Author Topic: The official U2 Vs. COLPLAY thread  (Read 42150 times)

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
The official U2 Vs. COLPLAY thread
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:34:47 AM »
Ok, apparently there's a lot to be said, so maybe we should stop doing this off topic on other threads.

I'll start :

I like Coldplay. In fact when I first saw them live I thought they were the "new U2" or something like that, like most people did at the time (rush of blood tour).

Anyway, since then with 2 more albums, I've seen them doing a very bad under-rehearsed concert (beginning of X&Y tour) and I just can't get into their last effort. To me it's them them trying to be something they're not : an innovative band, that is.

And the fact that they called Eno for help tells a lot about the fact that they have no clue.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're a great band but, like most artists, they don't have that many faces U2 seem to have.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: The official U2 Vs. COLPLAY thread
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:35:36 AM »
U2. Chris Martin can't deliver the songs the same way Bono can.

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:43:58 AM »
I loved "Yellow" when it was first released and have downloaded a few other singles for my ipod, including Lost and Lovers in Japan from the latest album. I can't put my finger on it though, but I just don't "get" their albums. I bought X&Y for Fix You and Speed of Sound, but rarely listen to it in its entirety. It just doesn't compel me the way many other bands do.

For me its U2 by a long shot. 

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:58:20 AM »
I thought Viva La Vida was a good song, but the other singles are quite boring to me. Especially Life in Technicolour, which to me is a blatant U2 rip-off anyway. X & Y was quite uncompelling for me, the lyrics especially were completely uninspired. I did like some of their earlier stuff, my favourite of theirs is probably The Scientist. Coldplay will have to be huge for another 15 years before they can even be mentioned in the same breath as U2.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:16 AM »
I like both but U2 wins obviously.

I liked viva la vida when I first heard.
I tried to work the song out, but it got boring after that.

Mal

Yellows alright though.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:00:38 AM »
Coldplay is full of mid-tempo drivel that can put a baby to sleep.  U2 can rock.

Cheers,

J

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 06:03:18 AM »
If i loved Coldplay I would be on their forum but I am here, does that answer the question?

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:18:11 AM »
Personally.. I can't stand Coldplay & I never have. They're such U2 rip-offs I can't believe any of you would give them a chance. Coldplay isn't worthy to mop the stage U2 performs on. >:(

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:48:54 AM »
Agreed, apart from the point that they rip off u2 which i find ludicrous... coldplay are just a bland pop band with the charisma of a door stop, which is what i use there old Cd's for by the way.
they haven't got the music, the lyrics, the vocals or anything resembling u2's talent. lets see where coldplay are in 30 years. lets just hope they put some of there money away now while it lasts!
coldplay vs u2...give me a ******* break

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:11:19 AM »
I'm guessing you are all going to murderfy me because I'm seeing them in Wembley  :P

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »
No nielsen ;) haven't got a problem with people liking coldplay just people who compare them to u2 which i find a joke.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:34:28 AM by kale »

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 09:48:12 AM »
To second the note about Coldplay being down trodden and solemn all the time. My wife was giving birth to our daughter and she wanted something soothing and melow to listen to. I said what about joshua tree, she said no just give me anything by Colplay, even the fastest song they've got will be melow and relaxed. then she said "let's face it honey they're experimental elevator music but not a rock band."

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:11:38 AM »
Exactly, its like trying to compare the Beatles to the Monkeys.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:01:49 AM by kale »

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »
And i think it was the Q interview with bono,when asked are the any contenders to take over your reign as the best band in the world and he replied...."who wants it?...the killers?...kings of leon?".
to any intellectual mind, coldplay doesn't even come into the equation and never will.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:25:01 PM by kale »

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 10:42:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm guessing you are all going to murderfy me because I'm seeing them in Wembley  :P

No, good for you !

I only opened this thread because a few other threads were being hi-jacked but it's ok to like...whatever music you like.

To be honest, when we went to the ultra sound with my wife and were told we were going to have a baby girl, the only thing that I had in mind was "What If" by Coldplay.

Come on, Coldplay fans, get out of the closet !