Author Topic: The official U2 Vs. COLPLAY thread  (Read 42162 times)

Offline LarsO

• Wanderer
Re: The official U2 Vs. COLPLAY thread
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 04:26:06 AM »
To me Coldplay is a proof that music is more than facts and theory. They have catchy melodies, a unique sounding vocalist, a organic and still hi tech sound, cool album covers (like Rush of blood and Viva), but I simply just don't believe in what they give me.. it doesn't move me at all. It's a bit like a person trying to tell you some deep personal stuff and you start thinking about what to make for dinner or the bus hours.

In many ways they have what U2 have in theory but not in personality and soul.. wich to me makes the WHOLE difference.

And to answer what is it with Radiohead? I don't know, really... and that's what makes music so cool. It's a bit like with Neil Young. You sense that they do just what they want - and you believe that they don't do that just to show that they can do what they want. Understand? With Coldplay I always think: Oh, here they have decided to make a dark sounding song to get some extra cred...

Offline melbourne85

• Babyface
Re: The official U2 Vs. COLDPLAY thread
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 04:26:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like Coldplay a lot, but they don't hold a candle to U2. Viva La Vida is a great album, but let's see what else they've done 10 years from now.

On this note, does the line from Violet Hill "It was a long and dark December, when the banks became cathedrals" sound familiar to anyone?

Leaves a bitter citrus taste in my mouth too.

On another note, Coldplay would be so much easier to like if 1. they had some style. 2. Chris Martin wassn't such a try-hard. 3. Chris Martin didn't look so much like and English cricketer.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 04:27:42 AM »
I wonder if ColdPlay have heard the new U2 album in advance.

Btw, If Bono is so cool, why didn't Bono do an episode of Extras.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 04:30:52 AM »
To me Coldplay is a proof that music is more than facts and theory. They have catchy melodies, a unique sounding vocalist, a organic and still hi tech sound, cool album covers (like Rush of blood and Viva), but I simply just don't believe in what they give me.. it doesn't move me at all. It's a bit like a person trying to tell you some deep personal stuff and you start thinking about what to make for dinner or the bus hours.

In many ways they have what U2 have in theory but not in personality and soul.. wich to me makes the WHOLE difference.

I would have to agree, its music that aims to be emotional and to reach out to the heart but it simply doesn't. Only U2 can do that time after time.

Offline Boy,stupid_boy

• Stateless
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »
Will U2 ever have a "Clocks"?

Are you being serious?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:31:42 AM by Joe90usa »

Offline Dark Angel

• Oh HAI
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »
I wonder if ColdPlay have heard the new U2 album in advance.

Btw, If Bono is so cool, why didn't Bono do an episode of Extras.

They couldn't pay him enough *runs and hids*

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »
3. Chris Martin didn't look so much like and English cricketer.

;D

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »
3. Chris Martin didn't look so much like and English cricketer.

;D

Chris Martin needs to go and live in the Maldives as he looks a lot better with a sun tan.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 02:53:48 PM »
I also take the chance to ask whether Eno and Lanois can be fired... Eno's work on Coldplay's was awful and I think he's brought something from that to U2...

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »
He better not have.

Lanois will make up for it anyway.

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »
I also take the chance to ask whether Eno and Lanois can be fired... Eno's work on Coldplay's was awful and I think he's brought something from that to U2...
To be fare he didn't have a lot to work with with coldplay, just a few scribbles of the same old melancholy moaning claptrap from the pen of Chris martin and  one or two pings of the triangle from the rest of the band.

You cant make a diamond out of piece of coal!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:41:25 PM by kale »

• Numb
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 03:22:25 PM »
Funny, the ColdPlay Album will win Grammy for Album of the Year and Eno will win Grammy for producer of the Year.

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2009, 03:25:59 PM »
What is with these comparisons? So annoying.

You can't compare Radiohead to U2 let alone Coldplay and The Killers.

Why are Radiohead compared to U2? What is so good about them? I don't understand? I DEMAND IMMEDIATE ANSWERS!

Plus i've always thought Idioteque was meant to be a parody of Discotheque.  :-[

I don't get why Radiohead is compared to U2 either. It's never made any sense to me.. but you see it on message boards & stuff all the time. Radiohead has been around for more than 20 years now, but if I remember right.. they didn't get a major record deal until the early 90s. Creep did really well in the U.S., but that was about it.

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »
You know you were a U2 kid if:

You have worn/have dated someone who wore a righteous mullet. You still don’t see any problem with that.
You were once moved to pick a random old lady out of a crowded bus stop and spontaneously slow danced with her while everyone watched.

You know you were an R.E.M. kid if:

There are photos of you wearing a tweed overcoat three sizes too big along with a thrifted flower-adorned ladies’ hat.
You ate so much baked tofu as a teenager you still feel fundamentally malnourished.
You used to draw elaborate pointalist sketches of two headed cows in your Mead notebook.
You still wonder if Michael Stipe and Natalie Merchant could have found happiness together.

In reading the comments most of the REM fans have a way to disect and discuss the importance of both bands on merit and songs. Most of the U2 comments seem as though they are just fans, those that listen to something because it is popular or has a good beat (as they used to say on American Bandstand). REM made great inspired songs on many of their albums, ones you can listen to and find something of yourself in them. U2 made great albums that made you want to listen and enjoy. You might not find something to relate to but something that just made you want to listen. REM seems to create what they feel at the time, where as U2 creates what they feel will sell. Both have sold millions of albums and have loyal fans. The story alone shows the importance and influence of both bands.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 03:38:33 PM »
Funny, the ColdPlay Album will win Grammy for Album of the Year and Eno will win Grammy for producer of the Year.

So?¿?¿?

In Spain the Grammy's are considered the kind of prizes given to mediocre musicians like Mariah Carey or Beyoncé...