Author Topic: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...  (Read 23025 times)

Offline Moose

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • There’s nothing you have that I need
Re: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »
U2 gets shut out....perhaps age is catching up with them??  >:(

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 07:40:47 PM »
The greatest album of the year didn't even get nominated

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SeagirlX

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
told you they wouldnt win

Oh I knew they wouldn't get it.  Sadly.  It's a much better album than 21st Century Breakdown, which is a Zerox copy of American Idiot.

Offline SeagirlX

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2010, 07:49:04 PM »

I think they're getting lost in the antiquated paradigm that the industry is operating on.  They need to figure out new ways to get the music out.  In my opinion, they need to take a look at how we like to get our music.  I will always love them, but I think they need to get away from all the corporate business and re-think strategy.  The album was released way too soon.  We all get older, and that could very well be part of it but I tend to think it's just the variables present in music today.  I think they still got it if they want it.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »

I think they're getting lost in the antiquated paradigm that the industry is operating on.  They need to figure out new ways to get the music out.  In my opinion, they need to take a look at how we like to get our music.  I will always love them, but I think they need to get away from all the corporate business and re-think strategy.  The album was released way too soon.  We all get older, and that could very well be part of it but I tend to think it's just the variables present in music today.  I think they still got it if they want it.

Seagirl, I hope you stick around the forum! Your insights are cool.

Offline SeagirlX

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2010, 08:04:46 PM »
Hey thanks!  I'm not going anywhere!   :)  This is fun!

Offline SeagirlX

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 08:06:07 PM »

The methods that worked in the past, don't work anymore.  It's a different world and technology obviously had something to do with it.

Offline shkee23

• Wanderer
  • That's where Adam is...Lost in Space
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2010, 08:11:22 PM »
I definitely don't think No Line was released too soon, unless of course you meant that they should have waited a few months until the more lucrative shopping season. However, if you meant that it needed more time in the studio, I'd have to say that 5 years was way TOO much between albums. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that Songs of Ascent comes out sooner rather than later...I just can't stand waiting 4-5 more years from now for a new release. I think we all know our time for U2 is waning. They're getting up there...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2010, 08:15:43 PM »

The methods that worked in the past, don't work anymore.  It's a different world and technology obviously had something to do with it.

Agree, even the multiple formats of albums is stale. you're catering to the fan base of completists (of which many of us here are) but no one outside the forum crowd will spend 100bucks on the No Line box set no matter how good it is.

Offline blissfulmitch

• Babyface
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 08:16:52 PM »
Although I LOVE No Line, dunno if they stood a chance against the Kings of Leon.

For Best Rock Album, the most realistic choice should still have been Kings of Leon. Both U2's and their album are better than 21st Century Breakdown.

For the rest, there was no way that "Crazy Tonight" was a better song than "Use Somebody."

The most interesting thing to me - and perhaps a little infuriating - is that the Kings used U2's own medicine against them. You can hear the appreciation for the "U2-sounding" genre in the younger half's (the guitarist and bassist are fellow 24 year olds, hah hah) influences. I am proud of the Kings, though, for winning Record of the Year over the twin juggernauts of a certain Ms. Sasha Fierce and a certain lady known as Gaga (ooh la la).

Offline SeagirlX

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 08:23:21 PM »

Agree, even the multiple formats of albums is stale. you're catering to the fan base of completists (of which many of us here are) but no one outside the forum crowd will spend 100bucks on the No Line box set no matter how good it is.

Yeah, I mean, we aren't buying CDs anymore.  I would LOVE to see the biggest rock band in the world come up with a revolutionary answer to file-sharing that changes the whole industry.  I mean, they always have redefined the rock show so we know they can do it.  File-sharing may never be reined in, but I'd like to see them come up with an answer that will allow them to get back on top.  Either Paul McGuinness is stuck in the past, or they're taking things for granted.  Their release of NLOTH will be a lesson for them and if they're smart, and I have no doubt that they are, they will take this away and re-think it.  Just my opinion.

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 08:28:51 PM »
Since Use Somebody is a near-direct ripoff of several Snow Patrol and Coldplay songs, who are two U2 ripoffs themselves, these awards might as well have gone to U2.  :D :D :D ;)

Offline SeagirlX

• Babyface
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 08:33:20 PM »
Since Use Somebody is a near-direct ripoff of several Snow Patrol and Coldplay songs, who are two U2 ripoffs themselves, these awards might as well have gone to U2.  :D :D :D ;)

HA!  Well said!

Offline blissfulmitch

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 08:34:26 PM »
My sentiments exactly, JoeG. Kings used U2's own medicine against them. Just like so, so, so many bands do these days.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »

BURN!

...So true though. :D