Author Topic: Overheard conversation between Brandon Flowers and Chris Martin.......  (Read 21435 times)

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Overheard conversation between Brandon Flowers and Chris Martin.......
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Coldplay are actually planning to release an album this year...

I agree though Viva La Vida, Violet Hill, Lovers In Japan, Lost! and Life In Technicolor are all leagues better then "Boots". The albums as a whole...well lets wait for March 3rd. Then I'll give you an opinion from a fan of both.

In Rainbows winning would be laughable. Viva La Vida has it for sure...they owe Coldplay Grammys from A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

Kings of Leon are under recognized by the Grammys...

Pfftt...In Rainbows was an amazing album. Their use of rythm was great. And the percussion was top notch.

Viva La Vida will win the grammy though, but who cares about Grammy's? They're overrated. It's more of a popularity contest. I did enjoy Viva La Vida though.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:31 PM »
I heard Brandon slept with Gwenyth!  Ah poor Chris. One more notch on The Killers belt. ;D

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 08:03:36 PM »
I heard Brandon slept with Gwenyth!  Ah poor Chris. One more notch on The Killers belt. ;D

The Apple doesn't fall too far from the tree....or maybe it does?!?!

Offline LaughingGas

• Refugee
  • "Your face pressed up against the glass"
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
Hahahah!  Isn't Brandon's middle name Moses?

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 09:07:45 PM »
he parts the waters.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »
"Fack!, now what do we do?"

Brandon Flowers is rejoicing that this train wreck will distract attention away from "are we human or are we dancer"

I love this song.  love it.

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 03:57:08 PM »
I'm rooting for Radiohead and M.I.A. to beat out Coldplay.  And right now, this looks quite possible, with Coldplay being censured for their Joe Satriani-plagiarizing exploits.

Offline TheWaqman

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 04:03:40 PM »
I'm rooting for Radiohead and M.I.A. to beat out Coldplay.  And right now, this looks quite possible, with Coldplay being censured for their Joe Satriani-plagiarizing exploits.

It seems like not many people here like Coldplay's new album, I for one thought it was fantastic.

But really Radiohead and M.I.A. deserve it more.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »
The first 2 Killers albums are probably some of the best albums ever made

Really? You're saying that, in terms of eclecticism, atmosphere, innovation, start-to-finish quality, distinctiveness, uniqueness, artwork, quality of tea the band drank* and so forth, those two albums genuinely stand up to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying you'd better have some stunning arguments otherwise.

*Americans aren't tea drinkers, on the whole, so the Killers might be especially deficient in this crucial area when it comes to making popular music's highest pantheon.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 08:06:49 PM »
Most of Codplays album KILLS get on your boots...even the Killers Day and Age is way better than U2's first single so far...

doesnt mean NLOTH won't possibly KILL both of them back when it gets released.  ;)

Offline Zoonationalist

• Refugee
  • www.themarinerwritings.wordpress.com
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009, 05:36:40 AM »
I LOVED "Hot Fuss"...one of the best albums of the past decade. But since then, The Killers haven't dazzled. "Sam's Town" was alright, but definitely not as good as HF. The new album "Day and Age" is a DISASTER.

They tried to blend some musical styles together. It didn't work. Human ended up being the best tune on the album.

Coldplay: I agree with a previous poster- although a good band, they are too "proper" to ever become as good as U2. I can't see them "getting their hands dirty."

It reminds me of the movie/documentary "Dig", about The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols. Anyone ever see it? Althought the Dandies had the commercial success, the lead singer of Brian Jonestown (Anton) was always considered the "genius" in that music scene. The lead singer of the Dandies even admitted that Anton was a genius, but said something to the effect of: "To be like him, I would have to let myself go, and I don't think I can ever let myself go THAT far."

Sorry for the tangent, but I feel U2 are to Coldplay as The Brian Jonestown Massacre are to the Dandy Warhols.

(Except in this case, U2 still has the commercial success)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 06:14:41 AM »
coldply's new album is FANTASTIC. i think they are just gonna get better and better. which is a good thing for u2, it SHOULD keep them on their toes for the "best band battle". kings of leon, friendly fires and the killers are all gonna keep the pressure on, as they have all released brilliant music in the last few years. i wasn't too keen on sam's town, but day and age is a better effort from the killers, not as good as hot fuss, but still good.

BTW, i think eno MUST have told u2 how good viva la vida was when he began work on NLOTH. i don't think viva was released yet when he began working with u2 on the new album. i may be wrong. this surely must have made u2 even more determined to make a GREAT album.

i have also noticed, when bono has been asked in recent years about who u2 were competing with for the best band mantle, he mentions kings of leon and the killers, (see Q magazine interview as one example), does he not rate coldplay? or is he running scared?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:16:53 AM by miami »

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »
The Killers and Coldplay and even Radiohead won't come close to U2 until they can actually move beyond their current sounds.

Could any of them ever pull of rockabilly tune like 'Jesus Christ"? Or actual "rock & roll" tune like "Desire"?

Or R&B/Soul inspired stuff like "Angel Of Harlem", "In A Little While", "Stuck In A Moment"?

Or even a reggae cover of Johnny Cash?

I don't think they have it in them. They're simply not that talented. They do "rock" music. They do it very well,
but all they do is white "rock" music.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »
I think you can safely say that Radiohead have moved on from their original sound! I mean comparing Amnesiac or Kid A to Pablo Honey or The Bends shows that emphatically.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
I think you can safely say that Radiohead have moved on from their original sound! I mean comparing Amnesiac or Kid A to Pablo Honey or The Bends shows that emphatically.

yeah, but it's all still very european white rock music.

They couldn't pull of something like "Angel Of Harlem." Or "Slow Dancing."

There is no American music in anything they do(well, maybe a little Jazz). And that's a huge flaw.