Author Topic: a point about the u2 survey  (Read 2733 times)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
Re: a point about the u2 survey
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 06:40:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
to be honest, i didn't see the connection until a friend pointed out the bit about the parked car in a crowded street. it was only when i looked at the rest of the lyrics that it seemed more obvious that the song was indeed a political one. there is an irish rebel (IRA) song called "wrap the green flag around me". it's a song that celebrates the resistence of the IRA against british rule in ireland. i believe the line in love is blindness: "don't you wrap the night around me" is directly referencing that song and bono is defying the notion that the IRA fought for people like him, who is obviously pacifist.

i come from a nationalist/republican background in ireland and would have enjoyed listening to those rebel songs in the past. but it was interesting and refreshing listening to songs like please and love is blindness with an alternate view on the troubles here, and they definitely had  some sort of effect on how i changed my outlook on the use of physical force resistence here in ireland. 
alot of irish people say this about the ira fighting on our behalf but i am not sure many of them felt this way i think they were fighting for the nationalist belfast or derry not dublin you would think the way bono talks at times as if dublin was in the middle of the fighting when in truth 95% of it was in the 6 counties. the most any one in the 26 counties were exposed to the troubles was what they saw on tv thats why as a person from the south i never argue the point with a provo supporter from the north bottom line they lived it .i did not

i have lived most of my life in west belfast, in a provo heartland. just because you come from a provo area doesn't mean you whole-heartedly support them. i used to be sympathetic to the cause, but i have since learned violence was largely futile.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 08:19:56 PM »
the song is, according to Bono, " the sound of a marriage breaking up". It is in the RS Podcast

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 10:20:02 PM »
bono's lyrics are often dressed up as one thing and mean something totally different. larry stated that the reason he loves bono's lyrics is that they can be applied to multiple situations.  

Amen. Although AB as a whole is regarded as an album about relationships, love, fidelity and sex, the lyrics in Love is Blindness can also apply to "the troubles".