Author Topic: Life hasn't been quite the same since I heard "Lemon."  (Read 1001 times)

Offline ZG

• Babyface
Life hasn't been quite the same since I heard "Lemon."
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
Although their singles had stalked me since birth and the Mission: Impossible soundtrack had claimed some of my cash in '96, U2 didn't pull me in until "Beautiful Day" led to All That You Can't Leave Behind led to The Best of 1980-1990 led to Zooropa. After that initial rush over Christmas vacation 2000-2001, I decided to spend three full weeks living inside one U2 album before moving on to another. I realized that they're these fantastic strongholds of stories, and even if they don't do the things they seem to promise -- like, say, tell you how to dismantle an atomic bomb -- they do offer plenty worth thinking about. And think about them I do.

Last year, I presented a paper at the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login in Durham. (The topic? "Uncertainty Can Be a Guiding Light: Why and How U2 Made Zooropa.") Twelve hours later, right after "Moment of Surrender" and just before U2 disappeared backstage through the tunnel running directly under my seat, I leaned over the railing, scrambled to figure out what I needed to tell them after all these years, and finally shouted: YOU DID A GOOD JOB! ("You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login'" was my second choice. Seriously.)

This is my relationship with U2 in a very tight nutshell. I listen to them, I appreciate them, I go academic on them and I yell generic but heartfelt compliments at them.

My last semester in college, I started on a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login-esque book about Zooropa, which served as the basis for my conference paper. Although that's in, shall we say, "development hell" at the moment, I'm currently pumping out some not insubstantial daily U2 bloggage at the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Usually by noon every day, I find some recent news to cover, or else comment on a past event, or show that "Miami" isn't all that bad.

But I'm not here to push my blog -- which isn't to say I wouldn't mind you guys taking a look around there. I'm here for the conversation. I've been visiting atu2 regularly since not long after I started listening to U2, but for some reason I just hadn't signed up for the forums until recently. More than write papers or blogs, I'd like to actually talk with more people about the band. And this'd be the place to do it.

So take this as a heads up that I'm jumping into the pool with the rest of you guys. Th'name's Kevin, by the way.

Talk to you all soon!

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
Re: Life hasn't been quite the same since I heard "Lemon."
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:51:16 PM »
:D :D no I didn't learn how to dismantle an atomic bomb I was really mad then I realised the album was way better than what I thought it was ;D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:17:08 PM »
Welcome Kevin! I missed the Conference. I really wanted to be there. I hope you enjoy the great conversations here. I'll try and check out your blog.

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:32:30 PM »
Welcome Kevin! Looking forward to chatting with you and hearing your comments!

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »
Welcome, fellow Zooropa fan. 8)

I look forward to seeing you around here!

Offline ZG

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
Thanks, all!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Welcome Kevin! I missed the Conference. I really wanted to be there.

Sorry to hear you couldn't make it. The conference was a fantastic experience for me, and I suspect I speak for many others in saying that. I ended up missing the last day of presentations after the cold I caught on the flight finally took me down, but all the parts I attended, I loved.