Author Topic: Retirement Imminent: U2 Have Nothing Left To Prove  (Read 7592 times)

Offline achtungjoshua

• Wanderer
Re: Retirement Imminent: U2 Have Nothing Left To Prove
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 07:52:50 AM »
This is a good post with some good replies.

I have posted previously that I love NLOTH and think it's their best album since Achtung Baby. I also think the songs played live from the new album (I saw the band 5 times last year) stood up well against the old stuff and, yes, Boots is better live than on record - as others have pointed out. I, for one, do not go to their gigs just to se ethe old classic songs like 'Streets' - I go to see if they can play the new songs live - and for NLOTH they definitely can in my opinion.

Quite rightly, as people have said, would they really have signed a 12-year dela with Live Nation if they thought that the 360 tour was intended to be their last? And would they still be looking to build the U2 Tower in Dublin Docks - with a recording studio on top - if they were going to retire any time soon?

Yes, they may be almost 50 years old, but what the hell are they going to do for the rest of their lives if they retire now?! U2 is all they know (apart from Bono's campaigning) and they have no problem in saying that they still enjoy making music together and love being on stage and playing to the best fans in the world.

I think they are with us for at least another 10 years yet - thank God.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 09:04:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The band truly believe that their best work is ahead of them, I think it's tough to repeat their best moments but they show they are still a very capable act with this album and tour. Sure The 360 won't be repeated and so what if the next tour (if there is one) isn't grandiose. I'd rather it wasn't anyway, a nice scaled down arena tour would be fine by me.

Same here.  I hope they don't retire after the 360 tour.  I think they still have some great music to write.  Even, if they no longer attract the young fans.  U2 has enough of us older ones, who will buy their music and see them in concert.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 10:03:38 AM »
I never realized they signed a 10-year contract.  I guess that fact in itself renders most of the points I raised here moot and academic, unless U2 opts to rescind the contract.  My apologies for starting this thread.

Cheers,

J

Offline TyraRay

• Elevated
  • Ill come back above, when there is only love <3
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 06:13:05 PM »
The band truly believe that their best work is ahead of them, I think it's tough to repeat their best moments but they show they are still a very capable act with this album and tour. Sure The 360 won't be repeated and so what if the next tour (if there is one) isn't grandiose. I'd rather it wasn't anyway, a nice scaled down arena tour would be fine by me.

Same here.  I hope they don't retire after the 360 tour.  I think they still have some great music to write.  Even, if they no longer attract the young fans.   U2 has enough of us older ones, who will buy their music and see them in concert.

but thats not true! Im 14, and over the last couple months I have actually found a few people at my school who claim to "love U2", especially "crazy tonight" :D

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
I never realized they signed a 10-year contract.  I guess that fact in itself renders most of the points I raised here moot and academic, unless U2 opts to rescind the contract.  My apologies for starting this thread.

Cheers,

J

I'm surprised you didn't know about their 10 year contract they signed?  If a band is going to sign a mult imillion dollar contract for 10 years,  its likely that band intends to make more music.   

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »
U2 will retire or break up when Larry says so! LOL
No I truly believe that
Retirement is not imminent Jick because they have signed a multimillion dollar, multiyear contract that they will try to fulfill.
As long as the Rolling Stones keep going, U2 will keep on. I think they have severla tours left in them yet.
I no longer bother about the charts because the music world has changed so dramatically over the last 10-15 years, that being #1 on the Billboard charts does not mean the same thing it did in 1999!

The last thing I want is for U2 to turn out like the Stones, making one tour after another with the fans just waiting to hear another rendition of Streets.

As long as people who care about album sales, chart positions, and mainstream popularity, U2 will always be a disappointment to them. 

U2 have stated that they care about the charts.  They are not like other self-indulgent bands who make music for the satisfaction of their artistic goals.  U2 make music that they hope will send a message to the greatest number of people. That message can be social, political, personal, or even just letting the music speak and saying "this is how music ought to be made."

But when you hear a single like Boots, does it really send a statement or a message?  Or was radio and MTV right in not giving it the light of day?

U2 have never ever been a band about artistic exercises.  They always want to get their message across to as many people as their can.   An album that doesn't sell, or doesn't get airply, or isn't talked about is not what they are looking for.

After this tour, they will sit down and seriously evaluate their positions.

-The music industry is not what it used to be, they may no longer get the audience they once did to listen to a new album.  

-They have more than enough money to send even all their great great grandchildren to college.

-They will never probably top the scale of the 360 Tour, and they have also tried the return to the arenas late in their career with the Elevation and Vertigo Tours.

-They are already going to be past 50 years old.

-Why should they keep on going?

On a personal note, I caught them at Rose Bowl and it was great.  I will try to catch a couple more shows (I will make the long trip to Cali again this June) as this may be the last time I may ever see them perform as a band.  Just a funny feeling inside me.

Cheers,

J

WHAT  ??? The most ridiculous statement I have ever read or heard about U2! 

Absolutely incorrect! Think Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby and (go on Jick, admit it) Pop, those albums in paritcular were all most definitely about pushing their limits artistically, experimenting with different types of music and sounds and not worrying about album sales and awards.

Achtung Baby is the most obvious of the three. There is video footage (I have it) of Bono saying this regarding the release of the album and subsequent Zoo TV tour, and I quote:

"We may lose some of the pop kids, but hey, we don't need them!"

The best sentence Bono has ever said in my opinion 

Achtung Baby is quite rightly considered a 'masterpiece'. It did not win any Grammy's, it was U2's attempt to reinvent themselves completely, and was most definitely not made for just chart success, to win awards or to try and please the public. The same goes for The Unforgettable Fire and Pop.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 09:39:03 PM »
It should be noted that the Live Nation contract is for tours, merchandising and online promotion only. There is no recording deal attached and it seems that U2 are in the midst of fulfilling their record deal with best compilations, remastering and 3 vinyl sets of previously released remixes of previously released songs.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 08:00:16 AM »
It should be noted that the Live Nation contract is for tours, merchandising and online promotion only. There is no recording deal attached and it seems that U2 are in the midst of fulfilling their record deal with best compilations, remastering and 3 vinyl sets of previously released remixes of previously released songs.

U2 have consistently said they don't want to become a touring only band, thus I don't see them thinking about retiring until the deal is up.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 01:46:48 PM »

U2 have consistently said they don't want to become a touring only band, thus I don't see them thinking about retiring until the deal is up.

That's what I think too. But if (god forbid) they decided to quit tomorrow, would they want to go through a lengthy legal conflict with Live Nation or just keep touring to see out their contract? I hope they continue making music for that time.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 01:47:44 PM »

That's what I think too. But if (god forbid) they decided to quit tomorrow, would they want to go through a lengthy legal conflict with Live Nation or just keep touring to see out their contract? I hope they continue making music for that time.

They could probably buy them out with some pocket change

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »

Yeah. They could also fund it with another Best of ... compilation!

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »

I heard it was $100 million, not exactly pocket change even for u2.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 05:26:23 PM »

I heard it was $100 million, not exactly pocket change even for u2.

I'm sure they could settle, it's not like LiveNation got nothing out of the deal

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 10:52:35 PM »
Contracts or no. I do not think the idea that U2 or any band should be out making music and performing to prove anything. They should just go out their becasue it is what they love doing. The day that it stops being interesting to them, then they should call it quits.