Author Topic: BONO and U2  (Read 5437 times)

Offline danrice39

• Babyface
BONO and U2
« on: January 19, 2009, 12:26:06 PM »
After watching the coverage by CNN this weekend, there really is no band called U2 anymore.  The performer they kept referring to all day on Sunday was Bono.  Bono will be performing.  Bono, Bruce Springsteen and Beyonce.  Stevie Wonder, Mary J Blige and Bono.  I even heard Bono, Bruce Springsteen and U2.  I wonder if U2 is having an identity crisis thanks to Bono??

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:10:38 PM by danrice39 »

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
Re: BONO and U2
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »
That just means CNN is letting their journalistic standards drop.  I saw no such schism at other news sites.

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After watching the coverage by CNN this weekend, there really is no band called U2 anymore.  The performer they kept referring to all day on Sunday was Bono.  Bono will be performing.  Bono, Bruce Springsteen and Beyonce.  Stevie Wonder, Mary J Blige and Bono.  I even heard Bono, Bruce Springsteen and U2.  I wonder is U2 is having an identity crisis thanks to Bono??

CNN is just stupid. But I hope this doesn't become a trend because people who might not know better might get the impression that U2 are no more. Stupid, careless media....

mariamontreal

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »
 I watched CNN all day starting at 2:pm in hope of seeing the concert and was very disappointed when I later found out it was on HBO which I do not have. The actual coverage was very nice but I kept flipping the stations in hope of seeing it but it was the same bits and pieces of entertainers . I still haven't heard GOYB yet as I am at work and it's not possible to have a radio on , I will be patient and when I hear it great. But from the reactions from the other fans it sounds great . So  to get back to my point I don't understand why the concert was not shown seeing it is a historic moment .  It sucks .

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 01:35:24 PM »
What the Bloody H#@l!!!

I know exactly what you mean, on NPR they kept saying Bono was going to sing instead of "U2 will preform"!!!

and I kind of feel the same way, I feel as a country watching history being made (no matter what side of the fence you sit on) we should all have the opportunity to view it on  at least our public T.V stations?  But I am sure many of the networks have been paid much bigger bucks to not interrupt football.  I would have even watched it taped and aired at a later less "money" time on a network.

And I don't know why they would just keep saying Bono, (name dropping) maybe it is like how Oprah didnt' even know who he was until he came to her to use her show as a platform to spread some info about Africa and the One campaign.  Now she goes on about my "friend" Bono, I mean really, she didn't even know who he was until then?  and I bet she doesn't even know the names of his three best mates!!!

sorry, had to get that off my chest, ok now

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »
Well, maybe, to some extent, the worst has happened, at least as far as the media goes: Bono has overshadowed U2.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:37:20 PM »
I was really surprised by that too!  I'm sure Larry is having a fit!  LOL :D
Seriously though, I thought its bad that a number of news sources did that.  Bono is Bono but U2 performed and proper credit should be given where due.   >:(

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  and I bet she doesn't even know the names of his three best mates!!!

Yeah, but who else besides U2 fans know who Gavin and Guggi are?   ;)

I can't think of a third, since they're 'The Unholy Trinity' as they call themselves

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:08:40 PM »
Yeah, that was weird that people kept saying it was Bono performing instead of saying U2. Though wasn't it first announced that it would be Bono, before they announced it would be the whole band? Even so, someone should have figured it out.

Haha my dad had only heard the news say Bono and he didn't believe me when I told him the whole band was playing...I said, Dad, I'm a U2 freak, I KNOW these things.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »
This is what happens when news people try to talk about music.   ;D

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 05:11:14 AM »
OneTreeHill I completely agree with you!  It is not Bono + U2  it is U2. Drives me up the wall.  Also, they should have aired that nationally simply because it was a part of history.

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »
I suspect there was some kind of press release sent out beforehand that referred to Bono rather than U2.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 03:26:09 PM »
You guys are surprised that a news anchor messed up on the names?  It seems every news anchor is clueless about pop culture and when they do talk about it they come across as morons.  You would think they would read a little info before trying to be an expert on something.  I'm glad they pronounced Bono's name right. 

mariamontreal

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:54:03 AM »
I agree with you whitewave the concert was only seen on HBO , that was pretty mean for those of  us who don't have the HBO channel . I am really p....d off about that.I still haven't seen the concert just bits here and there.
I am not a happy camper.

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »
CNN is just stupid. They probably only said that because Bono is the frontman, and the one who is involved with everything and is the one everyone knows. And obviously the spotlight is mostly on him when the band plays because he's the one thats singing (NOT bashing any of the other boys... I wouldnt dream of it  :D).

Well... boys will be boys.... and Bono will be Bono  ;D