Tool so I have "new" material, but this wait is dreadful.

Offline DEX

• Refugee
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2014, 11:26:56 PM »
I may be the only person who thinks this but maybe there is a second.......

I researched quite a bit on finding similar bands to U2. People mentioned Radiohead, Coldplay, Simple minds etc...
but for me they were not even close...IMHO.

For me, the closest band to U2 is METALLICA! haaa.
(Lars Ulrich is a massive fan of U2) Maybe its because they change the 'sounds' per album which is similar to U2's albums...

But back to the thread...

1) Metallica
2) Linken Park
3) Avenged sevenfold (The new album - Hail to the king)
4) Guns and Roses (original band material only)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2015, 10:48:14 AM »

...no way Satan's Rage isn't already taken.  :(