Author Topic: Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss  (Read 28953 times)

Offline pug909

• Wanderer
Re: Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 08:04:04 PM »
I love the Slane Castle DVD!

Is Bono the greatest singer alive today?  Well, that would depend on who you ask.  For me, I have to say yes!  His singing touches me in a way that I haven't experienced since the Beatles.  When I listen to U2 I get lost in the music.  It takes me to a place that has to be believed to be seen  :).  Bono has a powerful and emotional singing style.  The words he writes, the way he sings, his presence on stage.... there is just something so magical about it all.  Often when I'm stressed, I'll watch one of their DVDs, or just a few videos on youtube if I don't have a lot of time.  U2's music does something amazing - it's really the miracle drug!  :)

Offline bateylaw

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »
During the War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree he was, but he has lost some of the power of his voice.  For me today it's Thom Yorke with Michael Stipe in a close second.

nolinehumper69

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Would also suggest Michael Hutchence as better frontman 

Yeah it's a shame that he put that noose around that door knob...

I dont really pay attention to singers. U2 are weird for me. Ever since I first started listening to them in the early 80s I have had this strange fasicination with Edge's sound. For me U2 are more about him than Bono's singing.

I also like the bad singers that reviewers pick apart. Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen... Those are true poets and when they sing they convey it with their voices (at least for me).

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 12:15:44 AM »
Bono is good once he gets warm live. So about 6 months into the tour he is the best he can be. He was best in 87. Not anymore.

On the new album you may hear The Edge a lot, and a lot of harmonizing. Well thats done for one reason, Edge has a high falsetto and can boost all most any deeper male to sound better. They do that a lot because Bono isant as good as before. Best trock singers today are: Chris Martin he has proven on Viva La Vida he can sing in the lower registers. His voice is all around way better then Bono, but they are also different types of singers. Tom Yorke is better then Bono, the guy from Muse, Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol. The most comparable though would be Jon Bon Jovi, any day of the week will Jon beat Bono in a contest.

Bono does great on the Slane DVD and great on the Milan DVD, but Im sorry, he isnt as great as we think he is. He is a great front man, not the worlds best singer.

Edge is better then Bono.

Most rock versitile is Dave Grohl. Listen tot he acoustic album Skin and Bones you'll know what I mean. Cornell is up there, but Ive lost a lot of respect from him cause he Timbalanded. Vedder is up there for Rock too.

For me though easily Martin, Yorke, Bon Jovi, Grohl, Vedder, Cornell, Stripe. They all come before Bono.

Bono has emotion and passion. Something only a few of the above have. That why U2 are a live band. Not studio.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:20:19 AM by malcolm-edge »

Offline latindrummer2112

• Refugee
  • my gig review blog ->latindrummer.wordpress.com
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 01:05:02 AM »
best frontman - always

As someone who saw Freddie Mercury, I have to disagree.

+1
Arguably the greatest frontman AND vocalist of all time. I'd have to give Morrissey an honorable mention as well.

Offline grymarg

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 04:02:15 PM »
He may not be the greatest but he certainly gained more admiration from me when he covered Pavarotti's vocals for Miss Sarajevo on the Vertigo tour. I'm a philistine when it comes to the technical terms, but that awesome big long note he holds near the end sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. I cannot think of any other rock singer who can do that.

oh the high note on miss sarajevo  awesome

luieu2

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
Had this debate the other day while out drinking with some fellow music geeks.

I know I was right when I made this argument even though not everyone agreed.

Validate me, please.

;D
i think he is the greatest singer. hes singing voice just blows me away .no other singer blows me away like bono. the singing voice.back in 85 somthing just clicked when i heard pride ,i cant describe it .U2 music takes me on a roller coaster and i will never get of it till the day i die .in my opinion there U2 music then theres the rest . U2 music is part of me who i am and who i have become .the music has made me richer as a person and happier than i have ever been.NLOTH validates to me just how awsome U2 are
tears in my eyes when i heard crazy tonight awsome voice bono.

:'(

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:05 AM »
During the War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree he was, but he has lost some of the power of his voice.  For me today it's Thom Yorke with Michael Stipe in a close second.

I respect your right to an opinion but I strongly disagree with this. I think Thom Yorke REALLY struggles to sing in tune live and lacks power in his voice, technically very weak imo. Michael Stipe has a distinctive voice, but it has nowhere near the power of Bono's, even today. I don't want to disrespect either of these singers, Radiohead and R.E.M. are 2 of my favourite bands outside U2 and both singers are unique. But for me Bono could easily cope with any of their respective bands' songs, whereas neither of them would have a hope of nailing Vertigo, Streets etc.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 09:40:02 AM »
Bono is good once he gets warm live. So about 6 months into the tour he is the best he can be. He was best in 87. Not anymore.

On the new album you may hear The Edge a lot, and a lot of harmonizing. Well thats done for one reason, Edge has a high falsetto and can boost all most any deeper male to sound better. They do that a lot because Bono isant as good as before. Best trock singers today are: Chris Martin he has proven on Viva La Vida he can sing in the lower registers. His voice is all around way better then Bono, but they are also different types of singers. Tom Yorke is better then Bono, the guy from Muse, Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol. The most comparable though would be Jon Bon Jovi, any day of the week will Jon beat Bono in a contest.

The only singer there who could possibly be described as better than Bono is Matt Bellamy of Muse. He is a great singer, live as well as recorded. Chris Martin cannot hit any difficult notes, which is why he reverts to his falsetto ALL THE TIME. Gary Lightbody doesn't have any truly difficult notes to hit in his band's songs, another weedily-voiced frontman. Thom Yorke is technically all over the place live. Radiohead are a great band, but Thom Yorke will NEVER be a great live singer. But he gets away with it because every critic gives Radiohead plenty of slack, unlike they do with U2. Jon Bon Jovi is better with his tuning than Bono, but he can't get the same kind of power in his voice. Could you imagine him singing Miss Sarajevo?

Offline connyb

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 02:29:02 PM »
I think he is my #1. He sings with such emotion and conviction it moves me. It's also about the passion. Yes his voice is a little rough around the edges but I think he uses this to his advantages at times. I also would have to say that Chris Cornell comes in a close second. Oh and I also really like Caleb Fallowfill's from KOL it's a bit different but he sings with passion also.

shockdocta22

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »
bONOS voice is better than most of the people in bands today (better than rappers easily) but loses to a couple of peoples

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »
I love my thread... yay me :)

What a deadly discussion this has turned out to be  :P

Offline Nao

• Babyface
Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss:
Not anymore I would suggest.

Having watched most of the numerous U2 live performances in the last 2 months, I have been coming to a
worrying conclusion, Bono's voice is shot. This is something that I began to notice during the last tour but which
has sadly been confirmed to me in the last few weeks.

Singing live these days itís obvious that Bono is finding it very difficult to hit the right notes and because of
this his vocal performances are sounding increasingly strained.  A noticeable example of this would be the
performance of Pride (In The Name of Love) at the US presidential inauguration.

I would in fact go so far as to challenge anybody here to point out a U2 performance in the last 4 or 5 weeks
in which Bono doesnít sing at least one bum note. In the past, apart from a period during the Pop era when
he was having serious issues with his voice, it was unheard of for the lead singer to miss a note. Thinking
about it more deeply, the last time I remember Bonoís voice being really good was during the Elevation Tour,
about 8 years ago.

Before I get lambasted by people pointing me in the direction of Bonoís opera style singing in songs like
Sometimes You Canít Make It On Your Own and Miss Sarajevo, obviously these performances were
very impressive and yes itís clear Bono has developed a great tenors voice, but, I ask you, how many U2
songs feature tenor style singing? There are 3 as far as I know.*

The disappointing thing about all of this is that, Bono was possibly the greatest popular music** singer alive
in the eighties and into the nineties. Going back to what a few other people have said here already, the
The Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum era was perhaps his vocal peak. My assertion however, is that his voice has
been deteriorating ever since and that now finally, the mighty voice, that was once the epitome of U2, may well
have sung its final encore.

The 3 U2 songs featuring tenor style singing are Miss Sarajevo, Sometimes You Canít Make It On Your
Own
and The Hands That Built America, which to the best of my knowledge has never been performed
in full live. I may be wrong about some of these facts

As there is a myriad of types of music itís important to be specific here.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 03:05:42 PM by Nao »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 02:26:51 PM »
Listen to Moment of Surrender and tell me his voice is shot.

Offline Nao

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 02:41:14 PM »
Yes, his voice sounds great on the studio recorded version of Moment Of Surrender. The problem with that is, anyone with a half decent voice will always sound great in a studio as you can have as many takes as you like and audio soft ware can tidy up any raggedness. Take for example City Of Blinding Lights from the last album, he could never sing that live. And on the same basis I would be sceptical of how well he will be able cope with Moment Of Surrender.