Author Topic: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...  (Read 23019 times)

hurricane hugo

Re: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
my reaction can best be summed up as: visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

#@!

Offline macmango

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
who's there?  just the edge and morleigh?

Offline excidence

• Stateless
  • excidence will heppen
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I'll have to make my PB&J sammich when Beyonce comes on.

You do that.

???

Offline homing_pidgeon

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »
So far the band is 0 for 2 at the GRAMMYS. "I'll Go Crazy" lost both of its categories to "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon. This was during the pre-show awards ceremony. The BEST ROCK ALBUM category will be announced later during the TV broadcast.

Reactions?

Coldplay won Best Rock Album last year. Nuff said.

Offline jackie_u2

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 07:21:05 PM »
record of the year-kings of leon?! they SUCK. I thought Beyonces song was better than theres, wayyyy better!

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
Man, the Grammys suck something awful this year, both in terms of nominees and performances. At least last year we had U2 and Radiohead to liven things up.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
Sadly I think the grammys have just become one big circle jerk...

Look at the last 10-20 years for example, the best albums...

Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Quincy Jones, Natalie Cole, Tony Bennett, Bob Dylan, Steely Dan, Ray Charles, Herbie Hancock, Robert Plant/Alison Krauss, Santana, that Band of Brothers thing...

Hardly pushing the boundaries of music production.

In fact, in the same way that portraying a one-legged mentally ill holocaust victim will GUARANTEE you an Oscar, any sort of collaboration with a music legend, duets, or posthumous releases will win you a Grammy.

I'll go out on a limb and say that if Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan release an album next year of whale songs, it will win best album.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
While I LOVE the boys, I've been disappointed at the reaction to the new album.  I think it's fantastic, but I think if they win best rock album people will be snarky over it, because the Grammys as an institution reflects the ill of the music industry.  Even though I honestly think it's one of their best.  But I know I'm in the minority.  I'm just proud they are the group that has won the most Grammys ever with 22!

I always believed that the fans should vote the Grammys. 

I will also admit that of all the songs on NLOTH, "Crazy Tonight" would not be my choice for any nomination.  I think there are others on the album that are much stronger.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts! I listened to No Line yesterday for the first time in a while...I've loved it from the first time I heard it and I've never stopped loving it, but I've gotten kind of used to hearing it dismissed or criticized...but when I heard it yesterday with semi-fresh ears, I remembered just how great it sounds...all of a sudden I wondered how so many people could fail to hear what I was hearing. It just seems so utterly beautiful, a challenging, cohesive album and a real departure from their other recent material. I don't claim to understand the whims of public opinion or the intricacies of Grammy voting, and I will be a LITTLE sad but not heartbroken if it doesn't win tonight...but what I DO want more than anything is for U2 to make more music like this. I know they have a lot of stuff they're sitting on from the No Line sessions...I just hope at least some of it finds its way to us eventually!

Offline SeagirlX

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
While I LOVE the boys, I've been disappointed at the reaction to the new album.  I think it's fantastic, but I think if they win best rock album people will be snarky over it, because the Grammys as an institution reflects the ill of the music industry.  Even though I honestly think it's one of their best.  But I know I'm in the minority.  I'm just proud they are the group that has won the most Grammys ever with 22!

I always believed that the fans should vote the Grammys. 

I will also admit that of all the songs on NLOTH, "Crazy Tonight" would not be my choice for any nomination.  I think there are others on the album that are much stronger.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts! I listened to No Line yesterday for the first time in a while...I've loved it from the first time I heard it and I've never stopped loving it, but I've gotten kind of used to hearing it dismissed or criticized...but when I heard it yesterday with semi-fresh ears, I remembered just how great it sounds...all of a sudden I wondered how so many people could fail to hear what I was hearing. It just seems so utterly beautiful, a challenging, cohesive album and a real departure from their other recent material. I don't claim to understand the whims of public opinion or the intricacies of Grammy voting, and I will be a LITTLE sad but not heartbroken if it doesn't win tonight...but what I DO want more than anything is for U2 to make more music like this. I know they have a lot of stuff they're sitting on from the No Line sessions...I just hope at least some of it finds its way to us eventually!

HA!  Likewise!  I agree...it's fantastic!  What do these people know, anyway.

Offline SeagirlX

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
NUTS!  Green Day beat out U2. ???

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »
told you they wouldnt win

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 07:36:12 PM »
NOOOOOOOOO! I literally fell on the floor screaming my darn head off. Literally. And my brother laughed. And I cried. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not even one! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Ok, I'll shut up. But I am so sad I made two posts.

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
NOOOOOOOO! Ok, I'll go back downstairs to continue watching and wailing. NOOOOO!

Offline summer_

• Wanderer
  • do doo doo
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »
eww...i dont like green day

did the band even go?