Author Topic: U2 is Using a 360 degree stage design  (Read 16086 times)

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
Re: U2 is Using a 360 degree stage design
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »
idk the whole 360 degree stage sounds awesome but when I read it'll be at the end of the stadium, well isn't that basically the Vertigo Tour?   

hurricane hugo

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »
^ If you mean the Vertigo arena stage, yes - just scaled way up. Look on Youtube for footage from Foo Fighters' 2007 Wembley Stadium gig. You'll see how they did the 360-degree stadium seating, although there were "pillars" at each corner of the stage; I imagine that U2 may employ a "bridge style" double truss. Picture a suspension bridge with the entire stage beneath the center span. You'd also be able to put the entire overhead light rigging on tracks (think Pink Floyd's '87-'88 tour) as well as the video screens (a la Genesis' '93 setup), so that everything could move to where it was needed. There are other ways to do it, but that's the 1st one that comes to mind. Of course, in certain domed stadiums (New Orleans' Superdome, Detroit's Ford Field), one could hang the entire overhead component from the ceiling.

I'm curious as to what they do with the PA in this setup. A Pink Floyd-style quad sound system (in my experience) is ideal for giant stadium gigs.

#@!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:18:52 PM by hurricane hugo »

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 05:05:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
idk the whole 360 degree stage sounds awesome but when I read it'll be at the end of the stadium, well isn't that basically the Vertigo Tour?   

It's still not clear if the 360 will apply to both outdoor and indoor, but Lanois says something to the effect that the stage will be closer to one end, but it will still be out towards the middle. This is a radical departure particularly for the outdoor shows, as previous to this, no U2 "outdoor show" has ever had an audience behind the stage. It's still a bit unclear, but it sounds like a significant change to me

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 10:42:35 AM »
Do you think that they may incorporate some of the technology used on U2 3D?

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 06:58:29 AM »
Going "360", to me, implies a very stripped down show.   The stage would have to be virtually bare, in order to have nothing blocking the rear audience.

I want an actual BACKDROP... with vidiwalls, and Trabant cars, and arches, and mirrorball lemons...  A real SET!

The more bells and whistles, the better!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:01:12 AM by rlj1010 »

Offline Loose Electricity

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 07:36:17 AM »
In the Dan Lanois tour clip , the tour was described as "technologicaly mind boggling". I don't think we need to worry about the tour being scaled down. I think that there is way more to the show than just a 360 stage. This is supposed to be their best album yet. I don't think the U2 boys would give us a half ass tour.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 08:04:47 AM »
The best example of using a 360 stage I've seen was Metallica recently, they actually had a rectangular stage in the middle of the arena. The band moves around a lot so every side was played to/sang to, and the drumkit rotated too. There's a bazillion youtube clips if you're interested. I was wondering how Kirk would handle this due to the guitar pedals needing to be in front of him, but it wasn't an issue as he has it all programmed and run by his guitar tech so he's not stuck in front of his gear. Of course, the stage takes up a lot of GA capacity, so that wouldn't please Paul "part of your ISP provider fee should go to ME" McGuinne$$.

Offline JohnnyVOXX

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • many will see and hear
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 06:43:11 AM »
could it be somthing like this?????
maybe with a little more stage stuff....
Peter GAbriel
Live Concert from the 2003 Growing Up Tour in Filaforum, Milan, Italy

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »
could it be somthing like this?????
maybe with a little more stage stuff....
Peter GAbriel
Live Concert from the 2003 Growing Up Tour in Filaforum, Milan, Italy

Could be.  I'd expect more stuff on the stage.  The stage setup for Gabriel is pretty bare.

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
The 360 stage sounds very nice, but wouldn't that limit them a bit with where they could play?  I love outdoor concerts the best, but this may be pretty hard to adapt.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline hibricc

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 10:46:19 AM »
Sorry I'm late to the discussion... One more intriguing note about the NIN tour.  The eyepopping visuals were designed by a company called Moment Factory.  Here's a short video that explains how they did all that.

Note the strangely familiar font of Moment Factory's logo.  Hmmmm....

Offline zedg

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • *POP*
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »
Sorry I'm late to the discussion... One more intriguing note about the NIN tour.  The eyepopping visuals were designed by a company called Moment Factory.  Here's a short video that explains how they did all that.

Note the strangely familiar font of Moment Factory's logo.  Hmmmm....

NIN are on tour in Australia right now and I really wanted to see this show, however Trent decided to strip down the show, removing all the sweet technology/visuals. Decided to no longer to go once I found this out.

daveyg

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 01:35:01 AM »
I WANT TO BE BEHIND LARRY!!!!!!!!

WATCH HIM BANG THOSE DRUMS ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!!!!!!!

Every U2 gig so far Ive been to since 1987 Ive been stuck in front of Bono or Edge (not that that's a bad thing in itself!!) but I think this time I'd like to jump round like a maniac in front of Adam, but now I've a choice? Adam or Larry? mmmmmmm decisions decisions! lol

Offline EdgeLike

• Stateless
  • http://www.last.fm/user/EdgeLike
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »
I don't know.. If I was sitting behind them, I wouldn't be able to see their faces. And the playing would be directed at one part of the audience and not the others. Unless they have some sort of swivel mechanism.. That'd be awesome.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 10:17:12 AM »
A close friend/U2 fan theorized that staging would be as suggested in the "equal" sign on the album cover, just as the heart was part of the Elevation tour, with the heart stage, and the ellipse for the Vertigo tour.  So methinks that's a pretty good bet.   8) 

...So how about the equal sign - two stages, that rotate on an axel so everyone gets a primo 3d view?   ;D
That'd rock!