Author Topic: Ever try to "persuade" non-U2 family members/friends to listen to U2?  (Read 6261 times)

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
Re: Ever try to "persuade" non-U2 family members/friends to listen to U2?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 05:13:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was so sad today :'(
My friend who I thought I got to like U2.. informed me over twitter she deleted every song off the list I gave her
but Crazy Tonight.

heartbreaking.
wow I can so relate to that. I'd be devastated :'(

thanks dudette!
he always denies it though ::)

:D Yeah... :P don't deny the U2! It's the best!

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 05:15:37 AM »
he's starting to deny it less coz he really can't when he talks about them as much as he does :D :D

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 06:16:49 AM »
I don't bother trying to convert people to U2 or any other band/artist. If I'm playing music when people are around and they're curious about it, I let 'em know what's up.

That's about it.

#@!

Yep totally agree with this. Having someone try to convert me to anything annoys the shi'ite out of me. So yeah... if someone asks (they have) I'll happily tell em or make some recommendations or anything.

But as someone who's tried to be 'saved' a couple of times both by door knocking crazy-ar*e bible-carrying folk (no no no, not suggesting religious folk are 'crazy', but this lot DEFINITELY were  ;D), and by 'friends' doing the same, I try to kind of steer clear of the 'persuading' or 'intense recommendation' type approach  :D :D :D

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 06:20:52 AM »
 :D :D :D that's what we're SUPPOSED to do, but I can't help it! :D

Offline SBMitch

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Somebody stepped inside your soul
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 06:31:29 AM »
Quite a mix of answers! Of course we're not going to shove it down their throats and be annoying and alienate people, that would be uncool. So I see some success, some failure aka normal life.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 06:34:05 AM »
Quite a mix of answers! Of course we're not going to shove it down their throats and be annoying and alienate people, that would be uncool.

Definitely.

Yet still cooler than being a Nickelback fan  :D

Offline Boy83

• Stateless
  • My Blue Room
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 08:54:18 AM »
My wife can only take so much because I listen to it so often... Plus her sister played it too while she was groing up.... I can't "shove" it on her any more...

But my brother on the other hand when he was like 12 I let him use my cd's and he used to "like" motley crue, and him listening to U2 changed him around, no being all grown up has a terrific taste in music. so that was some sort of success. :)

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »
I am not embarrassed to admit - but only because I'm writing on a U2 fan site - that I made my sister an 8-week syllabus after she mentioned, "I like U2, but I don't know that much about them."  Each week I would send her certain videos on a given theme (the band's origins, social justice songs, etc) with notes and details and quotations from various sources.  I kid you not.  U2 101, I called it.  She has yet to attend a gig, but she does respect U2.

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
  • U2 has disappointed me. My entire collection 4sale
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
I am not embarrassed to admit - but only because I'm writing on a U2 fan site - that I made my sister an 8-week syllabus after she mentioned, "I like U2, but I don't know that much about them."  Each week I would send her certain videos on a given theme (the band's origins, social justice songs, etc) with notes and details and quotations from various sources.  I kid you not.  U2 101, I called it.  She has yet to attend a gig, but she does respect U2.

LOL, efdeat, you would - a syllabus - how funny!  I've done similar things, basically bribing people to watch DVDs by buying them on eBay and sending them directly to the person without even asking.  I'll bet you could publish your U2 101 syllabus!  Some Ph.Ds have done their dissertation on one aspect or another of U2, and they've turned them into books.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »
My friend who I thought I got to like U2.. informed me over twitter she deleted every song off the list I gave her
but Crazy Tonight.

heartbreaking.

That has to suck.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »
My nephew and my husband. 

I played the Elevation Boston show for my nephew when it first came out.   He was hooked.  Now he's been with me for 3 live shows and it will be 4 in July.  We also just had ourselves a U2 weekend in his basement home theatre.  Awsome to see the lads on a 5 ft. screen.

I talked my husband into the NYC Vertigo show.  Yeah, that did the trick.  He's with me at live shows too!

I'm working on the rest of the family.  My sister, her husband and their daughter will be attending the Philly show with us.  **fingers crossed**.

TyraRay, that is heartbreaking.  What led to her decision anyway?

Offline SBMitch

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Somebody stepped inside your soul
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »

Lol-I couldo so use that for violin teacher!

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
  • U2 has disappointed me. My entire collection 4sale
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 04:21:49 PM »
but Crazy Tonight.

heartbreaking.

That has to suck.
Yeah, we don't like her! 

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »
Yes,  my sons! FAILURE. The older one won't bother at all and the younger one was singing Vertigo till my husband poisoned him  with Springsteen. Now he sings Radio Nowhere  >:(  But they do wear U2 t shirts and they do love Johnny Cash  ;D  Oh they are 6 and 11 years old.

Offline u2fannewyorkinok

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rut Roh!
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »
I gave copies of NLOTH to the two friends who were coming to the concert with me.  Both seem to have semi-converted. The one I drove with still has the CD in his player. Everytime he turns it on, there they are.  My other friend turned to me during the concert and said "I didn't know they were so political". I was nice-I didn't laugh (out loud).