Author Topic: Ever try to "persuade" non-U2 family members/friends to listen to U2?  (Read 6262 times)

Offline HarlemsAngel94

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • How much air will I Needtobreathe?
Re: Ever try to "persuade" non-U2 family members/friends to listen to U2?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »
Well my friend that I'm in a band with has bugged me for a long time to listen to country, so I bugged him to start listening to U2 and I even got him to learn One and Stuck In A Moment. I'm afraid though that he has held up his end much better than me so I'll have to start listening to some country before he listens to U2 :/ Do the Dalton Brothers count???  :D

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
  • U2 has disappointed me. My entire collection 4sale
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I gave copies of NLOTH to the two friends who were coming to the concert with me.  Both seem to have semi-converted. The one I drove with still has the CD in his player. Everytime he turns it on, there they are.  My other friend turned to me during the concert and said "I didn't know they were so political". I was nice-I didn't laugh (out loud).
:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Offline ptrocku2

• Stateless
  • And We All Shine ON!!!
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »
YEP!!!  all the time!!  Have converted my brother BIG TIME...edge is now up there with Jimmy Paige and David Gilmore for him..and we go to every show together. 

Amazingly..my ex husband was a limo driver back when U2 was doing the Joshua Tree Tour..and drove the Edge around in LA..wasn't a fan then.  When he met me..I took him to his first U2 show..now he is hooked as well.

Those are my two success stories...the others..haven't been so successful.  Most ppl just don't like the band... each to his own!!

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
Im in the process of converting someone right now!!

She's just listened to Streets for the first time tonight, she loves it.  Her favorite so far is Crazy Tonight :D :D

Offline iluEdge

• Stateless
  • when you stop seeing beauty, you start growing old
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »
failure 1: a friend of mine told me, "I don't know why you like U2 so much ~ they only have, like, one good song."  (this made my heart ache - truly, physically ACHE)
failure 2:  I teach middle school, we listen to U2 quite a bit in class and the kids know I love them (missed 2 days of school to see 360 in October)...anyway, I was discussing U2 with a couple 13 yr. olds, telling them that U2 made the most money touring of any band last year @ $109 million - that no other band even came close to that - and followed up by adding, "What current band could sell out The Rose Bowl?"  They looked at each other and said, "Creed probably could." 
I don't argue or fuss with people, or try to persuade them to like U2...but for some reason it pains me when someone insults my boys...it's like they kicked my dog or something.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:44 PM »
Creed?!

/facepalm

Offline SBMitch

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Somebody stepped inside your soul
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »
Creed?!

/facepalm

Creed is back together? Wha...?!

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 07:13:57 AM »
Creed?!

/facepalm

Creed is back together? Wha...?!

Sadly.

I heard one of their songs, it was as cliched as one can imagine. It was about "rain washing away all the pain".  >:(

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 08:10:38 AM »
Ah but hey, they're what the religious right have wet dreams over...

Offline AspiringDragon

• Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby; it'll be alright.
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »
Creed makes part of my soul die, so I dunno what the "religious right" find so awesome about it. *coughs* Sorry, that was a bit offensive, wasn't it?

Erm, anyway, moving on before I gag little more...
I've sort of persuaded a friend to listening to U2 a little just by talking about them so much. She now shares some love for The Edge, since I occasionally just spam social networking sites with pictures, quotes, and videos/interviews of him and the band. ::) She likes U2 alright - minus Bono. Well, because I've kind of pressed that Bono means well even if he does come off as a hypocritical p****, she doesn't dislike him so much as his singing. I listen to U2 a lot around her (okay, well, in general), and ask her for her opinion of some songs. She does the same for me and some of her music - she's actually is the person who got me into Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead a while back.

But, I must agree, I'm not going to try and force or persuade people to like U2 to pressing it upon them. However, I wished I could find more people around here that share the U2 love. :-\ So, I dunno if I should voice my fangirliness more or not. Either way, I guess people just don't know what's good, so I doubt I could really persuade them anyway. :D Some of these stories are right interesting though.

Offline SBMitch

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Somebody stepped inside your soul
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 12:52:55 PM »
Creed makes part of my soul die, so I dunno what the "religious right" find so awesome about it. *coughs* Sorry, that was a bit offensive, wasn't it?

Erm, anyway, moving on before I gag little more...
I've sort of persuaded a friend to listening to U2 a little just by talking about them so much. She now shares some love for The Edge, since I occasionally just spam social networking sites with pictures, quotes, and videos/interviews of him and the band. ::) She likes U2 alright - minus Bono. Well, because I've kind of pressed that Bono means well even if he does come off as a hypocritical p****, she doesn't dislike him so much as his singing. I listen to U2 a lot around her (okay, well, in general), and ask her for her opinion of some songs. She does the same for me and some of her music - she's actually is the person who got me into Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead a while back.

But, I must agree, I'm not going to try and force or persuade people to like U2 to pressing it upon them. However, I wished I could find more people around here that share the U2 love. :-\ So, I dunno if I should voice my fangirliness more or not. Either way, I guess people just don't know what's good, so I doubt I could really persuade them anyway. :D Some of these stories are right interesting though.

You are safe to voice your fangirlness here all you want LadyDracona!

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »
I was so sad today :'(
My friend who I thought I got to like U2.. informed me over twitter she deleted every song off the list I gave her
but Crazy Tonight.

heartbreaking.

That has to suck.

It sucks for the friend.

She'll never hear Gone/Acrobat/Zooropa/Breathe/Bad/Crumbs From Your Table/Three Sunrises/Stay/Out Of Control/One Tree Hill/So Cruel/In A Little While/The Electric Co./Big Girls Are Best/Xanax & Wine/Drowning Man/Magnificent/October/Like A Song/Original Of The Species/The Fly/Gloria/Moment Of Surrender/etc....

ever again.

perish the thought.   

InThisHeartland

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 08:07:20 PM »
Im soo happy, because today i got a muse-obsessed friend to download JT, AB, and Pop (hasnt listened to them yet) and watch R&H (really liked it). im gettin there!

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »
Congratz, that's great!  ;D

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:08 PM »
I've given up on my brother and sister for now, but they're still young, so who knows... :D My brother likes Lemon, so there's a start. ;D

I did try to convert a friend of my and sister and me. I failed. I burned her a CD of like 15 songs - SBS, Myst. Ways, WOWY, NYD; all the "classics." She promised to listen to the CD at least once, and ended up only liking Myst. Ways (which really surprised me). :-\