Author Topic: Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss  (Read 28952 times)

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
Re: Bono = the greatest singer alive today... discuss
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »
This is what I posted on another board....and I stick by it:
For me, my top 3 could be interchangeable, but this is how I'm feeling as of today:

1. Richard Ashcroft (The Verve)
Brilliant singer, known in North America only for Bittersweet Symphony. Try these songs:
a) Appalacian Springs
b) I See The Door
c) Lucky Man

2. Bono (U2)
Once again, brilliant singer, known around the world for his band and his...um...politicalness. Listen to:
a) One
b) Kite
c) Bad

3. Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
Also well known, his voice is one of the best in rock. Listen to:
a) High and Dry
b) Creep
c) House of Cards

All 3 singers share something in common other than being from the UK...passion. They feel every word they sing, and they put their heart and soul into it.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2009, 04:18:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
All 3 singers share something in common other than being from the UK...passion. They feel every word they sing, and they put their heart and soul into it.

...only Bono isn't from the UK. He is from the British Isles though.

Offline Drowning Man

• Babyface
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2009, 02:31:16 AM »
what do you guys think of matthew bellamy(muse?
brilliant in my opinion.

after bono of course ;D

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2009, 05:35:37 AM »
Bono is certainly among the best rock singers alive. Most of the other names mentioned here can't hold a candle to him. Chris Cornell could actually be better, maybe, but it's been ages since he has sung any good music...

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2009, 05:44:49 AM »
what do you guys think of matthew bellamy(muse?
brilliant in my opinion.

after bono of course ;D

Yes Matt Bellamy has a great voice. I'd say it's technically superior than Bono's, but I still prefer Bono's voice overall. I don't know why everyone thinks Thom Yorke is a great singer. He's in a great band, yes, but his voice is almost atonal live and lacks any great power.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2009, 09:33:22 AM »

...only Bono isn't from the UK. He is from the British Isles though.

D'oh.  My mistake...

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2009, 11:45:08 PM »
Bono is great...no doubt. In terms of singer's technique he's not the best. In terms of flexibility/agility in doing vocal runs and melismas, he isn't either. But in terms of unique timbre, story telling, emotional resonance in Popular music, he would have to be one of my favorities. He actually sounds better on NLOTH than he has in a long time. Great Rock High Notes

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »
Also, artists in different genres can have different qualities that can define them as "the best." For instance, Chris Daughtry has a great voice for a hard rock singer, but he's good in a different sense than Bono.

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2009, 12:55:11 PM »
I'd also like to put Serj Tankian up for consideration as the best technical singer. It's an odd choice, but he has great versatility and can change tack incredibly fast - like on "Chop Suey!" when he goes from shouting to smooth crooning in about two seconds. And the middle-eastern accent adds a whole new level of mystique and metal appeal.

For best female singer, Amy Lee. You only need to listen to "My Immortal" to hear why.

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2009, 08:48:23 AM »
I think he is. He has great range and is very emotional.

satellitedog01

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2009, 09:20:31 AM »
Bono isn't bad at all, from a technical viewpoint, he just challenges himself too much in the higher registers, like with No Line(song), which doesn't always do him favours. His timbre is not as beautiful when hitting high notes, as it used to be in the '80s. he has tremendous controll though, like you can hear on Miracle Drug, Two Shots of Happy and Breathe(wasn't flawless live though)

Serj Tankian has one of the most beautiful male voices in the mainstream, and he copes with some pretty high notes too, but we'll have to wait what different music is there in him.

Yorke has incredible controll over his voice, and switches a lot better tween falsetto and chest, and it's a really strong voice, you can hear him open it up from whispers to full on belted high notes, and switching back quickly.

Chris Cornell is one of the greatest too. Unfortunately I heard him suffer through some songs... must have had a bad day.