Author Topic: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...  (Read 22924 times)

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
Re: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2010, 12:46:57 PM »
If Taylor Swift is was earns a Grammy nowadays, I hope U2 never gets another one.  I'd never heard her before until last night.  She was flat and had no color to her voice. If she auditioned for me, she wouldn't get a call back.

[/derail]

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They can't rest on their laurels anymore.

Exactly!  :)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2010, 01:20:11 PM »
I think people may be over-optimistic in reading that this will show U2 not to rest on their laurels, since NLOTH was hardly that.

All I'm saying is, look what happened the LAST time they made an album that didn't sell as well and was spurned by some critics (Although NLOTH, like Pop, has also recieved HUGE and well-deserved acclaim for others) and awards. NLOTH was the first time since Pop they really went outside their comfort zone even a bit- this could easily force them right back in.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »
I wish people would give U2 some credit.  They're not idiots you know.

Offline ColseU2

• Wanderer
  • Dream outloud
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
I wish people would give U2 some credit.  They're not idiots you know.

exactly they are the worlds biggest rock band they are allowed what some people call a blip personally i think every album has its positives and negatives

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
I think people may be over-optimistic in reading that this will show U2 not to rest on their laurels, since NLOTH was hardly that.

All I'm saying is, look what happened the LAST time they made an album that didn't sell as well and was spurned by some critics (Although NLOTH, like Pop, has also recieved HUGE and well-deserved acclaim for others) and awards. NLOTH was the first time since Pop they really went outside their comfort zone even a bit- this could easily force them right back in.

And therein lieth the U2 Dilemma, Patent Pending. Go adventurous and experimental and risk losing fans, or play it safe and gain new ones while alienating the hardcore fanbase.  U2 knows what they're doing. This time they had songs of both kinds on one album. Worked for me and 4 million others. But even if it worked for 100 others they followed their muse.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2010, 02:16:50 PM »

I really don't think they were sitting on their laurels with NLOTH. If they had put out another HTDAAB, then that would have been laurel sitting. They tried something different. They didn't go for the obvious.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »

I really don't think they were sitting on their laurels with NLOTH. If they had put out another HTDAAB, then that would have been laurel sitting. They tried something different. They didn't go for the obvious.

U2 have never released an album that sounds like it's predecessor.  That's part of their greatness.

Offline Achtung Bubba

• Stateless
  • Achtung, Y'all.
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »

U2 have never released an album that sounds like it's predecessor.  That's part of their greatness.

In 2001, I would have agreed with this statement.  Now, I don't.

Especially in terms of its singles, HTDAAB is a rehash of ATYCLB:  Vertigo = Elevation, SYCMIOYO = SIAMYCGOO.

No Line is essentially The Unforgetable Fire without the singles, or the Passengers album without the cajones.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:19 PM »

Especially in terms of its singles, HTDAAB is a rehash of ATYCLB:  Vertigo = Elevation, SYCMIOYO = SIAMYCGOO.

No Line is essentially The Unforgetable Fire without the singles, or the Passengers album without the cajones.
If It's Passengers (which I actually find an insult to that sometimes brilliant album) than it's Passengers without the balls, creativity and the honesty. Passengers is U2's superior electronic experimental album. It's a band at the height of their creativity. ATYCLB, BOMB and No line is a band at their lowest point of creativity. Bomb and No line are actually the most directionless U2 albums around. Behind at least has the big toning down and selling out and beggin on their knees for their fans to come back, populism factor going for it. And that's a compliment.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »

I don't think we've been listening to the same albums ???

satellitedog01

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2010, 04:05:34 PM »
Wow, this ones a real mindbender. Probly for the band themselves a lot more so.
Yeah I find No Line a half step in the right direction, but it really isn't enough for a statement of musical bravura or courage for me at least.

I was able to enjoy No Line far more than the last two (serious midlife crisis to need 2 albums to bounce back), but was baffled by the inclusion of some overbaked leftover feeling stuff like Breathe and Stand Up Comedy and underdeveloped throwaway like Being Born. Not to mention hearing the snippets of original jams from Fez, which had real life in them compared to what made it onto the album.
Once again, U2 are in the position where they can go into full throttle experimentation, no one will mistake them for another band...

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »
It's like NLOTH is one step forward, 2 steps back. *shrugs*

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »
The next album better be good. (although after three very mediocre albums in a row I doubt it)

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2010, 04:42:23 PM »
contra
contra
contradiction is the place to be

Bono quoting Sam Shepard