Author Topic: U2 is Using a 360 degree stage design  (Read 16163 times)

Offline ice_bergy

• Wanderer
U2 is Using a 360 degree stage design
« on: January 20, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

An Cat Dubh

Re: U2 is Using a 360 degree stage design
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:53:10 PM »
YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LET ME IN THE SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:56:14 PM »
They should've done that for Vertigo it would've fit perfect with the whole theme but oh well.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
Yeah, but maybe now we get 360 degree views of lots of girls in thigh high sexy boots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:02:49 PM »
Nice.

As long as they don't stay in one place. (seen it happen before lol.)

Mal

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »
Yeah, that would not be cool.
I guess we will leave it up to the band and their designers to make sure the show is perfect though, they have not done too bad a job in the past eh?
And this would be cool indoors and in stadiums  ;)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
Have you listened to Daniel Lanois - the stage will still be at the end of the arena/stadium - but there will be no pillars or anything blocking the way???? Not too sure what to make of this now, but, I have absolutely every faith here that this tour will be INCREDIBLE, whatever the design.

Offline u2boy11

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Miss Holiday Golightly, Traveling.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »
I WANT TO BE BEHIND LARRY!!!!!!!!

WATCH HIM BANG THOSE DRUMS ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline yam_yam

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »
can someone explain this concept in such a way i can picture it in my head cos atm i'm extremely confused

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »
First up, this all comes from an interview with Daniel Lanois who has seen "Preliminary drawings" of the stage setup. He said "I think there going 360 this time", "they are still set up favouring one end but there will be no pillars in the way"

So it's sounds like almost, but not quite "in the round", which would normally be dead centre in the middle of the arena/stadium.
Think of the indoor Vertigo tour which had an audience behind the stage in the higher levels only,now move the stage out toward the middle of the arena, this frees up the lower level behind the stage and also could mean a larger GA standing area as this could surround the stage.

Thats my take on it anyway.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
First up, this all comes from an interview with Daniel Lanois who has seen "Preliminary drawings" of the stage setup. He said "I think there going 360 this time", "they are still set up favouring one end but there will be no pillars in the way"

So it's sounds like almost, but not quite "in the round", which would normally be dead centre in the middle of the arena/stadium.
Think of the indoor Vertigo tour which had an audience behind the stage in the higher levels only,now move the stage out toward the middle of the arena, this frees up the lower level behind the stage and also could mean a larger GA standing area as this could surround the stage.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Hey Falling - this is exactly how I envisage it being done. I kinda like the idea too.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »
I don't know why they wouldn't just put the stage in the middle of the floor if they're going to do a 360 degree setup.  It seems like if the majority of the audience is in front of them, they wouldn't bother to face behind them much at all.  Whereas if the stage is in the middle, they'd be almost forced to face behind them half of the time. 

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »
I WANT TO BE BEHIND LARRY!!!!!!!!

WATCH HIM BANG THOSE DRUMS ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!!!!!!!

You can have that seat, frankly.  I was behind the band in Charlotte, and although it was a good show, I left feeling a bit deflated.  The band was playing to someone else, and I think Bono motioned our way maybe twice.  It would be different if we were RIGHT behind Larry (see what color his drink is (ala U23D) right behind Larry), but we were way above them, because of the layout of the seats in that arena, and it was not quite as good as previous shows.  The tip of the ellipse was especially bad, because not only are they singing the other way, but they are now 1/2 way across the arena and we couldn't see them because of the video screens in the way.

My take on it, based on Danny Lanois' comments would be that the back end would be open, but the stage would not be in the middle of the arena.  The way I understood him was that there were no pillars to block their view, sort of like the US arenas with the roll down light strands for COBL, etc. or the banners used during Elevation to project stuff on, but then they fold back.

Someone (Hurricane Hugo, I think) posted a link of a NIN concert (I think - it was a few weeks back on a different thread) that was amazing, and I get the sense that the band will do some of that sort of stuff - visually amazing, but with a clear view of the band all around.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »
Someone (Hurricane Hugo, I think) posted a link of a NIN concert (I think - it was a few weeks back on a different thread) that was amazing, and I get the sense that the band will do some of that sort of stuff - visually amazing, but with a clear view of the band all around.

What was so amazing about the NIN show?  I haven't seen the link...

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
I am not sure exactly how they did it, but they appeared to have 3 screens, or rather 3 "scrims", which are transparent and you can project stuff on, or perhaps a mini version of the rolldown lights interspersed here and there.  This allowed them to give the illusion of depth and show some things in 3D.  The way I am describing it sounds lame, but visually, it was amazing.  In one part, there was sort of a glitter across the front screen (in front of the band), and then one of the band members wiped this thing across it, and it wiped away the glitter so you could see through.  it wasn't just them acting out a pre-programmed light set (where the lights dim at that moment and they practice it), as they had to go back and wipe away a little spot they missed.

Try this one You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I think that is the one I saw before - sort of a mashup of a few songs.  I am not a NIN fan and I think there are some words that are objectionable, but visually it is amazing, at least in its variety of effects.  (0:46, 2:00, 2:20, 3:08 and the bit at the end).

Based on what we have heard recently (360 stage), I think this may be out, but perhaps something like this with the light curtain strands would be rolled down (my speculation only).