Author Topic: Retirement Imminent: U2 Have Nothing Left To Prove  (Read 7625 times)

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
Re: Retirement Imminent: U2 Have Nothing Left To Prove
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 05:05:50 PM »
Is this the third or fourth post Jick has written about U2 calling it quits? 

Offline street87

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 05:12:49 PM »
U2 is not going to retire unless one of the band members die (which i hope won't happen, but you never know). I will say that NLOTH wasn't quite what I expected. I had high expectations on this album with all the excitement Bono was sending out with interviews saying it was gonna be in a similar direction to Achtung Baby. In the end, the album probably has maybe 3 or 4 songs that I enjoy and very little of traces of the North African influences that were reported. But I haven't given up faith in these men. The best is yet to come, I bet my life on it.

Offline Passenger84

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 is not going to retire unless one of the band members die (which i hope won't happen, but you never know). I will say that NLOTH wasn't quite what I expected. I had high expectations on this album with all the excitement Bono was sending out with interviews saying it was gonna be in a similar direction to Achtung Baby. In the end, the album probably has maybe 3 or 4 songs that I enjoy and very little of traces of the North African influences that were reported. But I haven't given up faith in these men. The best is yet to come, I bet my life on it.

Hear hear. Wonderful post.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 05:51:36 PM »

I wouldn't bet my b******s on it. :D

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
U2 will retire or break up when Larry says so! LOL
No I truly believe that
Retirement is not imminent Jick because they have signed a multimillion dollar, multiyear contract that they will try to fulfill.
As long as the Rolling Stones keep going, U2 will keep on. I think they have severla tours left in them yet.
I no longer bother about the charts because the music world has changed so dramatically over the last 10-15 years, that being #1 on the Billboard charts does not mean the same thing it did in 1999!

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 06:31:42 PM »
As long as people who care about album sales, chart positions, and mainstream popularity, U2 will always be a disappointment to them. 

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
As long as people who care about album sales, chart positions, and mainstream popularity, U2 will always be a disappointment to them. 

For those people, we have HTDAAB

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »

I wouldn't bet my b******s on it. :D

The best is undoubtedly behind them, the question is, is the future of U2 gonna be worth waiting for? I hope so......

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »
U2 will retire or break up when Larry says so! LOL
No I truly believe that
Retirement is not imminent Jick because they have signed a multimillion dollar, multiyear contract that they will try to fulfill.
As long as the Rolling Stones keep going, U2 will keep on. I think they have severla tours left in them yet.
I no longer bother about the charts because the music world has changed so dramatically over the last 10-15 years, that being #1 on the Billboard charts does not mean the same thing it did in 1999!

The last thing I want is for U2 to turn out like the Stones, making one tour after another with the fans just waiting to hear another rendition of Streets.

U2 have stated that they care about the charts.  They are not like other self-indulgent bands who make music for the satisfaction of their artistic goals.  U2 make music that they hope will send a message to the greatest number of people. That message can be social, political, personal, or even just letting the music speak and saying "this is how music ought to be made."

But when you hear a single like Boots, does it really send a statement or a message?  Or was radio and MTV right in not giving it the light of day?

U2 have never ever been a band about artistic exercises.  They always want to get their message across to as many people as their can.   An album that doesn't sell, or doesn't get airply, or isn't talked about is not what they are looking for.

After this tour, they will sit down and seriously evaluate their positions.

-The music industry is not what it used to be, they may no longer get the audience they once did to listen to a new album.  

-They have more than enough money to send even all their great great grandchildren to college.

-They will never probably top the scale of the 360 Tour, and they have also tried the return to the arenas late in their career with the Elevation and Vertigo Tours.

-They are already going to be past 50 years old.

-Why should they keep on going?

On a personal note, I caught them at Rose Bowl and it was great.  I will try to catch a couple more shows (I will make the long trip to Cali again this June) as this may be the last time I may ever see them perform as a band.  Just a funny feeling inside me.

Cheers,

J

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 08:16:27 PM »
I think it would be easy to argue that they should go out on top.  If commercial success is your definition of that, then this is commercially their top tour and 2 of their last 3 albums were very commercially successful (and NLOTH wasn't bad sales-wise compared to most groups in the current context).

I don't think they want to take the easy road.  10 years left on a Live Nation deal says to me that they are in it for the long haul and that they truly believe that they have some great songs left in them and the stamina to take those songs on the road. 

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »

-They have more than enough money to send even all their great great grandchildren to college.

If that was an issue they would have retired after the joshua tree. U2 makes music because U2 likes to make music.

-They will never probably top the scale of the 360 Tour, and they have also tried the return to the arenas late in their career with the Elevation and Vertigo Tours.

Whose to say they will never top the scale of the 360 tour as others have said the idea is huge, but the stage is simple.  Btw they went back to arena's because they didn't think they would be able to sell stadiums after popmart.

-They are already going to be past 50 years old.

Your point is what. Bruce is pushing 60 and still selling out stadiums and releasing albums, good and bad. Frank Sinatra had NY, NY way past 50 and continued to release albums up to his death. Besides with bono's ego do you honestly think he will say "ok i'm 50 time to go away and be old quietly"

-Why should they keep on going?

Because they enjoy to make music and want to get the hit they didn't get last album. Also having signed a ten year deal with live nation shows your intentions pretty clearly.

Oh yeah and about boots it may have sucked on the album, but it sounds much better live. Also GOYB actually is an anti-war song, that sends the message that men have screwed up so women should be in charge. Also the hating on Boots is so simplistic there are many more things wrong with NLOTH than boots.

Offline TyraRay

• Elevated
  • Ill come back above, when there is only love <3
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 11:20:08 PM »
U2 has nothing left to prove?

Did it ever cross your mind that the members U2 like making music?
Its what they have done their whole lives.
So because of their success with breaking records, and making amazing songs, they should RETIRE cause theres "nothing else to prove"!? ::)
If I were a star, and could still sell out stadium shows.. I wouldnt care if I broke every record known! If performing is their passion, thats what their going to do.
So what if this album didnt do so great on the charts? Whos to say the next wont? They will always have their huge fan base that will support them through anything.

And quite frankly, I dont care if their next stage is amazing and out of this world. They could perform
with no light show/ no fancy equipment/no nothing, and I would still LOVE the concert.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:28:31 PM by TyraRay »

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 11:26:20 PM »
some GREAT points jick.
I think what is most likely to happen though, is U2 take another shot at a big, commercial album, TRY to top 360 off (if the next album is commercial, it certianly MAY break 360's records) and then settle  it there and just tour arenas for the rest of their career. or, retire.
BUT the point is U2 are still looking for that perfect album. They're enjoying their touring, they're enjoying their work, and they ARE gonna continue. I think nloth has really forced them to think about HOW they will continue though.
the U2 thing to do would be to make another commercial album and a huge tour and leave on top. whether that can possibly happen or not is another question.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 05:13:09 AM »
Jick, i don't think it's self indulgent to make music in order to reach artistic goals - there could be any number of motives for wanting to try something that's artistically new and risky, and one of them could be giving your audience an insight into a new type of sound you've discovered, a beauty that you want to express and that you want people to see as well (isn't that what art is meant to be about???). After all, i highly doubt u2 (or any band, for that matter), went out in the late seventies to make a band, and make music, with the first focus in their minds being what would be the most popular music they could make. If that was true, then surely they would have made music that sounded identical to Michael jackson or Queen or something??? 

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 05:20:08 AM »
In fact i think it would be far MORE self indulgent to manipulate and exploit an art form in order to get some kind of political message to as many people as possible, because then, all you're doing is using assuming you have a point of view that is more important than most people's, and focusing on the importance of popularity, rather than the importance of artistic beauty, which is what people truly enjoy through music, not whether its popular or not.
Furthermore, u2 shouldn't have to retire because they have nothing left to prove. Is there a reason why they can't just carry on because they enjoy writing and performing songs? Are they not allowed? Are you saying that they don't actually enjoy the concept of creating music, but merely exploit it for their own gain - to spread a message?  Are you saying that if political campaigning (or something along those lines) was a more effective way of spreading a message, then all the members of u2 would have gone into that line of work?