Author Topic: Best spot to stand in GA for 360 Tour?  (Read 5369 times)

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
Re: Best spot to stand in GA for 360 Tour?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »
I was one line of people back from rail on the outer circle sort of between Bono and Edge and it was a FANTASTIC spot.  Not only did I get quality BEdge time (which is always good in my book), Adam and Larry walked past several times while making the rounds (Larry even stopped in front of me during IKIGC Remix and it was like being in a rave with Larry), and I was fortunate enough to have Bono drop to his knees right in front of me at the end of that song.  It was a perfect vantage point, I could kind of see what was happening with the stage (although to see the stage, it really does require being in the stands, hence why I went to Raleigh on a whim just to see the claw perform).  Charlottesville was weird as I walked into the gate at 5:30PM and was one back from rail which I was a little put off by because I felt I hadn't put in the effort to deserve such a great vantage point.  It's the best place to see the whole band though.  You could also see them move across the entire stage area so if the bridge had gone way far out to one side and Bono or Edge was on it, I could still see it just fine.  Once I'm out of Spain and am on my own computer I'll post some pictures for you!  Hope that helps!

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 12:43:21 PM »
If you were going to a show that I was going to attend, I'd say WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT GO FOR OUTER RAIL EDGE'S SIDE.  But since this is for a Canadian show I say go for that.  If you can't get in the first couple rows of the rail, just go for the middle of the pit.  It's a blast to be in the fray.  I think there's more room to shake what yer mama gave ya in the pit than on the rail, esp. if the guys are anywhere near you.  Everyone tries to jockey you out of position so they can (OMG) touch Bono or whatever.  That said, I also have been on the back rail and enjoyed that (although I prefer Edge's side to Adam's).  You've got good sound, you're close to the main stage and when the guys come by on the catwalk you're right there.  They do look out quite a bit but they usually take time to turn around and address the pit too.

Offline AndyU2

• Numb
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have some pictures I took from the front of the outer rail in Vegas over here:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Amazing pictures!

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »
Jeez, don't think I've ever seen so many people dissing the FOS area.

For me, my best experience for 360 was FOS, right under Bono's mic. Yeah, it took a lot of waiting (overnight at Vancouver, in some pretty cold temperatures), & a little luck. Yeah, the stage is pretty high, making it hard to see Larry (but I don't believe it's much higher than the Vertigo stadium stage was, if at all). Also the screen is way overhead, so can't really be viewed from this close, & yeah, it's crowded up there. But there's nothing like the energy right up front, with Bono working the crowd.

Don't get me wrong, the outer rail of the catwalk is amazing. Great views across to the main stage, & the graphics of the screen look superb from here. You won't be able to see much of the lighting of the CLAW, but hey, you can't get everything. You'll actually get closer to the band here than FOS. That's because the catwalk's only 4ft high (compared to the stage's 8-9ft) , & the rails are much closer to the catwalk than it is to the main stage). But unless you're lucky, or really do your research, you won't get anywhere near as much time close to the band as you will up at FOS. They just spend a lot more time up at the main stage. It's not like the Vertigo stadium show's, with their b-stages, where you knew exactly where the band would be performing, when not on the main stage. Plus they'd perform full songs out there, Miss Sarajevo & Love & Peace Or Else out on the b-stages was amazing. But for 360 these views, close to the band, were quite fleeting.

I'm a shortie (5'6"), so not a big fan of the back rail of the inner circle. Had a spot here for the Rosebowl show. It was pretty spectacular to see Bono performing out towards the masses, especially as they used more lighting of the crowd for this show, but I guess it'd be better to have the band members performing towards you, than be looking at their backs. Also from the back rail I found it quite hard to see over people, to the main stage. Outer rail is way better in this aspect, looking straight across the catwalk is way better than looking at the back of someone's head.

Didn't spend any time during the shows out near the soundboard. I did however spend time in seats for the encores at Vegas, & the views of the CLAW were quite spectacular. So there'd definitely be plusses to being out near the soundboard, along with the better quality sound of course.

So from my experiences I'd say,
1. FOS
2. Outer rail of catwalk
3. Back rail of inner circle

But, if I was only to see one show, I'd probably go along with the masses here, & vote for Outer rail. It gives you more of an overall view of the show, as the visuals of the screen can be seen. Plus the sound here is better than FOS.

So let me revise my suggestions,
1. Outer rail of catwalk
2. FOS
3. Back rail of inner circle

Offline rattleandhum24

• Up With the Sun
  • All messed up, with opera in my head.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 04:50:10 AM »
Back with photos (some of my better ones):

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Again, theses are from outer rail.

Offline thetak111

• Stateless
  • The Future Needs A Big Kiss!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 11:25:07 PM »
WOW those pics are good

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 11:28:20 PM »
R&H those are amazing

Offline TyraRay

• Elevated
  • Ill come back above, when there is only love <3
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »
I was at the front of the inner circle at rail pretty much in the center but slighty to Adams side, ( which was great cause Bono generally hung around there )
I got in line at 330 am, and although there was approx. 100 people in front of me... I ran faster then I had EVER run before.  :D :D

This time, Im sleeping over and getting the exact same spot :D

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 11:48:22 PM »
What I would say is that getting there 12 hours earlier than someone else does not get you a 12 times better spot.

You could rock up at 5 or 6pm, have a lovely afternoon at home or knocking about town, and get a spot 3 or 4 back on the outer rail.

Sure, I got to the rosebowl at 8am, but got to Vegas at 3:30pm and got largely the same spot, LA inside the circle, Vegas outside the circle. But about 5m difference. Or whatever that is in archaic US measurements... 25 and 2/3 fathoms or something.

Never really understood the sleeping overnight in parking lot thing, but perhaps one day I'll give it a shot.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 01:27:21 AM »
Pics from different spots.
1. Outer Rail, Vegas

2. FOS, Vancouver

3. Back Rail, Rose Bowl

4. RZ#1, Phoenix (similar to Outer Rail, but more side-on)

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »
Dave, I think the only thing your amazing pics show is that there's no BAD place to see a U2 show from!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 12:53:25 PM »
Good point, zooey!  How I wish I could see about 10 shows, and try all different vantage points.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
Thanks Zooey, although as you know, some spots are better thsn others (that outer rail's got your name on it doesn't it).

I've decided to ban myself from taking a camera for SLC. Want to be more in the moment, for at least the 1st show.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
Thanks Zooey, although as you know, some spots are better thsn others (that outer rail's got your name on it doesn't it).

I've decided to ban myself from taking a camera for SLC. Want to be more in the moment, for at least the 1st show.

LOL!  Didn't we say the same thing in Anaheim?  "We're not going to take pics.  We're just going to enjoy the show"  But I know I ended up with near 100 and you ended up with well over that.  I keep thinking that the emptier my pockets/hands are, the faster I can run to the outer rail (oh, how you know me!).  I just don't know if i have the willpower not to bring the camera.  We'll see.  If you can resist the temptation, more power to ya!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 05:46:27 PM »
I didn't bring the camera to the Rosebowl - only Vegas.

Would say I DEFINITELY enjoyed the show and got into it more.

Am only a stills photographer anyway. Can't for the life of me understand why people film entire songs on their crappy quality camcorders and watch the show through a screen.

So to answer the initial post... best place to stand is NOT behind someone filming sh** for youtube.