Poll

Who would you like to produce the next U2 album and why?

Brian Eno / Daniel Lanois
Rick Rubin
William Orbit
Themselves
Steve Lillywhite
Trent Reznor
Jimmy Iovine
Jack White
Howie B
Jack Frost
Other

Author Topic: Next Producer?  (Read 8962 times)

hurricane hugo

Re: Next Producer?
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I voted William Orbit.

I don't know what brought this topic back into my mind; it was probably listening to Seal's latest earlier. It would be fun to see U2 hook up with a producer (or producers) from various electronic dance music fields.  Deep Dish, Boards of Canada, Autechre - hell, rinoceros might be a good match, seeing as both members are guitarists.

#@!

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2010, 02:34:55 PM »
I must say I doubt that an electronic producer would be a good fit at this point in time. On NLOTH, they have already had 2 people on board that used to be associate or co-producers on other productions by Daniel Lanois. Mark Howard is an engineer and a formidable producer in his own right - and Tony Mangurian is both a producer and used to play drums as well.
If they don't want Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno again, they could just go for either of the two or just for Mark Howard.

Let's say they start the album with Mark Howard, and then later bring in Lanois and Eno to help out fine tuning things in a quasi-Lillywhite capacity. How about that?

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »
I went with Rubin simply because of Window In The Skies.  I absolutely love that song.

I always liked Scott Litt's work with R.E.M. - that might be interesting too.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 03:48:22 PM »
I must say I doubt that an electronic producer would be a good fit at this point in time. On NLOTH, they have already had 2 people on board that used to be associate or co-producers on other productions by Daniel Lanois. Mark Howard is an engineer and a formidable producer in his own right - and Tony Mangurian is both a producer and used to play drums as well.
If they don't want Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno again, they could just go for either of the two or just for Mark Howard.

Let's say they start the album with Mark Howard, and then later bring in Lanois and Eno to help out fine tuning things in a quasi-Lillywhite capacity. How about that?

I'd rather they just keep Eno/Lanois as songwriting collaborators for the next album and hand off the grunt work to someone else.

#@!

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »
I voted other because Nigel Godrich is who I would choose.

Offline xtrmntr

• Stateless
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
I don't understand all the love towards Rick Rubin.  Here's a list of some of the artists he's produced for:

Justin Timberlake, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mick Jagger, Dixie Chicks.

If U2 wants to sell some records, then yeah go with Rubin.  If they want to make a great record, stick with Eno/Lanois or any other producer.  I really love No Line, but I'm scared that U2 wants to sell records next time around and go with Rubin and produce radio-friendly crap like their previous album (stink)bomb.  I say that U2 wants to sell records 'cause I've read some articles where the band members have discussed the disappointing record sales of No Line.  Rubin will produce crap like all the (stink)bomb era songs. 

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »
I don't understand all the love towards Rick Rubin.  Here's a list of some of the artists he's produced for:

Justin Timberlake, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mick Jagger, Dixie Chicks.

If U2 wants to sell some records, then yeah go with Rubin.  If they want to make a great record, stick with Eno/Lanois or any other producer.  I really love No Line, but I'm scared that U2 wants to sell records next time around and go with Rubin and produce radio-friendly crap like their previous album (stink)bomb.  I say that U2 wants to sell records 'cause I've read some articles where the band members have discussed the disappointing record sales of No Line.  Rubin will produce crap like all the (stink)bomb era songs. 

It seems like you were very selective in your artist selection in order to bolster your point. You forgot to mention the Beastie Boys, Run-DMC, Slayer, Metallica, Linkin Park, Sheryl Crow, The Cult, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Greenday, Niel Diamond and those Top 40 pop icons - Danzig and Rage Against The Machine. Let's not forget he produced what many consider to be THE essential recordings of Johnny Cash despite the fact that almost none of that work received radio airplay.

Rhubin is no hit machine, nor is he a failed musician turned producer. He has clearly creative producer who has produced a massive body of work with a huge variety of artist. That said, I still wish the band would work with Butch Vig.

Offline FMVorenkamp

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »
I would be highly interested in hearing a U2 Album produced by Gabriel & Dresden, who have already publicly expressed interest in producing a U2 album.

Additionally, Steven Wilson of progressive band "Porcupine Tree" is a genius producer-- check out the song called, "Harmony Korine" from his solo release and tell me that's not EXACTLY the slightly darker direction U2 should take.

Wilson manages to take the jangly U2 style in this song, and transform it into something driving, beautiful, and haunting.

I would adore seeing him take on U2. The man is a musical prodigy.

Offline OptimaX

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • ZOOPOP
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »
Flood should produce. With the assistance of Butch Vig.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 05:05:36 PM »
Being a producer means getting the best out of the artist you are recording.

It doesn't mean that Rubin wrote the songs for Justin Timberlake, Chili Peppers, Dixie Chicks etc.

It just means they felt he could get the best out of them for the style of music they already wanted to make.

A great producer will be capable of getting the most out of any artist.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
Butch Vig would be awesome.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2010, 12:18:57 AM »
I would be highly interested in hearing a U2 Album produced by Gabriel & Dresden, who have already publicly expressed interest in producing a U2 album.

Additionally, Steven Wilson of progressive band "Porcupine Tree" is a genius producer-- check out the song called, "Harmony Korine" from his solo release and tell me that's not EXACTLY the slightly darker direction U2 should take.

Wilson manages to take the jangly U2 style in this song, and transform it into something driving, beautiful, and haunting.

I would adore seeing him take on U2. The man is a musical prodigy.

While I would still favor Vig, listen to his mix of Staring At The Sun, either of those would be pretty amazing directions for the band to go. That clip definitely sounds like something U2 could delve into - sort of NLOTH with teeth.

Offline silvrlvr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Three things I need you to know -- three!
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2010, 08:16:05 AM »
I'm dying to hear the Rubin sessions. I have a feeling they were awesome, but so unlike the conventional U2 that it freaked out the band and they went running back to Eno/Lanois. (I have no problem with Eno, but the combination of he and Lanois is like dating a bad boyfriend.)

I really, really want to hear something fresh from the band, not the over produced moments on NLOTH. I would not be averse to Timbaland, either, if they want to shake things up.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »
I'm dying to hear the Rubin sessions. I have a feeling they were awesome, but so unlike the conventional U2 that it freaked out the band and they went running back to Eno/Lanois. (I have no problem with Eno, but the combination of he and Lanois is like dating a bad boyfriend.)

I really, really want to hear something fresh from the band, not the over produced moments on NLOTH. I would not be averse to Timbaland, either, if they want to shake things up.

I thought the clips of the Rubin songs sounded quite good, but not very different to Bomb. I think Eno and Lanois helped them write a more ambitious album.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 05:42:03 AM »
I'd love to hear Bono work with Mousse T at one point. Yes, he's a DJ and programmer mainly, but he's also got his own rock band, so he should know about the inner workings of such an organisation.
Still, Mousse T's style would fit better to solo Bono than to U2 because the characteristic sound of Edge and Larry's polyrhythmic approach wouldn't fit together too well with Mousse T's beats from house music. Yet, if the song in question were to go in a similar direction as "In A Little While", it could work out really great.