Author Topic: Why 'Get On Your Boots' is Terrible  (Read 14054 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: Why 'Get On Your Boots' is Terrible
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 09:07:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, I think operator has raised some valid points. I've been a U2 fan for more than 20 years and GOYB (imao) hasn't delivered what it promised. I've listened to the song pretty much 24/7 for the last two days, thought I liked it at one stage, but eventually, I had to concede that this has all been done before. There's nothing new or innovative about this track (God, I hate myself for saying these words!), and to me, it sounds like Discotheque chewed up and spat back out. And no-one is more disappointed by this than me. If they do a kick-ass live version of GOYB, (like Elevation) I will gladly take back what I just said, but at the moment, I feel a little let down. I'm sorry, but I just don't think this song will stand the test of time.

If you like the song, great!! But don't goad someone who's raised some issues about what they feel are shortcomings.

I think that's fair enough. To me it isn't quite the innovative leap I was hoping for, but it may sit well in the context of the whole album. It's also the fact that it's the first single; there was even more pressure on it to deliver. And I fear it may have come up a little short  :(

hurricane hugo

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »
Why are you so excited by Get On Your Boots? It is incredibly forgettable. Having been a U2 fan for 20 years, I know that we are a one-eyed lot who melt at pretty much everything they do. This song suffers from the same over-involved, over-produced nonsense that led U2 to release technical-heavy duds like Discotheque & Vertigo. Listen to 'Pump It Up' by Elvis Costello; it sounds almost like a legal rip-off (Costello's version actually has rock'n'roll guts to it). The lyric style are a direct rip-off from Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues. Read reviews from non-partisan and partisan sites all over the web. People are incredibly under-awed and disappointed with the song. It will not catch on, it will not be popular, but Bono (who are obviously surrounded by 'yes-men'-a stance they used to rally against) will thrash it ilke he did Vertigo and bang on about it being the best thing they ever did - as he does with every long-awaited U2 single/album release

fail, lol.

#@!

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »
One more thread where I need to come in and say that everyone is entitled to their opinion of this song and everyone is entitled to share their opinion on this board. Being a U2 fan does not mean liking everything they ever do. You can love the band and hate this song.

Because some people don't like the song and post about it here does not make them a U2 hater. The smugness that has accompanied the posts on both sides of this issue is really tiring to read. You're not right to like it and you're not right to hate it...it's just an opinion.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »
Get On Your Boots is Terrible because:

1.  The verse is bass-driven with little guitars, too much like Vertigo.

2.  The intro is a big riff, too much like Vertigo.

3.  One of the key lyrics contains the word "beautiful." Didn't we just have "Beautiful Day" and "City of Blinding Lights" (oh you look so beautiful tonight) as prominent singles in their last two albums?  Do we really need another song with the word "beautiful"?  They are running out of words.

4.  Four middle-aged men pushing fifty singing the word "sexy" just doesn't cut it.  Maybe a teenage pop singer would be more fitting.

5.  No one really wears boots nowadays, so most of the listeners won't even be able to relate to the song.

6.  And boots is an inanimate object - "sexy" is not the right adjective to describe it.

7.  The song arrangement is just disjointed and like a patch-up job of different rejected U2 demos.

8.  Bono is better off as a singer than a rapper.

9.  The lyrics are sung too fast to be understood.

There really is no redeeming value to this song.  It will go down as one of the forgettable singles in U2's history.  It won't have any staying power, won't dent the charts, won't get MTV play, and won't make their future Best Of compilations.

The song is just a failure in all levels - music, lyrics, arrangement, relevance - just everything is a failure.  This is the POP album summarized in one song.

Cheers,

J

Offline kale

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 11:28:36 AM »
Get On Your Boots is Terrible because:

It won't have any staying power, won't dent the charts, won't get MTV play, and won't make their future Best Of compilations.

Any chance you had of making a credible argument has been flushed away with your last comments.
Its clear that you are not living in reality.

Offline acejace

• Wanderer
  • "...as an angel - hits the ground"
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »
Honestly, you are entitled to your opinion (I think "terrible" is a little harsh - but that's just MY opinion). But your cold, scientific approach to explaining why it's terrible is what I politely disagree with.

I can't list chapter and verse scientifically as to why I like the song - to me its a matter of feeling, and, crazy as it sounds, the song makes me feel energized and excited. Like I wanna go out and do something amazing. A far cry from a scientific analyzation I know - but that's how I feel.

Just my .02

Revolver7

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 12:15:21 PM »
Musical Taste is Subjective to the Listener...I don't think anyone can give the end-all judgment of Get On Your Boots...

Personally, I love it. Right now, in the US iTunes store, it's #16...rock songs don't climb that high very often

Offline Rob of the leads york

• Wanderer
  • i'll light your way if you light mine!
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »
i think everyone is getting too carried away here...i LOVE the single i think its new ground for the guys, sure it RELATES to other songs but isnt that what music is? being inspired by others to make something you like the sound of? sure some people arent going to like it, thats how music is, lets face it a first single needs to announce you're back with a new record - there's many more tracks to come on the album but i think boots' its a great start. so before everyone starts saying to people who dont like it "you arent a true U2 fan", need to remember its just an opinion which we're all entitled to. sure theres been a few mixed reviews about it but to be fair ive heard more good than bad things about it - id put my money on it that people who arent fond now will (as earlier predicted) LOVE it live. i think they've worked hard on the record but also had fun too - if they dont make energetic tracks like boots you'll end up with a whole album of ballads from how was it put (these fifty somethings!). not cool. so lets all look forward to the album then we'll really see what they're made of. and for god's sake - stop looking back to joshua tree and achtung baby - both excellent albums but they're in the past and we're not in a position to have another jt or ab on the radio it wouldnt work because it wouldnt be new! like NLOTH!  ;D

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »
Why are you so excited by Get On Your Boots? It is incredibly forgettable. Having been a U2 fan for 20 years, I know that we are a one-eyed lot who melt at pretty much everything they do. This song suffers from the same over-involved, over-produced nonsense that led U2 to release technical-heavy duds like Discotheque & Vertigo. Listen to 'Pump It Up' by Elvis Costello; it sounds almost like a legal rip-off (Costello's version actually has rock'n'roll guts to it). The lyric style are a direct rip-off from Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues. Read reviews from non-partisan and partisan sites all over the web. People are incredibly under-awed and disappointed with the song. It will not catch on, it will not be popular, but Bono (who are obviously surrounded by 'yes-men'-a stance they used to rally against) will thrash it ilke he did Vertigo and bang on about it being the best thing they ever did - as he does with every long-awaited U2 single/album release

I don't agree on Discothèque but I DO agree on this one. Their worst first single ever.

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »
I've heard the same story and so far GOYB has ripped off numerous songs since its debut.  And its also newbies that are hating....

Newbies in the sense of "new" to the forum? 'Cause i'm not exactly new to the band...

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 02:42:23 PM »
I think this thread deserves to be locked and the key thrown away.  >:(

XD I second that

I don't  ;D

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 02:43:09 PM »
And I bet people that hate this song will change their mind when its heard live.

That I agree with. specially when Larry plays on it  ;D

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »
What do you people want from U2?! Do you want them to birth Jesus in the form of music?!

It's a good song, it's definitely something different from the boys. Achtung Baby was released in 1991. It is now 2009. U2 has moved on, shouldn't you?

Go over all first songles since 1983 (the first year when they released more than one single off a record, if i'm right)...

New Year's Day
Pride
No Name
Desire
The Fly
Numb
Discothèque
Obama's day (erm sorry, Beautiful Day)
Vertigo

Now All them, no exception had something (call it "groove", "swing", "guts", "cojones", "custard", "mayonaise"), all them in their style, all them had a solid background, a solid base, normally the drums, which are non-existent on "Boots". This new single is like a bad copy os "Vertigo", like a negative version of it: There's virtually no guitar, no drums, no bass, just an anooying melody on Bono's lines... and don't mention the "Let me in the sound" section... The mix of the kinds of drums, rolls and stuff make it pretty weak... "Gone" had an electronic machine loop on its middle section but Larry's drumming was tight and solid... here it doesn't happen the same... If you like it, cool but then rememebr you're beginning to have poor taste... I hope it happens like with the 90's singles, that this one is just a misleading song of what we may find on the rest of the record...

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 03:02:43 PM »
If you like it, cool but then remember you're beginning to have poor taste...

If we could stick to comments without making judgments of others, I'll be able to get some sleep at night.   :)

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 03:07:31 PM »
*Sigh* another thread like this? Why can't you have posted this in one of the million existing threads about this song? Oh wait - you did. Twice. I sense a troll.
SO why can YOU make the "Shiny Happy People board" & we aren't allowed to post negative comments on it, but YOU are free to come on here & complain, hmmmm?  ???

Everyone doesn't have to love everything about U2 to be considered a fan. I don't like Boots much either right now, but U2 has been my favorite band for 20 years now. It's pretty pretentious to judge someone's loyalty to U2 because they voice a dislike for ONE song.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:16:46 PM by BeneathTheNoise »