Author Topic: Memorable MacPhisto/MirrorBall Man Telephone Calls  (Read 8659 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Memorable MacPhisto/MirrorBall Man Telephone Calls
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:42:02 PM »
Every night during the Zoo TV/Zooropa tour Bono, in the persona of his alter ego's MacPhisto or Mirror Ball Man, placed a sometimes interesting and often humorous telephone call. 

Which are the most memorable for you?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:46:45 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
Re: Memorable MacPhisto/Mirror Ball Man Telephone Calls
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 05:32:08 AM »
There's a bootleg out there of the Houston, Texas ZOO TV Outside Broadcast show.  Bono calls the Whitehouse, this is the fall of 1992 just before Bill Clinton wins, and when the operator won't put him through he says something like "George Bush doesn't have time for the people of Texas!".  They were great shows also because at the beginning with Zoo Station images of George Bush and Saddam Hussein merged on the screens and they sliced audio that had Bush saying "I instructed our military commanders to totally rock Bagdhad."  That was classic.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 05:37:24 AM »
Help me out with this-- I swear there was one where he orderd pizza? For the entire audience.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:42:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Help me out with this-- I swear there was one where he orderd pizza? For the entire audience.

ZOO TV Detroit.  He ordered 10,000 pizzas.  They talk about that in U2 By U2.  I think they delivered a few hundred?

Offline Belisama

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:45:37 AM »

ZOO TV Detroit.  He ordered 10,000 pizzas.  They talk about that in U2 By U2.  I think they delivered a few hundred?

I knew it! Must you tube it!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
I have many favourites (it'd be quicker to list the unremarkable ones), but some of the best conversations include:

Monique at KLM (Rotterdam)
Jan Henry Olsen (Oslo)
Derryn Hinch (Melbourne)
Dame Edna (Melbourne)
Graham Cornes (Adelaide)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »
^I love those first two. Monique was great.

I also like the MacPhisto conversation in Stockholm. Apparently the girl was a U2 fan, or it seemed that way. :D

But my two favorites, the ones I love to listen to the most, are 1. 11 August 1993, London- when Salman Rushdie came onstage, and 2. 27 August 1993, Dublin- Bono phoned his house. "Daddy, if that's you, we're not coming home until you take your horns off!" <3 D'aww.

Hmmm... I would love to know more about the American Mirrorball Man calls. I haven't downloaded any bootlegs from Outside Broadcast or the first leg. I would probably understand more of the references. :D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »
I also like the MacPhisto conversation in Stockholm. Apparently the girl was a U2 fan, or it seemed that way. :D
That was hilarious, he couldn't shut her up!

Yes, the routine with Salman was great. "Do you get out and about much these days?" ;D

I may be wrong, but I don't think the Mirrorball Man calls were anywhere near as varied as MacPhisto's. Mostly the White House or the speaking clock.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »

And of course, I saw the next (or previous) show in Cleveland.  Epic show, but no free pizza for us.  Somehow, most of the shows I've ever seen are seemingly unremarkable historically.  Though I think I did see the first full performance of the First Time, and maybe Your Blue Room.  Though I'm not sure on the latter.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 03:03:07 AM »

And of course, I saw the next (or previous) show in Cleveland.  Epic show, but no free pizza for us.  Somehow, most of the shows I've ever seen are seemingly unremarkable historically.  Though I think I did see the first full performance of the First Time, and maybe Your Blue Room.  Though I'm not sure on the latter.
If you were at Chicago 2 during the 360 tour, I think that was the first live performance of YBR.

surit87

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 03:06:51 AM »
His lines before the phone call and the phone call itself at Sydney were hilarious.

marvgadgie

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 03:15:15 AM »
In Leeds he thanked the generous people of the north of England for letting everyone dump their nuclear waste here. A very uncomfortable silence exploded in to cheers when he rings the environment minister to thank him for sending it here. It was just around the "Stop Sellafield" time and as usual the politician "wasn't home".

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 06:41:21 AM »
At the Outside Broadcast in Atlanta, he called the White House and had apparently developed a rapport with the operator. He said he had left tickets for her to a previous show and was disappointed that she didn't show up.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »
In Leeds he thanked the generous people of the north of England for letting everyone dump their nuclear waste here. A very uncomfortable silence exploded in to cheers when he rings the environment minister to thank him for sending it here. It was just around the "Stop Sellafield" time and as usual the politician "wasn't home".

I love how polite his wife was, under the circumstances!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »

I love how polite his wife was, under the circumstances!

As Environment Secretary in the Conservative government, John Gummer introduced the UK's first Environmental Tax, the landfill tax. BBC Wildlife magazine described him as the "Environment Secretary against which all others are judged", putting him in the top ten environmental heroes.  In 1997, he was awarded a Medal of Honour by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.