Author Topic: The official U2 Vs. COLPLAY thread  (Read 42194 times)

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
Re: The official U2 Vs. COLPLAY thread
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 07:28:02 PM »
Look, U2 has been the biggest band in the world on multiple occasions and have had the amazing ability to reinvent themselves, to stay credible, and to keep making good music 30 years later.

Coldplay has been around for less than 10 years at this point and they have only released four albums.  It's not really fair to say that Coldplay hasn't had the lasting power or been as creative considering the difference in time periods.

U2 was the biggest band in the world and most people think at their peak with three different ablums.  The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and All That You Can't Leave Behind.  Their fifth, seventh, and tenth studio albums.  Coldplay has yet to get to their fifth album.  We don't know where Coldplay will go or what they will do.  But Viva la Vida is a great album, as was A Rush of Blood to the Head, and I have high hopes that they will continue to make great music.

Will Coldplay surpass U2, I doubt it and considering this is a U2 fan forum, most of the people here think not.  But to be fair, most of the people here probably think U2 is the greatest band of all-time and nobody will surpass them.  

Is Coldplay influenced by U2?  Obviously.  So what?  No band has no influences, and there is no musician that isn't a fan of some other musician.  Is Coldplay a lesser band for being influenced by U2, no.  I would think U2 fans would think Coldplay is a better band for being influenced by U2.

Coldplay is on a different trajectory than U2.  They got much bigger at a much earlier point in their career than U2 and so when one of their first three albums was a disappointment and didn't really move the band forward that is made more to judge them negatively when U2 had the same thing happen with October.

Overall U2 is better, though I think unless Horizon ends up being more groundbreaking than the lead single lets on, Coldplay will have surpassed U2 on the current music landscape.  And that's not really a big deal considering most bands are gone at the point in the career U2 is at, U2 should be slowing down at this point.

Will I ever think Coldplay is better than U2?  No, but I won't ever think any band is better than U2, so it's a mute point.

Quickly about Radiohead, I think they are better than Coldplay but they aren't bigger than Coldplay and haven't had much interest in being the biggest band like U2 and now Coldplay have showed.  I truthfully think Radiohead has been consistently better than U2 in the past 12 years or so.  Pop/ATYCLB/HTDAAB isn't on the same level to me as OK Computer/Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTT (not counting In Rainbows until it can be compared to Horizon).  But at the same time, while I think the Radiohead albums are better, I still listen to the U2 albums more because U2 speaks to my heart more.  I guess like it's like being married to the perfect woman who you love with all your heart, you may see another woman who looks as beautiful and maybe even more beautiful but you still could never be swayed.

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:44 PM »
Boy = Parachutes
October < A Rush Of Blood To The Head
War < X&Y
The Unforgettable Fire > Viva La Vida

Before saying anything else, U2 is my absolute standout favorite.

Now, Coldplay is either my second or third favorite band (it's flirting with Boston and Goo Goo Dolls, and I think it's slightly ahead)

In my opinion, and to the opposite of many U2/coldplay fans, X&Y is my favorite album that comes together as a whole.  I think it comes together more so then any other album I've ever listened to, even more then any U2 album.  That said, U2 has better, more powerful individual songs, which is what I look for in a band.  U2 has bigger highs and lows while Coldplay stays in a comfortable ranger, though Viva slightly broke this mold. 

Yes, U2 has more spirit I guess, such as in songs like Bullet the Blue Sky, Love & Peace Or Else, Love Is Blindness- but I don't particularly like those songs and therefore most of what Coldplay does appeals highly to me.  It's just about personal opinion in the long shot so, I think we can say, as a U2 fansite, that-

U2 is better then Coldplay right now...

(And yet, I awesomely love Coldplay..wish I could go see them in concert.)

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Coldplay are actually planning to release an album this year...

I agree though Viva La Vida, Violet Hill, Lovers In Japan, Lost! and Life In Technicolor are all leagues better then "Boots". The albums as a whole...well lets wait for March 3rd. Then I'll give you an opinion from a fan of both.

In Rainbows winning would be laughable. Viva La Vida has it for sure...they owe Coldplay Grammys from A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

Kings of Leon are under recognized by the Grammys...

the Grammys are a strange animal and certainly have their favourites. Which U2 happens to be a big one. Acts that are slightly contraversal are immediately given no recognition at all.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
Colplay's four albums have been the same sort of quality as U2's last four. However U2 had already made seven albums prior to that, along with some great film scores, a cinema movie and greatest hits packages. U2 are also considered one of the greatest live bands ever and their 'Live Aid' show is perhaps the most famous live performance ever. Coldplay will never be as big as U2 were in the late 80's and are not considered a great live band. They have already hinted at splitting up soon so will never produce the body of work U2 have.

Onto the here and now. I love 'Coldplay's latest. Whether 'No line' will be as good, we'll have to wait and see.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
'In Rainbows' is even more impressive than Coldplay's latest. However it came out in 2007 so won't be in contention for a 2009 grammy.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 09:43:51 PM »
As much as Coldplay wants to be U2, they'll never have a "Mofo" or "The Fly".

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »
Will U2 ever have a "Clocks"?

Boom Cha!

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 09:48:54 PM »
Will U2 ever have a "Clocks"?

No, U2's not trying to be the next Coldplay.  :P

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »
Just as The Killers can not touch the U2 of the past, the U2 of the present (Vertigo and beyond) can't touch (but heres to hoping they do) the Killers today.  Its hard for me to admit this, as I have lived most of my life with a single .mp3 CD of U2s Discography in my car... The Killers material is just more fresh, dynamic, and spontanious then what U2 puts out these days.  This is as it should be since U2 has been around for oh ~30 years.  The first 2 Killers albums are probably some of the best albums ever made, amazing that a band these days can put out albums that one can listen to from start to finish.  I just hope the public is smart enough to catch on or they will backlash against them like they did to U2 with Pop.  There is only so much someone has to say and I am beginning to think that Bono is losing touch :) . Coldplay is are pretty good to... but they don't make whole albums, and Chris Martin sweats Bono so bad its sad, even mimicing his stage antics... at least Brandon does his thing.

We need a The Killers v Kings of Leon v ColdPlay v U2 thread. ;D

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »
I've got the Killers latest. It's not in the same class as U2, Coldplay, Radiohead etc.

luieu2

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:54 PM »
I've got the Killers latest. It's not in the same class as U2, Coldplay, Radiohead etc.
i agree to me theres only 4 good songs on it

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »
This is my first post.  I've never seen U2 live, but I know they will be better than Coldplay already.  Went to see Coldplay in 2003 when The Music opened for them, and The Music blew them off the stage, they were boring as hell.  I'm so bored of Chris Martin, at least Bono is wildly unpredictable and I like it :)

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 10:50:44 PM »
Interesting show on MAX at the moment ColdPlay v Radiohead - Both of their top 13 songs.

Realistically it just shows what superb bands they both are.

Maybe it is ColdPlay v Radiohead for biggest band in the world.

I am loving "God put a Smile on Your Face" vrs "Paranoid Android".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:56:49 PM by Bono in Bonolands »

Offline the Edge Gotto

• Elevated
  • U2, Peter Gabriel, and Genesis shall dominate
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2009, 11:13:57 PM »
Interesting show on MAX at the moment ColdPlay v Radiohead - Both of their top 13 songs.

Realistically it just shows what superb bands they both are.

Maybe it is ColdPlay v Radiohead for biggest band in the world.

I am loving "God put a Smile on Your Face" vrs "Paranoid Android".

No. U2 is a much bigger and better band than Coldplay or Radiohead.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2009, 11:18:17 PM »
What is with these comparisons? So annoying.

You can't compare Radiohead to U2 let alone Coldplay and The Killers.

Why are Radiohead compared to U2? What is so good about them? I don't understand? I DEMAND IMMEDIATE ANSWERS!

Plus i've always thought Idioteque was meant to be a parody of Discotheque.  :-[