Author Topic: Best concert intro + suggested intro for 360 3rd leg  (Read 6542 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Best concert intro + suggested intro for 360 3rd leg
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 04:54:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Worth mentioning the other main Vertigo intro (There was a Love and Peace or Else one too, least prominently) which was-  Band enter, Edge strums Vertigo riff, Bono gets the crowd going with "Hello Hello...." a few times, then they launch into Vertigo.

Oh I knew I forgot an intro...I remember that from the Euro stadium leg. It gets the crowd going but lacks the mystery and excitement of a COBL opener, IMHO.

I completely agree; I only saw 'Vertigo' live but preferred COBL from what I saw of it, I was just throwing it in there as another opener- not my favourite!

My own favourite goes to Zooropa Zoo Station, although I *love* Mofo crowd entrance as well!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
I thought the Kingdom-individual bandmember/instrument intro into Breathe was amazing

So did I. It was great that Larry got to start things off. 8)

I love seeing each individual band member get cheered :)

Yeah I thought that was brilliant for the crowd inside the Inner circle.  I don't think Breathe's particularly great as an opener though.; it should be magnificent and nothing else. It's got an intro

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 05:20:38 PM »
I think Magnificent would be a brilliant opener, especially with the long intro.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 05:25:02 PM »
I thought the Kingdom-individual bandmember/instrument intro into Breathe was amazing

Yeah I thought that was brilliant for the crowd inside the Inner circle.  I don't think Breathe's particularly great as an opener though.; it should be magnificent and nothing else. It's got an intro

Breathe's got a great intro, what are you talking about.  From what I've heard Magnificent live lacks the punch of the studio version.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »

Breathe's got a great intro, what are you talking about.  From what I've heard Magnificent live lacks the punch of the studio version.

Breathes there fully formed, it doesn't build anticipation like a streets/zoo station/mofo

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »

Exactly..one of the few U2 songs where the studio version is better than the live version.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »

Breathes there fully formed, it doesn't build anticipation like a streets/zoo station/mofo

But then I think Elevation was the best opener and it created a lot of excitement at the show I went to.  You can keep your boring 5 minute intro's e.g Zoo TV, Pop-Mart.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
Take this with a grain of salt cause I've only seen a 360 show but from the extensive amount of videos and downloads I have:

City of Blinding Lights was the best opener closely followed by Streets and Elevation in my book

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 09:45:44 AM »

But then I think Elevation was the best opener and it created a lot of excitement at the show I went to.  You can keep your boring 5 minute intro's e.g Zoo TV, Pop-Mart.

True, Elevation was a simple but great intro...

You had the Influx Mix of the song - a brilliant remix and perfectly structured to open (and it's not too often I say that about U2 mixes!)

Followed by band entrance 'house-lights up'. Works indoors at smaller venues where you can see them all more clearly. (Not so effective in a 90,000 stadium at the end of June!)

Finally, 'house-lights down' in conjunction with Edges savage riff -  nice and dramatic.

Add to all this the fact that Elevation was a well-known song that gave us all ample scope for an early air punching singalong and you have it cracked.

It may have been a relatively low tech opening but is was perfectly choreographed and well thought out.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 11:54:44 AM »

True, Elevation was a simple but great intro...

You had the Influx Mix of the song - a brilliant remix and perfectly structured to open (and it's not too often I say that about U2 mixes!)

Followed by band entrance 'house-lights up'. Works indoors at smaller venues where you can see them all more clearly. (Not so effective in a 90,000 stadium at the end of June!)

Finally, 'house-lights down' in conjunction with Edges savage riff -  nice and dramatic.

Add to all this the fact that Elevation was a well-known song that gave us all ample scope for an early air punching singalong and you have it cracked.

It may have been a relatively low tech opening but is was perfectly choreographed and well thought out.

Ah the memories.  Elevation was like the swinging 60's, you had to be there. ;)

Offline Boy83

• Stateless
  • My Blue Room
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »
if I can throw my two cent's here... I really liked the "love and peace" intro on the first half of vertigo! I thought it was really cool how they all came out in the dark with those high beams pointing everywhere! I really like to find symbolism's in things and I thought that was way cool!

Another thing I'd like to point out is that the vertigo tour ended with the boys leaving the stage one by one during 40, being Bono the first to leave and Larry the last. On the 360 tour Larry takes the stage first and Bono comes out last... I thought that was pretty cool as far as a symbol of continuity. I know it might have been a big coincidence or just random act with out any thought going into it, but I liked the fact that it was almost the "way" things had to be...

Just my opinion, anyway...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:44:00 AM by Boy83 »

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »
Another thing I'd like to point out is that the vertigo tour ended with the boys leaving the stage one by one during 40, being Bono the first to leave and Larry the last. On the 360 tour Larry takes the stage first and Bono comes out last... I though that was pretty cool as far as a symbol of continuity. I know it might have been a big coincidence or just random act with out any thought going into it, but I liked the fact that it was almost the "way" things had to be...

Thats actually really interesting.  Thanks for pointing that out :) :) :)

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
Another thing I'd like to point out is that the vertigo tour ended with the boys leaving the stage one by one during 40, being Bono the first to leave and Larry the last. On the 360 tour Larry takes the stage first and Bono comes out last... I though that was pretty cool as far as a symbol of continuity. I know it might have been a big coincidence or just random act with out any thought going into it, but I liked the fact that it was almost the "way" things had to be...

Thats actually really interesting.  Thanks for pointing that out :) :) :)

I noticed that too!! It was one of my favorite things about this intro. :)

InThisHeartland

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »
suggested intro-- Discotheque.
(with BOOMCHAS)

Think about it.

actually, the boomchas could be the intro to discotheque. oh $#! that's be awesome. starting out 360 with the Boomchas.

hang on i gotta let that sink in....  :o :o

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »
suggested intro-- Discotheque.
(with BOOMCHAS)

Think about it.

actually, the boomchas could be the intro to discotheque. oh $#!† that's be awesome. starting out 360 with the Boomchas.

hang on i gotta let that sink in....  :o :o

Whoah... :o

*joins ITH*