Author Topic: PETITION: PLEASE DON'T PLAY 'MOMENT OF SURRENDER' AT GLASTO  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: PETITION: PLEASE DON'T PLAY 'MOMENT OF SURRENDER' AT GLASTO
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 02:34:06 PM »
I think Bad/40 would be the best closer for the Glasto festival crowd.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 03:36:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

(a) it was boring and indulgent at Wembley
(b) it's bland and depressing on the record
(c) the critics will have their vampire fangs out at Glasto - and this will give them easy blood!

Wrong on all three points imo! One of the best songs in the concert and on the album (along with NLOTH and Unknown Caller). The Glasto crowd will be well wooed by that stage, the fangs will only be used for sloppy lovebites.

Hey it's a Cathal sighting!!  ;D  The next leg of the tour can't be far away now!

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
Hey it's a Cathal sighting!!  ;D  The next leg of the tour can't be far away now!

Yeah, Nessie and Sasquatch are hibernating longer than usual :)

Offline halljoh2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Lets see colours that have never been seen.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 08:22:06 AM »
They should play it...  its a brilliant song, in the top ten they've ever done ,and it should be included even in a greatest hits set list.  How about a Ultraviolet/Streets/MOS closing?  I cant see anyone other than diehard U2 haters having a problem with that. 

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 08:48:25 AM »

(c) the critics will have their vampire fangs out at Glasto - and this will give them easy blood!

Wrong on all three points imo! One of the best songs in the concert and on the album (along with NLOTH and Unknown Caller). The Glasto crowd will be well wooed by that stage, the fangs will only be used for sloppy lovebites.

"that stage" won't be used at Glastonbury

and no stage will hide a poor song or performance, I'd be more worried about the continued beating WOWY is taking as that is a song the whole crowd WILL know, and no amount of lame rationalizing "he's singing in character" excuses will fly outside of the blinkered-hardcore-fan community

If they have the cojones they should keep MOS exactly where it is.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 07:22:36 PM »

Yeah, Nessie and Sasquatch are hibernating longer than usual :)

:D :D :D    ;)

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 10:27:31 PM »

Um, wrong interpretation of "that stage" m'dear. It was temporal, not physical, like many good things. 

Offline joe73

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 02:42:36 AM »
Moment is one of the best songs on the album and should be played at all concerts to promote the new material.

I just don't think it works as a closer. It seemed like an anticlimax at both of the concerts I attended and could have done with either a 40/yahweh/bad coming afterwords.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »

Um, wrong interpretation of "that stage" m'dear. It was temporal, not physical, like many good things. 

That's OK, some people don't even think Glastonbury is part of the UK !

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 09:28:33 AM »

and no stage will hide a poor song or performance, I'd be more worried about the continued beating WOWY is taking as that is a song the whole crowd WILL know, and no amount of lame rationalizing "he's singing in character" excuses will fly outside of the blinkered-hardcore-fan community

Ironically enough, not only have I never, ever heard any casual fan complain about this tour's WOWY, I hgave not spoken to any who realise it's that different from usual.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 09:36:38 AM »

Ironically enough, not only have I never, ever heard any casual fan complain about this tour's WOWY, I hgave not spoken to any who realise it's that different from usual.

I have not spoken to any casual fan who thinks MOS is a good closer, doesn't mean it isn't.

Glastonbury is different though, it's a general music crowd not necessarily a casual fan U2 crowd

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »
It's great to see people sticking up for the song here, but is it really a great concert closer? No way baby. The ravers, hippies and travellers of Glasto will not want to be sent into their night of a thousand parties on a depressing note.

Still - everyone has different opinions and I'm sure mine is a minority one!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 08:04:50 PM »
I dont think it wll close but I think it'll be played. They are immensly proud of it. I just hope they go all vintage on us and come out to streets, I think I would die from shock and awe, that and big tears as big as october cabbages. It would be the most fitting time to do it, I urge the band to take the risk, it wud be phenomenal and memorable

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »
I DONT AGREE AT ALL, but can at least see where people are coming from who think Moment of Surrender should not be a closer.

However, for some of the same people to suggest 40 as a replacement makes no sense.
1)  its slower
2)  Its barely a song
3)  It would fall under the same category or type of song as MOS, so why even replace MOS
4)  This is a song ONLY U2 fans appreciate.  Try playing this to any non U2 fan (recorded version or live) and witness the snoozefest
5)  I have not witnessed this song at its peak, only later when they occasionally did it on the Elevation tour as fairly lengthy snippets during BAD.  I can tell you that EVERY other snippet used in Bad, which I have experienced live, elevated the song.  40 did NOTHING, in a few cases its nearly killed the song.
For Vertigo they closed with full versions of 40... the energy was higher after Yahweh
6)  On Bootleg it hasnt faired well in the 2000s either
7)  Someone mentioned critics?  MOS is U2's most critically acclaimed song of not only the last album, but has topped many of the DECADE's best songs of 2000s lists.

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »
I am OK with them playing MOS at Glasto, because it is a truly great song, but not closing with it...and for GOD'S SAKE not attempting to add a rap sequence like they did on Saturday Night Live - that was so embarrassing. It's as if Bono was thinking, "Oh, I've heard that all the kids like rap these days - so I'd better start putting it into my songs." Kids may like rap, but not when U2 does it. Hurts just thinking about it. (If anyone did think it was cool, let me know.)