Author Topic: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...  (Read 23013 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »
Congratulations to Beyonce 8)

Offline happyme

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Wow sexy & friends rocked sydney 13&14 2010
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »
All though this is my first post here i have been a long time reader of these fourms,
i just felt the need to add my 2cents worth to this topic,of the guys getting shut out of the awards,do u really think that they care
obvisouly not as they didnt even turn up,& i have read ab out bono sounding of about these awards any way.
as for the people who reackon that they are getting to old,please correct me if im wrong but from what i saw,elton john helped open the show=older in 70's
the boss one one=older in 60"s
acdc one=older in60's
judas priest one one=older in 60's
thet are just a few examples that i found,so there all i have to add is that the american music secne is in trouble if you have to award a trany like ga-ga,kol & that joke greenday.
i for one love NLOTH have not take it of my stero since it came out find it much better than the last 2
also last thought would you americans please take back pink ther alot of as aussies that really dont like that type of muzack ::)

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Honestly, I love U2 more than any band...

but NLOTH did not deserve best rock album of the year, and I'm really happy that 21st century breakdown won... that album was by far one of the greatest albums i've heard in a loooooong time.

Don't get me wrong, U2 is ten times better than Green Day, but I'm not gonna be naive and in denial

Please don't call someone naive if they like something you don't; it sounds very sanctimonious. I've heard 21st century breakdown a few times and for me it sounds like bog-standard Greenday b-sides. NLOTH has more imagination for me. Just my opinion though.

I second DCGordon's request!

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »

but NLOTH did not deserve best rock album of the year, and I'm really happy that 21st century breakdown won... that album was by far one of the greatest albums i've heard in a loooooong time.

Don't get me wrong, U2 is ten times better than Green Day, but I'm not gonna be naive and in denial

Please don't call someone naive if they like something you don't; it sounds very sanctimonious. I've heard 21st century breakdown a few times and for me it sounds like bog-standard Greenday b-sides. NLOTH has more imagination for me. Just my opinion though.

I'll third it. As a supposed card-carrying member of the U2 militia, it gets really tiring to get accused of telling people they can't have an opinion when nothing of that sort is taking place. But then to be referred to as "naive" and "in denial" because I like a particular album? Wow. I dont mind people running around on this forum who can't articulate anything beyond "it sucks" and "it makes me want to barf". That's what opinions are for. But keep your names and personal judgments to yourself.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2010, 06:59:39 PM »
I too thought NLOTH was a better album than Green Day's.

But I really think the Grammys are fast becoming a joke.

Luis Youtwo

« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2010, 07:00:52 PM »
All though this is my first post here i have been a long time reader of these fourms,
i just felt the need to add my 2cents worth to this topic,of the guys getting shut out of the awards,do u really think that they care
obvisouly not as they didnt even turn up,& i have read ab out bono sounding of about these awards any way.
as for the people who reackon that they are getting to old,please correct me if im wrong but from what i saw,elton john helped open the show=older in 70's
the boss one one=older in 60"s
acdc one=older in60's
judas priest one one=older in 60's
thet are just a few examples that i found,so there all i have to add is that the american music secne is in trouble if you have to award a trany like ga-ga,kol & that joke greenday.
i for one love NLOTH have not take it of my stero since it came out find it much better than the last 2
also last thought would you americans please take back pink ther alot of as aussies that really dont like that type of muzack ::)

Hey Happy me welcome to the forum there is a section where you can say hi to everyone ,
im an Aussie to cool more Aussies .
now i remember New introductions its called its on the home page at the top .

Luis Youtwo

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2010, 07:03:04 PM »

Milli Vanilli won a grammy thats what i think about the grammys  ;)

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2010, 07:05:41 PM »

I'll third it. As a supposed card-carrying member of the U2 militia, it gets really tiring to get accused of telling people they can't have an opinion when nothing of that sort is taking place. But then to be referred to as "naive" and "in denial" because I like a particular album? Wow. I dont mind people running around on this forum who can't articulate anything beyond "it sucks" and "it makes me want to barf". That's what opinions are for. But keep your names and personal judgments to yourself.

Well said!

I share your weariness, but admire your perseverance!  :)

Also, Hello and welcome Happyme!

Revolver7

« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »

X4, man. U2 aside, I just agree with this on principle alone

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2010, 07:07:18 PM »
I was disappointed that U2 didn't win a single grammy last night. I also thought they should have been nominated for album of the year. I also think that HTDAAB deserved all of the Grammys that it won. I'm just really upset that the DMB got a nod for album of the year and not NLOTH.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »
I also thought they should have been nominated for album of the year.

Howdy Bloom!

miami66, this is where I was coming from. NLOTH is no more or less of a rock album than Dark Side of the Moon.  ;)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »
I also thought they should have been nominated for album of the year.

Howdy Bloom!

miami66, this is where I was coming from. NLOTH is no more or less of a rock album than Dark Side of the Moon.  ;)

I agree  :D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2010, 01:24:06 AM »
The next album better be good. (although after three very mediocre albums in a row I doubt it)

But I'm sure you've already made up your mind on it, Johnny!

Hence why I'm not fussed that they didn't win one!

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
I am actually glad U2 didn't win a Grammy. 

The fact that the Grammies are a bit meaningless means that U2 winning one is meaningless.  Unfortunately, it seems that at about the time the Grammies really started going downhill coincides to the time when U2 became obsessed with them. 

The thing I liked about an album like the Joshua Tree was that it wasn't trying to win awards; it was just good and U2 won them.  Achtung Baby is perhaps the ultimate example of U2 not trying to win awards, and while they did not win album of the year, they were nominated and they did win other major awards.  Achtung Baby is also an excellent example of U2 experimenting and succeeding on a commercial level.  People are so hung up on Pop's supposed failure (including U2) that they forget where U2 came from before that. 

I really like ATYCLB when it came out because it was a step back and actually a well written album in some regards, but now that I see where that led, I am more unhappy about it.  I am happy when I see U2 succeed commercially, but the quality means more.  In that regard, I find No Line a great album.  I love some of the songs on there, and I can care less whether any are hits.  If I remember right, Bad was never really a hit.  It was a great album track that endures because of its fantastic lyrics and sound.  I don't see songs like Magnificent or Moment of Surrender as much different, although I'll admit that takes away a bit as well with No Line.

I do find that No Line has elements of the Unforgettable Fire and I suppose if one really stretches it, Passengers.  The reality is that those two albums just really show a Brian Eno influence just like this album does during its moments.  At the same time, I find that all three of those albums as most other U2 albums tend to stand apart, and it really is a matter of taste on which albums are better.  Passengers was really a step outside the box to the point U2 didn't call it a U2 album.  So, U2 had some cajones, but not enough impress me as if they would have called it a U2 album.  No Line shows that they may still have them, but then they throw in a few obvious Pop tracks in Crazy, Comedy, and Boots (the non Eno tracks) that make me wonder.