Author Topic: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...  (Read 22899 times)

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
Re: U2's GRAMMY Awards results...
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yet if U2 won a grammy today we'd all be saying how great it is and how this PROVES that they're still at the top of their game...

right?

:D :D :D
Not for me.  I don't need award shows to tell me what's good music or not.  Why do people put so much emphasis on these dumb awards?  Sure, a win may sell a few thousand more records, but big whoop.  I guess U2 gets no credit for continously selling out, or close to selling out sometimes, the biggest stadiums in the world.

Over the decades the Grammy's have been hysterical.  I remember when rock artists never got nominated never mind win.  When I was youngin I'd watch it sometimes and get upset that some great rock band didn't win got beat out by some elevator shlock music artist.  I learned early on the Grammy's were a joke.  Ask Bruce Springsteen and his fans (me included) how many times he got shafted out of a win, and he's one of the greatest song writers ever.  

I don't think U2 is too heartbroken about this, especially with the most grammy's ever won a by group under their belts.

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
random.. but did anyone else think Pink was AMAZING?

Sorry, no!  She belongs in a Vegas stage show with that act.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
Well I found the show to be boring-nothing too inspiring there! I think No Line is a beautiful album with so many layers no matter how many people dislike it . It doesn't need awards to be great. Look at what was winning!  No Line is above  a lot of that stuff.

If I wanted to see a person hanging from the ceiling I would have gotten tickets to Ringling Bros. for heaven's sake! Also, the 3D thing- the live audience had glasses but what about the rest of us. It was just a blurred mess to me. Was I absent the day 3D glasses were handed out for this telecast?!!  :D :D :D

Offline Joe G (Love You Like Mad Magazine)

• Precious Stone
  • 2 souls 2 cool 2 B in the realm of certainty
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2010, 11:13:46 AM »
Well I found the show to be boring-nothing too inspiring there! I think No Line is a beautiful album with so many layers no matter how many people dislike it . It doesn't need awards to be great. Look at what was winning!  No Line is above  a lot of that stuff.

If I wanted to see a person hanging from the ceiling I would have gotten tickets to Ringling Bros. for heaven's sake! Also, the 3D thing- the live audience had glasses but what about the rest of us. It was just a blurred mess to me. Was I absent the day 3D glasses were handed out for this telecast?!!  :D :D :D

I always flash back to the 97 MTV music video awards when I see something like this; a bunch of flavor of the month female rappers came out and did "Ladies Night" while wearing horrible Cleopatra type costumes; then U2 came out and did one of the best versions of Please I have ever heard.

NLOTH stands on its own merits.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »

SG-- you rock!

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »
U2 has deserved some of the Grammys they have won and Achtung SHOULD have won.  I think HTDAAB won because Vertigo was everywhere on TV and the RIAA doesnt need much of an excuse to hand a recognizable name like u2 an award.  But NLOTH won exactly the number of Grammy awards that it deserved.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2010, 11:32:01 AM »
What won over AB? Anyone know off the top of their head?

• Precious Stone
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »

Eric Clapton--Unplugged

• Precious Stone
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
 But NLOTH won exactly the number of Grammy awards that it deserved.

After last night the Grammys don't deserve NLOTH.  :D ;)

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2010, 11:40:34 AM »
Here's a history of the Grammy's.  Look when 'rock' started finally getting recognized and who won.  It's a total joke! 
You can do a lot of research there if you're so inclined. 

Offline Belisama

« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2010, 11:49:17 AM »

Eric Clapton--Unplugged

Hmmmmm I hate to say this, but as much as I love Slowhand, No. AB was a better album.

• Precious Stone
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2010, 11:55:46 AM »

Eric Clapton--Unplugged

Hmmmmm I hate to say this, but as much as I love Slowhand, No. AB was a better album.

Very much so. I actually liked Clapton's blues covers album "From the Cradle" better than Unplugged. But he got the sentimental vote and I don't begrudge him for it.

Offline ColseU2

• Wanderer
  • Dream outloud
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2010, 12:05:16 PM »
I like kings of leon and the song that won, i also like their old stuff and have seen them in concert but i would like to see them around as long as U2 have been and still produce the best music of all. When i went to see U2 i have never experienced anything like it, i was on that much of a high in the show that when i came out i was depressed because i would have to wait a long time to see them again.
When i came out from the KOL concert i was like yerr that was good, played well there was NOT same feeling as when i came out from wembley to see U2 and i believe they will never be able to reach that and make their audiences have goosebumps all over their bodies when watching them in concert or even on youtube

Offline Belisama

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »

Eric Clapton--Unplugged

Very much so. I actually liked Clapton's blues covers album "From the Cradle" better than Unplugged. But he got the sentimental vote and I don't begrudge him for it.

That is a hard one to argue, kind of like the whole Heath Ledge/Robert Downy Oscar race-- easier to argue well after the fact.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »
This much I know, Al Pacino should have won the best actor academy award in 1975.