Author Topic: Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss  (Read 28948 times)

joegtheog

Re: Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2009, 03:33:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, his voice sounds great on the studio recorded version of Moment Of Surrender. The problem with that is, anyone with a half decent voice will always sound great in a studio as you can have as many takes as you like and audio soft ware can tidy up any raggedness. Take for example City Of Blinding Lights from the last album, he could never sing that live. And on the same basis I would be sceptical of how well he will be able cope with Moment Of Surrender.

I just think he needs to warm up.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 07:28:39 AM »
Yes, his voice sounds great on the studio recorded version of Moment Of Surrender. The problem with that is, anyone with a half decent voice will always sound great in a studio as you can have as many takes as you like and audio soft ware can tidy up any raggedness. Take for example City Of Blinding Lights from the last album, he could never sing that live. And on the same basis I would be sceptical of how well he will be able cope with Moment Of Surrender.

I disagree, very very few singers could do Moment of Surrender justice, even in a recording studio. Btw, the song was also recorded in one take.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2009, 07:32:12 AM »
I haven't heard the whole song since I am waiting until Tues to hear the complete CD, but my local radio station played MOS the other day and I caught the opening vocals: Am I the only one who was reminded of In a Little While (just the vocal style, not the content) from ATYCLB?

Offline Nao

• Babyface
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »
I disagree, very few singers could do Moment of Surrender justice, even in a recording studio. Btw, the song was also recorded in one take.

Yes, it's stated that it was done in one take but Brian Eno also mentions in an interview on U2.com that two whole verses were edited out. This didn't happen without heavy digital reworking and it's this digital reworking that I'd be most sceptical about with regard to Bono's voice. I've just listened to the Jonathan Ross session and again in spite a great overall performance the vocal is patchy all the way through and struggles to hit the high notes.

Interestingly Edge also misses a note during one of his solos on Breathe, but that's another kettle of fish!

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss:

I would in fact go so far as to challenge anybody here to point out a U2 performance in the last 4 or 5 weeks
in which Bono doesn’t sing at least one bum note.

I didn't realize complete perfection was the goal of the rock and roll singer. Sort of like saying that Joyce wasn't the best writer because of all the typos. Chris Martin has a pretty, but limited voice (range and power) -- the band's music caters to the voice. Michael Stipe has an interesting, expressive, but technically limited voice -- I love REM but if he were singing a capella in my living room I'd kick him out.

Yes, Bono does miss some notes. He always has. When he was younger, with his hyper-powerful voice, his performance was undermined by the fact that he frequently was yelling, rather than singing. A local heavy metal rock station was playing -- for some reason -- U2 rock blocks all weekend long. As I heard All Along the Watchtower, I realized how much BETTER of a singer Bono is today than he was then. He's screaming the words in 1988; it's really pretty bad. From a pure singing perspective, I hold the Slane or Vertigo versions of Sunday Bloody Sunday in higher regard than the LiveAid version -- one is singing; one is yelling. I do acknowledge that others might prefer pure power / volume in their rock singers...

I'll concede that the peak is past -- the peak time for me is captured in the Sydney ZooTV performance. Ask any of the other singers mentioned in this thread to replicate note-for-note Bono's I Can't Help Falling in Love With You after singing for two hours. Freddy Mercury is the only one who could do it.

But the peak was pretty high and the notch he sits on today is still way up there...

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 10:03:35 AM »
That does it to me all the time my eyes swell up with tears and goose bumps up and down my arms and legs, and also Kite from the Slane U2 GO HOME DVD.That's another goosebumper !

Goosebumps, yes and I also tear up when hearing some of the music, I also want to party up when I hear others. he's all around the greatest singer today with such a variety of music. No one compares.

andyt

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »

This thread is way off the mark. He's a good performer but the greatest singer alive?

Complete rubbish...

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »

This thread is way off the mark. He's a good performer but the greatest singer alive?

Complete rubbish...

Why would it be complete rubbish?  I started a similar thread on a non-U2 board (the only thing we have in common is where we all live, all different ages etc) and a lot of people had him on their list.  He is loved.

Offline Kenitai

• Wanderer
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2009, 07:37:21 AM »
I think I would say yes if Bono were around 33 years of age and doing a ZOO TV concert this year.

On youtube you can hear how tremendously his voice dropped from ZOO TV till now. Not just his voice, but also the way he sings.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 07:45:30 AM »
It has got better recently, of that there can be no question. It's great to hear him sing with freedom again.

Offline Kenitai

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 07:51:37 AM »
 :-\ Too much freedom I think. On the album it is great however, but live nowadays it's like he's absolutely forcing himself to sing those high notes. This is why I like the ZOO TV Bono better, more restrained, in my opinion.

luieu2

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »
Had this debate the other day while out drinking with some fellow music geeks.

I know I was right when I made this argument even though not everyone agreed.

Validate me, please.

;D
i think he is the greatest singer. hes singing voice just blows me away .no other singer blows me away like bono. the singing voice.back in 85 somthing just clicked when i heard pride ,i cant describe it .U2 music takes me on a roller coaster and i will never get of it till the day i die .in my opinion there U2 music then theres the rest . U2 music is part of me who i am and who i have become .the music has made me richer as a person and happier than i have ever been.NLOTH validates to me just how awsome U2 are
tears in my eyes when i heard crazy tonight awsome voice bono.

i just heard NLOTH live in dublin studio on you tube .
bonos voice blew me away i cant fault it. ;)

Offline Kenitai

• Wanderer
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2009, 05:03:12 AM »
Had this debate the other day while out drinking with some fellow music geeks.

I know I was right when I made this argument even though not everyone agreed.

Validate me, please.

;D
i think he is the greatest singer. hes singing voice just blows me away .no other singer blows me away like bono. the singing voice.back in 85 somthing just clicked when i heard pride ,i cant describe it .U2 music takes me on a roller coaster and i will never get of it till the day i die .in my opinion there U2 music then theres the rest . U2 music is part of me who i am and who i have become .the music has made me richer as a person and happier than i have ever been.NLOTH validates to me just how awsome U2 are
tears in my eyes when i heard crazy tonight awsome voice bono.

i just heard NLOTH live in dublin studio on you tube .
bonos voice blew me away i cant fault it. ;)

I gotta admit, that was great.  Although I gotta say, it's done in a small room, with different kind of equipment than used live in a stadium, which he needs to adjust his way of singing in my opinion.

jimyjazz

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I listened to MOS and his voice is shot.  Compare it - or any other song this decade  - to any song from 1997 or earlier.  He sang from his throat and smoked and killed his voice.  He was a wonderful singer, now he's average with a style.  I think using "passion" as a way to justify a singer is a poor method. Anyone can sing with passion (and who can really say what is passionate and what isn't? Volume doesn't equal passion, and where one hears passion another hears phonieness), and many can sing perfectly, but to sing perfectly and with conviction is very rare and those people -Frank Sinatra, Mariah carey and Ryan Adams, for instance (prior to 2007 though - check out 29 of Jacksonville city Nights or Love is Hell) - are the ones who are really good SINGERS. Bono has a cool voice, and he's a great performer, but he's not a great singer any more.  It's not 1993. Bono is just awesome! That's his gift.

Offline paulinche0102

• Babyface
  • Well, I've been to this one....
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »
Bono's not the biggest singer, there are loads of better ones out there all over the planet. But U2 as a band is perfect. If at least one member would be missing there, I don't know about them. ;)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?"