Author Topic: The Plan: 50 Days of Bono!  (Read 163197 times)

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
Re: The Plan: 50 Days of Bono!
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 12:24:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My favorite baby Bono stories come from his childhood friend....Guggi from the Virgin Prunes. They lived across the street from each other and were friends since they were about 3 years old. Bono used to play on the swings in Guggi's backyard. They used to play on scooters, bikes, skateboards and such in his yard too. I believe Guggi's dad worked for a shop that repaired them or something like that. You see, Lypton Village really started as early as about 1963 ;)

Oh back in the early days of touring the US for the first time, Bono's hair was very red. I always loved it! Those days will always be the U2 memories closest to my heart because I was their age too. It  was a special time for me as well.
omg Bono was a ginger! lol Naturally? Did he start coloring it later on or did it just gradually turn more brown as he got older? My fave BB Bono story is the Bee story.

He started experimenting with hair color as a teen. I think the black just looked very Rock and Roll to him.

He wanted/wants to be Elvis.   ;)

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »
Another young Bono pic:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline edgetastic [Vote Zaphod]

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
 :o This is amazing ;D

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »

Bloom, have you read the children's book abut Bono? It tells that story but it concludes that the Dr told the Hewsons that their son had "an eccentric heart." I like that one slightly better but can totally see the other as true as well.

And Yooper, we are so looking to you to contribute to this.  ;)

Another favorite Story From Bono's Childhood:

His nickname was : The Aniti-Christ-- oh the irony!

It seems to me I saw that thing about the "eccentric heart" somewhere, but not sure where...I did NOT know there was a children's book about Bono! Hmmm....*wonders if she can get away with reading it to nieces and nephews without accusations of brainwashing from brothers*

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »
[/color]
*sigh*  I know what I'll be doing for hte next 50 days.  This makes me smile.  Don't forget Oral Fixation day!

I love hanging around people who say things like this without a second thought, knowing everyone else will know what it means!

Offline edgetastic [Vote Zaphod]

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2010, 02:13:23 PM »

Bloom, have you read the children's book abut Bono? It tells that story but it concludes that the Dr told the Hewsons that their son had "an eccentric heart." I like that one slightly better but can totally see the other as true as well.

And Yooper, we are so looking to you to contribute to this.  ;)

Another favorite Story From Bono's Childhood:

His nickname was : The Aniti-Christ-- oh the irony!

It seems to me I saw that thing about the "eccentric heart" somewhere, but not sure where...I did NOT know there was a children's book about Bono! Hmmm....*wonders if she can get away with reading it to nieces and nephews without accusations of brainwashing from brothers*
I think it's in U2 by U2

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2010, 03:02:14 PM »
Another young Bono pic:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Anyone else think that Bono's dad looks just like The Fly here?   :D

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
Good afternoon Bonofans!

In addition to lusting after celebrating our favorite member of U2, we will also be highlighting some of his favorite causes.  Each week we will look at the efforts of a different organization. This isn't to raise funds, but to raise awareness of all the wonderful work these organizations do.

Since today is World Water Day the spotlight is on The African Well Fund You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. From their website;

"It was formed in October 2002 by a group of U2 fans inspired by the media coverage of Bono’s May 2002 trip to Africa with then Secretary of U.S. Treasury, Paul O’Neill. Struck by the relatively low cost of building a well and the enormous difference that a well can make in the life of a village, we were convinced that raising the money to build a well was an easily achievable goal. It was from this conviction that the African Well Fund (AWF) was born."

How cool is that? A bunch of fans just got together and decided to change part of their world.

Now back to the drooling celebrating!

Offline Belisama

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2010, 06:15:57 PM »
I give to the fund every year on the B-man's birthday. I think I initially did it (I know I initially did it) because it just made me feels better, however, contributing has also made me a lot more conscious about my local water supply and the issue on a global level. I now participate in the local watershed effort and am part of the Chesapeake Bay clean up movement and the Tributary movement. In the past couple of years I have found myself giving to the cause not just on Bono's birthday. If has definitely changed the way I view so many things: I think a little more globally and act a lot more locally.

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2010, 06:36:02 PM »
Ahhhhh Monday Morning, first Day of The Plan!  Some Baby Bono is in order-- let us go from the Boy to the man, shall we?

Here you can obviously see that yes, Bono is indeed a redhead. Who knew? I have also noticed that one of his sons really takes after him, curly hair and all. And who knew that cute button nose would grow so large? ;) Would you have ever thought his sweet innocent little boy in the white puffy shirt would go one to do what he has done?

One of my favorite Bono Baby stories is that his parents were horrified and amazed that as a toddler one of his favorite practices was to take bees by hand from one flower and place them on another. This he could do without getting stung. Even at such a tender age he was pushing the envelope.

Please feel free to add any Baby Bono pics and/or musings for the day.

Aaaw!!!!!!!! Why are these the only childhood pictures of Bono? I love that story too Beli! U2fan8, it's told in a couple of different places, but Bono's father tells it like this in "U2 at the End of the World":

"I remember when he was about three, only a toddler. He was out in the back garden. He went over to a flower with a bee. He put out his finger, lifted the bee up, talked to the bee, and put it back again. He probably doesn't remember it, I don't think I ever mentioned it, but I can remember to this day the horror of my wife and myself. He could go from flower to flower picking up bees and never get stung. Amazing, isn't it?"

I also remember, when I was first getting into U2, I read that biography "The Unforgettable Fire", and as I recall there's a funny story in there about how when he was a baby Bono used to cry so much that his mother actually took him to the doctor because she thought something must be wrong...so they did all these tests on him, and eventually the doctor concluded that he "just wanted attention". Don't know if it's true or not, but if it is - classic!

Great, thanks bloom! And the story about Bono crying all the time is in U2 by U2 as well. :) It's nice to know he was very much who he was even at age three. :D

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2010, 06:48:51 PM »
Well, I see Beli has beat me to it the morning. That's what I get for watching C-SPAN all night I guess.  But let's carry on with the Bono Adoration!

All together now, AWWWWWWWW!

I've always LOVED this picture.  I'm excited to see what this yields.  ::)

Offline Belisama

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2010, 06:51:34 PM »
Well, I see Beli has beat me to it the morning. That's what I get for watching C-SPAN all night I guess.  But let's carry on with the Bono Adoration!

One man, on an empty beach. . . .

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »

DON'T GET ME STARTED BELI .... UHHHHHHHHHH.

I'm having enough trouble being friends with the adorable semi-ginger, blue-eyed baker who gives me free stuff and wants to go jogging with me.  I don't need to deal with baby Bono on an empty beach either ... :D

Offline Belisama

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »

DON'T GET ME STARTED BELI .... UHHHHHHHHHH.

I'm having enough trouble being friends with the adorable semi-ginger, blue-eyed baker who gives me free stuff and wants to go jogging with me.  I don't need to deal with baby Bono on an empty beach either ... :D

Hmmm the plot is thickening for RAH. . . are you having trouble being friends, or just being friends?

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
**peeks in** - hmmm...I wonder if there'll be any Elevation Bono in The Plan?
**Bows down to the superior intelligence of Monica and Beli**
**ducks out**