Author Topic: Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss  (Read 28951 times)

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »
Had this debate the other day while out drinking with some fellow music geeks.

I know I was right when I made this argument even though not everyone agreed.

Validate me, please.

;D

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
Re: Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:36:13 AM »
Okay I am gonna get shot for saying this but I disagree, Bono is a good singer but not as good as some of the voices out there.  Take any oprah singer, Jim Morrison and Dylan, each of their voices is so amazing they give me chills!

Bono is a good singer, I love his voice, but compared to some others he his average.   :)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 03:49:23 AM »
Well, Lennon and Pavarotti aren't alive, so... I guess this statement is quite fair.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:15:05 AM »
I know Bono probably isn't a great technical singer, but his voice moves me in mysterious ways.   :D  Passion and conviction go a long way.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:32:24 AM »
It's an impossible question to answer. Technically, he's nowhere near the greatest. But he has a unique voice which is very effective at conveying emotion.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Had this debate the other day while out drinking with some fellow music geeks.

I know I was right when I made this argument even though not everyone agreed.

Validate me, please.

;D

Sorry, dude - Soundgarden/Audioslave frontman Chris Cornell has been rock's greatest singer (male or female) for 2 decades now. I'd place Bono alongside the 1st pack of male singers behind Chris, along with Maynard James Keenan and a few others.

Truth be told, this is a terrible time for male singers in music. After Chris, I'd say that the next best 10 (at least!) singers are all female.

#@!

mariamontreal

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »
Bono's voice is unique , he is not the greatest singer in the world but still a great singer , but when he sings he sings with absolute conviction and passion and you feel it right through your body . I could be in a busy restaurant , store , whatever and even if the music is not loud I could detect Bono instantly.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:40:02 AM by mariamontreal »

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »
Bono = the greatest singer alive today = duh.  All these posts stating otherwise really have me tickled...especially the Chris Cornell one; oh, that's a hoot!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »
Well you're not going to go to a Placedo Domingo oprah and say, "it's good, but he's no Bono", are you? Bono's voice is my favourite in popular music, but I meant it's hard to gauge who is the best singer, because we all set differing criteria.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 06:56:03 PM »
Well you're not going to go to a Placedo Domingo oprah and say, "it's good, but he's no Bono", are you? Bono's voice is my favourite in popular music, but I meant it's hard to gauge who is the best singer, because we all set differing criteria.

Exactly; what Placedo Domingo does is of no interest or value to me, so Bono trumps him.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 07:07:19 PM »
Bono = the greatest singer alive today = duh.  All these posts stating otherwise really have me tickled...especially the Chris Cornell one; oh, that's a hoot!

Hey GPII, you are using the duh word again ;)  What happened to Jack???   Oh and Bono may not be the greatest, but he is real close! Emotion means more to me than technical skill.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
Emotion means more to me than technical skill.

That was basically my argument, and opera singers were not part of the discussion ;)

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
Glad to be a U2 FAN!maman
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 03:11:01 AM »
Its hard to go against Bono, but right next to him is my man Eddie Vedder. Anyone who can cover a Who song as good as he does, deserves some points. The man has unbelievable passion in his voice. Ever hear of a little song called Jeremy?

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 03:17:36 AM »
He may not be the greatest but he certainly gained more admiration from me when he covered Pavarotti's vocals for Miss Sarajevo on the Vertigo tour. I'm a philistine when it comes to the technical terms, but that awesome big long note he holds near the end sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. I cannot think of any other rock singer who can do that.

mariamontreal

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »
That does it to me all the time my eyes swell up with tears and goose bumps up and down my arms and legs, and also Kite from the Slane U2 GO HOME DVD.That's another goosebumper !