Author Topic: PETITION: PLEASE DON'T PLAY 'MOMENT OF SURRENDER' AT GLASTO  (Read 4799 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: PETITION: PLEASE DON'T PLAY 'MOMENT OF SURRENDER' AT GLASTO
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 06:18:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am OK with them playing MOS at Glasto, because it is a truly great song, but not closing with it...and for GOD'S SAKE not attempting to add a rap sequence like they did on Saturday Night Live - that was so embarrassing. It's as if Bono was thinking, "Oh, I've heard that all the kids like rap these days - so I'd better start putting it into my songs." Kids may like rap, but not when U2 does it. Hurts just thinking about it. (If anyone did think it was cool, let me know.)

I loved that addition to the song; in fact I often think he should have done that on the record at the end with the "oh oh oooh's" in the background. It doesn't quite feel like rap to me; more like a spoken-word confession. I got chills at the end when he sings the "don't leave me now" lines, I think it completes the song perfectly.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »
No. Think what you like ; but I think it's a fine closing song for the tour and teh show and matches up with teh "play a song off the new album as the last one on the tour so we don't look like a nostalgia act".

That, and the lyric about ignoring passersby works very well as teh last ones of the night - after a shared experience, everyone goes back to being a stranger.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 01:24:59 PM »
Play it, f*** the glastonbury crowd. I hope you come out to streets, it would be the best thing EVER!

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 03:11:57 PM »
WOW, this is pretty beyond belief in my opinion... I wonder how many bands in the world have fans that try to dictate their setlist to them like this.

With fans like the OP, who needs bloodthirsty critics?

PS I'm a huge fan of Moment Of Surrender, I hope they play it as a closer.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 03:14:02 PM »
I never heard anyone complain about Love Is Blindness being the last song played during ZOO TV shows and that, also, is a rather dark song...

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
I never heard anyone complain about Love Is Blindness being the last song played during ZOO TV shows and that, also, is a rather dark song...

I think the reason LOB worked is

a) it was off of AB, and album pretty much everyone loved and

b) it went better with the whole theme of the tour. From the bootlegs I've listened to and from watching the concert DVD, Zoo TV shows didn't seem to have a lot of intimacy with the crowd. The band seemed to be trying to come across as rock stars, and physically keep the intimacy and connection with the audience to a minimum, to go with the whole "irony and bombast" themes of the tour. In my opinion, that mood and attitude went very well with the songs played each night; whereas with 360, they're trying to make a connection with the audience, through the songs the play and the stage design. Having a song like MOS close the show seems to be counterproductive to that ideal.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 08:13:24 PM »
The crowd would respond to 'how long, to sing this song' - put simply. They would not to MOS.

They should 100% not play MOS at glasto. At all. I love the song, but it shouldn't be played there.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 03:33:59 AM »
it should be played at glasto. it makes for a fitting end of a show. why do people think that the glasto crowd won't like the sombre tone of the song? i think you may find glastonbury contains some of the most morose and taciturn people on the planet, so mos should be right up their street!

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
Go on, tell U2 what to do : they haven't got the slightest clue how to put on a good show...

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 12:30:59 AM »
Go on, tell U2 what to do : they haven't got the slightest clue how to put on a good show...

:D :D :D :D

Mind you I'd like to see the conversation around being Green with Michael Eavis - that would be far more entertaining!

I love the thought of 40 - but thats coz I'm an old fart!

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »

X10000000000!!!!!

Why do people start threads like this?? It pisses me off to no end...
Like I said before, with "fans" like this who needs bloodthirsty critics??

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 09:43:43 AM »

X10000000000!!!!!

So every discussion here should be: "it doesn't matter what WE think it's U2, it's perfect" ?

Lots of boring threads ahead.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »

X10000000000!!!!!

So every discussion here should be: "it doesn't matter what WE think it's U2, it's perfect" ?

Lots of boring threads ahead.

Starting an online petition is going quite far though! They're not knocking down a children's hospital or anything :P

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2010, 10:34:52 AM »

My sentiments about many U2 critics on this forum.  "Do this, do that, make this, make that, do it like this, don't do it like that."  They're only the greatest rock band in the world but the bunch of idiots need advice on how to progress. ::)

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »

My sentiments about many U2 critics on this forum.  "Do this, do that, make this, make that, do it like this, don't do it like that."  They're only the greatest rock band in the world but the bunch of idiots need advice on how to progress. ::)

U2 is like General Foods, GE, Samsung. They're too huge to pay attention to any silly online petition, a handful of people on @u2, a few hundred people on interference, etc.

The fun is in the discussion, expressing opinions on what we think would things better, what we'd like to see, opinions of the new material, etc.

Hardly the same as giving them "advice".