Poll

Who would you like to produce the next U2 album and why?

Brian Eno / Daniel Lanois
Rick Rubin
William Orbit
Themselves
Steve Lillywhite
Trent Reznor
Jimmy Iovine
Jack White
Howie B
Jack Frost
Other

Author Topic: Next Producer?  (Read 8960 times)

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
Re: Next Producer?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »
I'm intrigued by the idea of Jack White producing them. He has such passion for his music. Yes, he'd have clashes with Edge, but I believe they are both mature enough to make those work for them, rather than pull them apart.
Whatever he came up with would be interesting, that's for sure.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 06:14:44 AM »
I wonder if Bono and The Edge have different ideas of what the sound should be on a new U2 album.  If so what about bringing in more than one producer to work on different songs much like the Stones did with 'Bridges To Babylon', which turned out to be their most experimental album for years.  Just a thought.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 06:20:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wonder if Bono and The Edge have different ideas of what the sound should be on a new U2 album.  If so what about bringing in more than one producer to work on different songs much like the Stones did with 'Bridges To Babylon', which turned out to be their most experimental album for years.  Just a thought.

for me thats been part of the 'problem' with the last two albums. Too many opinions, too many different sounds, too many countries - its an album for crying out loud! One room, one producer, one love.

It did work for the Stones though - Bridges is a pretty good album.

Offline AndyU2

• Numb
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 12:04:14 PM »
I personally love William Orbit's work.
Just my opinion.

Offline Boy83

• Stateless
  • My Blue Room
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 03:33:53 PM »
I think that if they really want to change things up a bit they would work with someone other than batman and robin... Not that NLOTH wasn't good. but if they want to keep things changing and going in different directions they should try something new. I think (and voted for) Steve would be kinda' interesting... but maybe also very conservative.

Jack white.... possibly

Jack Bower.... YES!!!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 05:17:09 PM »
I'll have a crack at it

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 07:55:15 PM »
I'll have a crack at it

yeah, it can't be that hard, they must know what they're doing by now, basically gotta just tell them what sounds bad and tell what would make it sound better. too easy.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 08:11:27 PM »
I think that if they really want to change things up a bit they would work with someone other than batman and robin... Not that NLOTH wasn't good. but if they want to keep things changing and going in different directions they should try something new. I think (and voted for) Steve would be kinda' interesting... but maybe also very conservative.

Jack white.... possibly

Jack Bower.... YES!!!

How about Jack Black?

Now those would be interesting (and fun) studio sessions!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »
I wish there was a "anyone other than Eno/Lanois" category. There wasn't so I went with "other".

I agree with the point that U2 producing U2 would be brilliant, but it would probably take a UN resolution to get them to finish the thing within 10 years. I would love ot hear their work with Rick Rubin, but I do not see that happening for a whole album, largely do the the band's above mentioned ability to make up their mind and finish something. Rubin wants the song done BEFORE you go into the studio and start recording.

I loved what Jack White did for Loretta Lynn, but I think he would be horrible for U2.  He is not a fan of technology and U2 is not ready to record an acoustic album.

I would LOVE to hear what U2 could do with Butch Vigg (Smashing Pumpkins, Garbage, Foo Fighters) He did a great mix of Staring At The Sun for them. Billy Corgin would not be bad either. He is a genius producer with a huge respect for the bands history.

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 10:05:46 PM »
I keep saying Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis along with maybe Steve L and William Orbit. As long as it's not Eno/Lanois

u2michael

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
I voted William Orbit.

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 03:12:58 PM »
Jimmy Page!  Oh he'd do wonders with them, especially Edge.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 03:36:04 PM »
If I'd have to pick an outside producer that has not worked with them before in that capacity, I'd like to nominate T Bone Burnett.
He and Bono go way back and he's considered a hot property as a producer these days, even though he's been around for decades. T Bone has also gotten into alternate sound formats recently with the CODE format. I guess he could easily take over from where U2 have abandoned their sessions with Rick Rubin and finish that album with them.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 10:49:39 PM »
Rubin. All the way. They need to challenge themselves in a different way.

Window in the skies is a beautiful track.

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 06:23:31 AM »
Like some others have said, I'd like them to get back with Rick Rubin. I'd love to hear that stuff...