Author Topic: The official U2 Vs. COLPLAY thread  (Read 42191 times)

Offline markinnl

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man like Edge needs a handicam
Re: The official U2 Vs. COLPLAY thread
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
I was watching rattle & hum last night & it reminded me of how powerful "bad" is.  then i thought Bono was only ~24yrs old when he wrote that song.. simply amazing!!  I don't think coldplay has yet written a song that powerful. (in my opinion)

Also u2's fourth album and first reinvention came four years into their pro career,  coldplay is in year nine.

I see a few parallels btwn Unforgettable Fire and Viva La Vida in that both have strong songs but some clunkers keep it from being a perfect album. clunker may be a strong term.

I think I'm in the minority since I much prefer X&Y to the new album.

Offline WITS

• Babyface
  • So love is big, Is bigger than us...
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »
I don't know how much this has been discussed as I have not read all of the previous posts, but for me one thing that sets U2's best work above anything that Coldplay has yet to produce is the level of insight and lyrical depth. Songs such as Please, In God's Country and One (to name but a few) pair profound insights into the human condition with great instrumental performances. Much of U2's catalogue contains lyrical depth that continues to reward the inquisitive listener with fresh insights over time. In contrast, Coldplay's current popularity seems to rest upon the generality and mass accessibility of their lyrics which are overwhelmingly inwardly focused while continuing to cover the same thematic territory - relationships, banal descriptions of existential angst and of course, angst about relationships. While Coldplay is clearly an enjoyable listen for many - including myself - their lyrics, which are arguably designed to connect with a broad audience at a surface level do not offer the same promise for a repeat listener.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Luke Pritchard, frontman with The Kooks has stepped-up to praise Coldplay, even declaring them as the "best band in the world".

"Coldplay are the best band in the world and the single 'Violet Hill' is pure genius, simple as that", Pritchard told the Daily Star.

"I can't believe that they're getting a hard time. It's weird. How can people undermine them? To me Cold­play are other-worldly. People diss it because it's popular. Well, whatever. Say that when it sells millions of albums. Coldplay aren't a short-term thing."

The Kooks man also went on to say, "I've often wondered what it would have been like to see David Bowie in his Space Oddity days and even though it's not as shocking, Coldplay have got a similar thing going on."

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:05:12 PM by Bono in Bonolands »

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »
Luke Pritchard, [is] frontman with The Kooks

...who have now made a totally undeserved appearance in this debate. As has the Daily Star.

• Numb
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »
Humble COLDPLAY star CHRIS MARTIN insists his band is the best on the world because U2 and GREEN DAY are on vacation.
The British singer/songwriter admits his group will slip down the list of great bands once U2 and Green Day return with new albums in 2009.
Martin says, "The reason we're the biggest band in the world at the moment is because the others are on holiday. That's how you get your breaks. That's how the understudy gets his opportunity.

"While U2 and Green Day are away, we've gotten to make the most of it."

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »
Humble COLDPLAY star CHRIS MARTIN insists his band is the best on the world because U2 and GREEN DAY are on vacation.
The British singer/songwriter admits his group will slip down the list of great bands once U2 and Green Day return with new albums in 2009.
Martin says, "The reason we're the biggest band in the world at the moment is because the others are on holiday. That's how you get your breaks. That's how the understudy gets his opportunity.

"While U2 and Green Day are away, we've gotten to make the most of it."

Chris Martin is a wuss. He always says sh** like "We admire U2, Depeche Mode etc. we are not better than them" which I agree with, but it makes him sound like a wimp with little confidence.

I think they're better than Green Day though. Also lol at the Kooks frontman comparing Coldplay to Space Oddity era Bowie.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
Comparing Coldplay & U2 is like comparing Donovan to Dylan, the true heirs to the throne are Arcade Fire - if they want it. Just my opinion, i respect Coldplay but its a bit watered down for me, theres no venom there, its like having tea with the vicar,  four posh boys making consumer friendly rock, nice songs and all but nothing that makes you feel it in your guts, also the singer sounds like a sheep.
Green Day suck, Kings Of Leon are pretty good - "Sex On Fire' is awesome, Killers are like nats on a camping trip, Fleet Foxes are great, as are TV On The Radio!
But U2 are back and every other band on the planet are standing by with a notebook and pen, ready to learn from and be humbled by - their makers. ;D ;D ;D

Apologies for saying Green Day suck, obviously they dont - I just highly dislike whiny nasal deliveries from singers, if I was 14 again I might like it, but Im a maaaaaaaan im not a child.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:45:32 PM by Bads316 »

Offline LaughingGas

• Refugee
  • "Your face pressed up against the glass"
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2009, 08:04:48 PM »
Lets be honest here: I would prefer Coldplay over the current garbage on the radio. Sure he too, can morph into a 1/2 Bono but at least he sings about things that channel emotions. (Prepares to take a beating) Coldplay have potential to take me somewhere emotionally like U2 has done now and before - in fact throughout the U2 drought I've been listening to Coldplay a lot because there isn't another antidote out there for today's senseless music.

Nielsen, I enjoy your posts tremendously.  You speak very wise words for being so young.  Keep it up.   ;D

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2009, 08:15:41 PM »
There exists a thin crack between the supersized pomp of U2's musical vision and Coldplay's challenge to Bono and the boys' 25-year-old-legacy. A fine place if you can find it, as it affords a lucid 360 degree view of commercial gold. Snow Patrol are now firmly occupying this position with their fifth release 'A Hundred Million Suns'. Lucky sods!

The band was loosely bundled with Keane, Athlete and The Doves as a British offensive to the American emo advocates like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy. But now, Snow Patrol are cutting away from the pack and climbing faster than you can recall an album title of their above–mentioned peers.

Snow Patrol have done their share of hard work. They have released an album of songs with no forseeable expiry date and are sounding totally confident of blowing those other ‘dinosaurs’ off the stage. One more like this one will surely nail their ascending star to one of the hundred million orbiting Suns.

• Numb
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2009, 09:30:37 PM »
Some funny stuff.

look how the stars shine for you!

Arc toungue baby!

I am going to give you this ass kicking, pro bono!

5 stars *****
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:35:13 PM by Bono in Bonolands »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2009, 09:51:04 PM »

Luke Pritchard, frontman with The Kooks has stepped-up to praise Coldplay, even declaring them as the "best band in the world".

"Coldplay are the best band in the world and the single 'Violet Hill' is pure genius, simple as that", Pritchard told the Daily Star.

"I can't believe that they're getting a hard time. It's weird. How can people undermine them? To me Cold­play are other-worldly. People diss it because it's popular. Well, whatever. Say that when it sells millions of albums. Coldplay aren't a short-term thing."

The Kooks man also went on to say, "I've often wondered what it would have been like to see David Bowie in his Space Oddity days and even though it's not as shocking, Coldplay have got a similar thing going on."

Aren't the Kooks some bland pop band?  ???

• Numb
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2009, 11:01:41 PM »
The Kooks are an English indie rock band from Brighton, formed in 2004. They have released two studio albums – their 2006 debut Inside In/Inside Out peaked at number two on the UK Albums Chart, and their 2008 follow up Konk hit number one.

Among the band's honours are a nomination for Best New Act at the 2006 Q Awards and the award for Best UK and Ireland Act at the 2006 MTV Europe Music Awards and had one nomination at The BRIT Awards and a shortlist nomination. Some say they are the next bg thing of British music. Certainly they are fresh and new.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »
Yeah I know, I know. I've heard of them and heard them. In my opinion they are boring.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »
Lets be honest here: I would prefer Coldplay over the current garbage on the radio. Sure he too, can morph into a 1/2 Bono but at least he sings about things that channel emotions. (Prepares to take a beating) Coldplay have potential to take me somewhere emotionally like U2 has done now and before - in fact throughout the U2 drought I've been listening to Coldplay a lot because there isn't another antidote out there for today's senseless music.

Nielsen, I enjoy your posts tremendously.  You speak very wise words for being so young.  Keep it up.   ;D

I am aspiring to be a journalist  :)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2009, 12:05:49 AM »

I am aspiring to be a journalist  :)

Hey that's what I wanna be... *shakes fist*

Well maybe not.