Author Topic: My Venue Fun Facts  (Read 5787 times)

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: My Venue Fun Facts
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »
New Meadowlands Stadium in NY/NJ opens with Bon Jovi and then U2.  Stadium cost 1.4 billion dollars and the entire Stadium will change colors based on which team is playing..even the turf.

Offline Lady B

• Refugee
  • Cool down mama..........cool off
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »
Anyone else have any venue fun facts to share?

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 06:21:02 AM »
Well, the venue in the Montreal hippodrome will be built only for the two U2 concerts !!

That makes it all more awesome, 80 000 people outdoors in a purpose built stadium, jumping, singing and dancing to the music !

Only downside is that traffic will be a nightmare going there...

mariamontreal

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 11:52:24 AM »
It is highly recommended to use public transportation those 2 nights being off Decarie Blvd which runs North to South will be very congested. Can't wait 2 nights of pure magic!

Offline Sparroww

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 10:31:07 PM »
So excited! The first two posts in the thread are for the shows I get to go to - so excited!  Thanks for the info. It looks like there will be great pre- and post- concert activities in Seattle, but what is there to do in SLC? 
 And Boy, that's a nice avi you've got there...  :)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 10:32:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
but what is there to do in SLC? 

Maybe check out some of the remains of the Oympic Village.  And I think there is an Olympic Museam thing in SLC too

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 07:10:41 AM »
It is highly recommended to use public transportation those 2 nights being off Decarie Blvd which runs North to South will be very congested. Can't wait 2 nights of pure magic!

I'll probably be there early in the morning anyway  ;D

Offline Boy83

• Stateless
  • My Blue Room
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 09:38:49 AM »
There are a few sites to go see, downtown has a couple, the "red butte garden" or park whatever it's called is around there... Downtown you have Galivan Plaza but I'm not sure if there will be anything going on around there... Sometimes they have little stands and concerts even. There are som more historic/religious sites like temple square, or the gateway which is just an outside mall. There used to be a pretty cool virgin records store but that's gone unfortunately.

The cool thing about moving around SLC is that there's a "trax" station on the stadium parking lot and it will take you to the heart of down town SLC in less than 10 minutes including stops. and a 2 way pass is like 3 bucks, or you can play it risky and just get on it! LOL

There are a couple of bars open at night, i've heard they're ok but to be honest i've never been... I guess it kind'a depends on what you're in to or wanting to see.

I'll have to think about it a little more.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:16:38 AM by Boy83 »

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 06:49:51 PM »
I'd love some info on the Philly venue.  Never been there, I have club section seats and have no idea what that even means, considering they were pretty expensive, I'm hoping they're good.  From what I do understand the venue is nowhere near the Philly tourist attractions, Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks, etc.  Any info wold be appreciated!

Offline Boy83

• Stateless
  • My Blue Room
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
need some help! I took some pics of rice ecles stadium from the sidewalk to show you guys how much you can see from just standing on the sidewalk... But I can't upload them and I don't have "photobucket" or facebook... how can I upload them?? They're too big to upload here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:55:31 AM by Boy83 »

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 05:34:33 AM »
Somebody other than me would probably be able to give you better advice about uploading photos, but here's my 2 cents - I never had a photobucket account till I wanted to post pics here, and it's free to get one and pretty easy to use. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:39:37 AM by lorijane »

Offline u2bono269

• Babyface
  • @atU2 Tours Staffer
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
i'm from philly and will be attending the show...hopefully.  Our first child is due right around that time so who knows if I'll get to go.

Lincoln Financial Field is in the warehouse section of South Philly...while there's not much to do there is a lovely Dunkin Donuts a mile from the stadium complex that serves some really top-notch donuts and coffee.  Not to mention the strip club right across the street from it. 

Actually, the hoppin' cheesesteak district isn't really that bad of a drive.  Passyunk's only a 15-20 minute commute from the stadium complex (which, btw, is one of the coolest sports complexes in the country IMO...you've got all 4 major sports RIGHT THERE!  Citizen's Bank Park is a thing of beauty, even from the sidewalks).  So if you're driving from out of town, it's not going to be really all that difficult to hit the center city hotspots and then just hop on 95 and ride it down to the complex exit on Broad.  Or take the broad street line. 

As for the football stadium the show will be in, personally I've found it to be a little cold and sterile.  Saw Springsteen in the rafters, and when you're really high the wind can really knock the sound down.  In the club level though you'll be ok.  Parking's a rip, but not nearly as bad as the $25 I had to pay at Giants Stadium. 

anyway if you want anything more specific just ask.  i've spent more money in that complex than i care to count.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »
i'm from philly and will be attending the show...hopefully.  Our first child is due right around that time so who knows if I'll get to go.

Lincoln Financial Field is in the warehouse section of South Philly...while there's not much to do there is a lovely Dunkin Donuts a mile from the stadium complex that serves some really top-notch donuts and coffee.  Not to mention the strip club right across the street from it. 

Actually, the hoppin' cheesesteak district isn't really that bad of a drive.  Passyunk's only a 15-20 minute commute from the stadium complex (which, btw, is one of the coolest sports complexes in the country IMO...you've got all 4 major sports RIGHT THERE!  Citizen's Bank Park is a thing of beauty, even from the sidewalks).  So if you're driving from out of town, it's not going to be really all that difficult to hit the center city hotspots and then just hop on 95 and ride it down to the complex exit on Broad.  Or take the broad street line. 

As for the football stadium the show will be in, personally I've found it to be a little cold and sterile.  Saw Springsteen in the rafters, and when you're really high the wind can really knock the sound down.  In the club level though you'll be ok.  Parking's a rip, but not nearly as bad as the $25 I had to pay at Giants Stadium. 

anyway if you want anything more specific just ask.  i've spent more money in that complex than i care to count.

Thanks u2bono269!  I appreciate all the helpful info.  I'd like to spend some time in Philly "proper" before the show.  I'm curious about the club section of the stadium.  How far up are they?  I also understand the club seats have access to a private bar, is that correct?  Thanks again!

Offline u2bono269

• Babyface
  • @atU2 Tours Staffer
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
Club Seats are sandwiched in between the lower level and the mezzanine level.  They have bigger seats and I think the seats have cushions.  They don't really have a private bar per se, but they do have a variety of lounges that only people with club seats can enter.  Which I guess is pretty private but the lounges are still open to a lot of people.  They're not like the suite's bars, because those really are private just for the 20 people who are sitting there.  I had club seats myself, but i traded them for GA tickets so I could spend the day with my friends. 

If you want to do touristy things, it would be a good idea to park in the Penn's Landing area near South Street and just hit all the stuff there, huge hit with the visiting crowd (I like it too, I admit).  Pat's and Geno's is a shortish cab ride from there.  But you can hit all kinds of bars, restaurants and generally crazy stuff in the South Street area.  If you do a day-trip, you can easily walk between the South Street area and the historical Independence Hall/Liberty Bell/Christ Church/Ben Franklin area...if you happen to find yourself in that area there's a cheesesteak place called Campo's that I like.  It's on Market & 2nd.  But honestly if you havent done the philly cheesesteak before you owe it to yourself to go to Pat's and/or Geno's, just because it's what you should do.  They're not the best, but you can't beat the experience. 

Sadly whenever I'm actually out and about in the city I'm usually drunk and with friends so I never really know where I was lol.  Overall it's a pretty great city, IMO.  I grew up in the northeast, lived in bensalem for a long time but now I live in Central Bucks county, so I'm pretty far from the city at the moment.  i do miss it.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
Philly is a great city!